SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Do we really need a Silent Hunter 6? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166229)

Heretic 03-27-10 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant (Post 1336656)
An expansion pack is different from DLC. Hope this helps.

DLC is just a delivery mechanism for new content. There is nothing inherent in it that disables modding. For example, there are numerous DLC for Oblivion and Fallout 3, and they remain very moddable and are some of the most modded games out there. The DLC themselves have been modded. Saying DLC means the end of modding is a provably false argument.

goldorak 03-27-10 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1336650)
Oh yeah. I forgot how the U-boat add-on made SH4 unmoddable. Silly me.

You also forgot that the expansion was a paid patch to SH 4. Silly you. :O:

goldorak 03-27-10 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1336672)
DLC is just a delivery mechanism for new content. There is nothing inherent in it that disables modding. For example, there are numerous DLC for Oblivion and Fallout 3, and they remain very moddable and are some of the most modded games out there. The DLC themselves have been modded. Saying DLC means the end of modding is a provably false argument.

Say that again when you won't be able to mod YOUR specific game.
Game companies are very quick to change tune when they see something working. You think Ubisoft is not looking at Activision and how they completely managed to close down the MW modding comunity ? How they are able to capitalise milions of dollars in what are basically 3 maps that the comunity could have designed for free overnight ?

PL_Andrev 03-27-10 01:40 PM

Pfff... did you think about bugs list in "new" SH6?

Bugs list of SH6 will include:
1) Bugs that were known at the SH3
2) Bugs that were known at the SH4
3) Bugs that were known at the SH5
4) And new SH6 bugs.

goldorak 03-27-10 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antar (Post 1336713)
Pfff... did you think about bugs list in "new" SH6?

Bugs list of SH6 will include:
1) Bugs that were known at the SH3
2) Bugs that were known at the SH4
3) Bugs that were known at the SH5
4) And new SH6 bugs.

:haha: :har: well at least the modders will have something to do. :shucks:

Brag 03-27-10 01:58 PM

There is something very wrong with an organization that consistently produces defective products. In Ubi's case, they have consistently produced a worse SH game than the previous one, SH4 and SH5. This indicates very serious internal problem.

It would be nice if they just went away, at least from subsims. :|\\

goldorak 03-27-10 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brag (Post 1336739)
There is something very wrong with an organization that consistently produces defective products. In Ubi's case, they have consistently produced a worse SH game than the previous one, SH4 and SH5. This indicates very serious internal problem.

It would be nice if they just went away, at least from subsims. :|\\

There is one thing I don't understand though.
SH 3 was a commercial success, otherwise SH 4 would never have been made. Now why did Ubisoft didn't put the same kind of "love" in SH 4 as it did in Sh 3 ? The customer base is there, it wouldn't have disappeared from 3 to 4. And the same thing going from 4 to 5. Each time they allocated less and less resources and the game as a result suffers. But the irony of the matter is that the customer base doesn't decrease. The end result is that the gamer at each iteration gets less and less value for its money. It just doesn't seem right.

mcarlsonus 03-27-10 03:55 PM

No, actually. I don't believe the customer base IS there! Very few of the current, "short attention span" target market have the patience or desire to plot such things as torpedo attacks or setting waypoints for time-consuming travel to a distant location where one may wander about forever in search of targets, only to be disappointed and out of Diesel #2...

First person shooters are what THEY like! I suspect Ubi feels there ain't enough of us, "old timers" left to justify any further investment of resources into a dieing genre ( 1 ) and ( 2 ) they have unpaid help ("modders") who can make their trash acceptable FOR FREE !!!

I suffered through, first, the buggy SH4 followed by this fiasco, but, thankfully I only paid $33 including shipping for this particular mistake!

MY ONE-HUNDRETH POST !!!

flag4 03-27-10 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDK1044 (Post 1335360)
You know, we have Silent Hunter III with the truly excellent Grey Wolves Expansion mod. We have Silent Hunter IV and the excellent mods to both the fleet boat game and the U Boat game. Now we have Silent Hunter 5, which by the end of the year will be a heavily modded and very playable game.

I personally wouldn't mind at all if we didn't see another WWII sub sim for 3 or 4 years. At that point, either Ubisoft could release another one, hopefully having learned something from the SH5 fiasco, or there may even be a new interested Publisher by then.

I think the last thing we need is 'Silent Hunter 6 Fiasco in the Pacific' about 12 months down the line.

i think ubi or some dev. should go for WWI U-Boats - yes i know its been done, but maybe in the SH series - coz sooner or later it will do a C.O.D MOD-WAREFARE type thingy and go allllll modern.

mengle 03-27-10 04:19 PM

i don't want no SH VI for the upcomming years maybe in 7 years or so when the have new game improvements

IanC 03-27-10 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flag4 (Post 1336888)
i think ubi or some dev. should go for WWI U-Boats - yes i know its been done, but maybe in the SH series - coz sooner or later it will do a C.O.D MOD-WAREFARE type thingy and go allllll modern.

I think Ubisoft should stick with Prince of Persia.

alexradu89 03-27-10 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1336913)
I think Ubisoft should stick with Prince of Persia.

And Assassin's Creed :shifty:

janh 03-27-10 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldorak (Post 1336704)
You think Ubisoft is not looking at Activision and how they completely managed to close down the MW modding comunity ? How they are able to capitalise milions of dollars in what are basically 3 maps that the comunity could have designed for free overnight ?

Could you elaborate a bit on that? What happened, and what were the consequences?

I suspect that to happen at some point in the future (EDIT) with some of the publishers (but maybe not SH -- based on Elenaiba's response a few weeks ago to the comments on this forum). So maybe this not so surprising. In some sense modders present competition to a company, if that company decides to publish extra-content/addons for cash returns. And if the modders at that point are so talented, dedicated and have the right tools/scripting language etc so powerful that they can provide something similar, or even more detailed/realistic etc.

I assume if Ubisoft decided to publish the 43-45 part, or each other sub separately as DLC or boxed addon, but modders here would be as fast to provide models or mods of close or even better quality, that would not make Ubi personel or their investors very happy.

tonibamestre 03-28-10 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn69 (Post 1336370)
I'd like to see a completely reworked subsim that is based on modern day attack subs. A Silent Hunter meets Dangerous Waters with a fully dynamic campaign based on a "What if" chapter in history.

Everybody wants some accurate portrayal of a historic war for some reason. To me, it's a bit boring, because I know as a German U-boat Captain, I'm a loser regardless. Give us an untold story to live out based on a "what if" scenario where the tides of the war can go either way. I don't believe one sub and its captain are going to win the war single handed, but mission success in the game could be covered with some form of overall success for the entire military based on your success. Regardless, I'd like to see multiple nations represented in the game and all the hardware they've got brought to the table, because the most fun about these types of games to me is exploring something totally new.

Off topic:

BTW, I'm having an absolute blast playing Just Cause 2 on the PC right now for those of you wondering about it. It's so much better than the first version! It's one of the best sandbox free-roam games I've ever played. The graphics and sounds are top notch and the island to explore is freakin HUGE! The game is very stable as well. Just shows that "it IS possible" for devs and software companies to produce something better than they produced before! Take notes from them UBI! :know:

Well,perhaps our hope can be set into Fighter Ops from XSI.It intends to start as a nowadays USAF flight simulator,extremely detailed and acurate,expandable later on via regular basis with more air platforms and sceneries worldwide.The best thing of this new creation is that Naval Warfare will be contemplated aswell down the track,so developers will give the best of themselves building Naval environments,vessels,systems and weapons from scratch.Also,when the time arrives all these items can be discussed into FOps Forum,changing ideas with the developers.
I tell you guys,for all those you like the modern warfare this one can become with the time the great ultimate Combat Sim ever built.

:yeah:

Snestorm 03-28-10 05:08 AM

If it's to follow in the footsteps of SH5, the answer is NO.