SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Ubisoft announces Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155001)

stabiz 08-18-09 09:26 AM

I am happy (and not surprised) they chose Uboats, they are after all the coolest submarines, and the SH3 part of these forums still has as much activity as SH4 does. I never got into SH4, and I really hope this one captures me like SH3 did.

Beery 08-18-09 09:30 AM

Why is it, every single time a new SH comes out, folks start whining about "Why a U-boat sim?" or "Why a Pacific sub sim?". I just don't get it. There are other things to be concerned about, and it's not as if Ubisoft has never done a US sub sim! SH4 is a perfectly good US sub sim - it has great graphics and plays really well with any of the major mods that have been made for it (including the one I published). In short, Ubisoft's US sub sim doesn't need an update right now. Their U-boat sim, on the other hand, has dated graphics and significant problems that DO need updating to today's standards. To ignore the U-boat war in favour of US subs would, at this stage, be both stupid and almost criminal.

Sonarman 08-18-09 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 1153255)
which brings me back to U Boats ;)

No... but it's the only game in town at the moment and by supporting it and doing some active campaigning to Ubisoft we may encourage the development of an RN/US addon or (my greatest hope) playable allied surface vessels.

mookiemookie 08-18-09 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beery (Post 1153265)
Why is it, every single time a new SH comes out, folks start whining about "Why a U-boat sim?" or "Why a Pacific sub sim?". I just don't get it. There are other things to be concerned about, and it's not as if Ubisoft has never done a US sub sim! SH4 is a perfectly good US sub sim - it has great graphics and plays really well with any of the major mods that have been made for it (including the one I published). In short, Ubisoft's US sub sim doesn't need an update right now. Their U-boat sim, on the other hand, has dated graphics and significant problems that DO need updating to today's standards. To ignore the U-boat war in favour of US subs would, at this stage, be both stupid and almost criminal.

I agree, though I'd be a complainer if it was a Cold War setting as I have no interest in playing that, so I can understand on some level.

Red Devil 08-18-09 09:53 AM

I am not complaining, just passing an opinion, the whole reason for a forum in the first place.

u-168 08-18-09 10:07 AM

uboats are the best in my opinion of all subs i agree with stabiz coolest ever.

U-168:cool:

Beery 08-18-09 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 1153283)
I am not complaining, just passing an opinion, the whole reason for a forum in the first place.

I never said you were complaining. But I do notice that your main argument against a WW2 U-boat sim is that SH2 was a failure. Hardly a convincing argument since SH3 - also a U-boat sim - was a huge success.

A forum is also for discussion, and that means we're allowed to argue against your opinion.

Zoomer96 08-18-09 10:19 AM

The new SHV trailer looks great!! Can't wait to get my hands on it. I will surly purchase it when it comes out if I don't pre-order. I too prefer the Pacific Theater and will anxiously await the Fleet Boat Add On!! If they have a Fleet Boat Add On they won't need coconut bras, just get some Hula girls in grass skirts at Pearl!!

The Fishlord 08-18-09 10:32 AM

This. Looks. Awesome. Sauce.

Even if it's the most unrealistic thing ever...I'll buy this just for the good looking graphics, SH3 has never managed to convince me that I'm really in a sub.

If it's made as advertised, I think we have our Game of the Decade...:rock:

tater 08-18-09 10:45 AM

The inside stuff is fluff compared to currents, realistic depth keeping (and problems with that), and realistic target behaviors like zig-zagging.

Not having historical ZZ patterns is analogous to a flight sim where targets do not defensively maneuver. It's an astonishing flaw so far.

Jaeger 08-18-09 10:45 AM

i hope they make a sim, not a roleplay...

being able to controle the whole boat in expert mode sounds good to me. that means to controle each engine for their own, not to forget the depth rudders...

i am missing two important points; what about wolfpacks? and willl we be able to navigate? i dont like this gps mode in sh3/4, but a real round world is needed here. when they use the sh4 engine (and the underwater-scenes are looking like sh4), they have only a flat world...

and it would be nice to have the real distance measurement gear for the bridge watch (the TBT couldnt measure distance, they used another gear for that) i would like to guestimate the height of the ship without identifying, this would be realistic...

tater 08-18-09 11:02 AM

I realize that eyecandy sells, but for the SS crowd, the best update would be some answers to technical capabilities of the engine for areas we all have some issues with in SH3/4.

The interiors are swell if they don't drain from eyecandy that is actually useful. Weather and targets are examples of useful eyecandy. Interiors are way down on the list of what is really useful. In many ways a working head would be more useful than a working engine room, for example.

Seriously, at some point the player needs to use the head, but the skipper flat out never needs to "use" the engine room. Will players have to grab an oil can, and know where to lubricate? If something shorts out will the player have to remove screws, find the short, and fix it? If not, what purpose do the rooms serve from a gameplay POV?

The immersion of waling around IS cool, I grant that. But the reality is that you'll do it when you buy the game, then most times you'll be in TC. Other times you'll be with the firing party. I suppose walking around gives you something to do during a long 1:1 time scale DC attack, but you should not be able to give timely orders while doing so.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but interiors don't do much for me—more interactive crew would be great, but they'd need to have a really huge array of response not to get canned sounding after a really short time.

scrapser 08-18-09 11:21 AM

I think a lot of people want another Pacific theater because only two have been made in the past 13 years. Yes, SH4 is a nice looking sim but it did have a lot of (ridiculous) problems. I played SH3 quite a bit because at the time it was the only thing available but the whole time I was using it I was wishing it were the Pacific.

Once the timeline was passed and you no longer see task forces in SH3, I got bored with only encountering merchants. It became too routine. I think in the Pacific you have more opportunity to mix things up with ships and aircraft plus missions (and a much larger theater with lots of island chains and such). So that's my thing with the Pacific versus the Atlantic.

Aside from that it really bothers me that the developers that worked on one generation are not involved with the next one. They make repeated mistakes and create new ones. If UBISoft is interested in putting out a decent sim without spending a lot of money you'd think they would work with the experience and knowledge base that had to have been developed during the course of the earlier versions.

But rarely does common sense prevail. I know SH5 is going to come out buggy as hell...especially with the new FPS perspective. It's just the way they do things.

Redwine 08-18-09 11:30 AM

I will not sleep until next year !!! Sadly Leo cant see this...

Brag 08-18-09 11:32 AM

We are still in the wishlist stage and secondguessing UBI. All I know is I'd better start saving money now to get a rig that will run the game.

What I find almost apalling is the bitching that has already started just because UBI announced the game.

On my part I'm pleasantly surprised that UBI is trying to come up with an improved version of SH.

We have come a long way since SH2!
With GWX we had come a long way from Vanilla. I think we are in for a great treat. :D