SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   A weird graphics issue (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=235630)

Wolfcat 11-25-17 05:20 AM

A weird graphics issue

I recently came back to play a bit DW and ran into a weird issue. When I entered the main menu, I only see a submarine in the middle of the screen. The menu items on the right side are invisible. Sometimes when I hover my mouse over them, they appear briefly and start flickering. The game is running and background music is playing. I can enter each menu item such as options etc, but I just can't see anything. I used to play this game fine on this machine and never had this issue before. This is a plain vanilla install, no mod, no nothing.

p7p8 11-25-17 07:13 AM

Windows XP, 7, 8, 10?

Wolfcat 11-25-17 03:07 PM

Win7. Btw, how do I post a screen shot in this forum?

p7p8 11-25-17 07:44 PM

You can use hosting services, for example imgur.

I use win 7 and i had not any issues with graphics. It could be old drivers or broken instalation. But first try to change settings for cursor:

Only one problem i've had was with strange mouse flickering. Change this to opposite:

Quote:

[Graphics]
.MapStretch No
.ScreenStretchQuality 3
.ParticleMax 500
.ParticleRate 5
.LocalLights Yes
.TransparentWater No
.WantRain Yes
.Disable3D No
.Want3DClouds Yes
.WantVegetation Yes
.AdapterID 0
.DeviceID 0
.ModeID 2
.DetailTextures Yes
.BlendTextures Yes
.Caustics Yes
.WaterParticles Yes
.WaterReflectionQuality 3
.WaterQuality 4
.WaterDrawMethod 1
.CameraFOV 60
.WantShadows No
.ModelDetailTex Yes
.RunInWindow Yes
.Gamma ""
.SoftwareCursor No
(It's from my config - not all options can be good for you)

Wolfcat 11-25-17 08:37 PM

I see. How do I completely remove the game? It seems after reinstalling the problem persists. I wonder if any old broken files still remained.

Wolfcat 11-25-17 09:25 PM

Finally figured out why. For nvidia driver, Antialiasing mode needs set to off or application controlled. Gosh, I lost every old missions and campaigns from reinstalling.

Barleyman 11-25-17 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2527488)
Finally figured out why. For nvidia driver, Antialiasing mode needs set to off or application controlled. Gosh, I lost every old missions and campaigns from reinstalling.

If you had Win8 (or 10), you'd have to run with this Directx wrapper too. No anti-alias there either. There is another wrapper (voodoo 3dfx of all things!) which does do anti-alias.. but it doesn't let you adjust gamma (from config file) so it's right out. Why? Well, narrowband signal lines can be a "little" hard to see on default gamma this day and hardware.

Never mind the AA, you're not really going to be looking at the 3D view much.