SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Surface hydrophone fix? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=191279)

IonicRipper 01-07-12 12:46 PM

Surface hydrophone fix?

Is there a small mod/fix to stop the hydrophones from operating on the surface?
I know there is one for SH5 but i dont remember ever seeing one for SH4...

Hylander_1314 01-07-12 07:34 PM

US Subs had their hydrophones, the round ones, mounted below the waterline so that when surfaced, they would still work. The JT listening gear available later in the war, mounted one on the port quarter foredeck, but they still had the older gear as a backup, and when in the middle of action, the secondary unit seved to keep the skipper informed of what was going on around them so that a DD couldn't as easily sneak up on them.

IonicRipper 01-07-12 10:20 PM

Huh... I was sure those were just cause i had a male sub... :haha:

But seriously i was convinced they were the sonar equipment, had no idea fleet boats had 2 hydrophones :oops:

USS Drum 01-08-12 12:07 AM

The S-boat does not have the submerged hydrophones while the fleet boats do, so, if your in a Sugar Boat and spot a warship at random with no Hydrophone contact don't be alarmed.

Jan Kyster 01-08-12 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonicRipper (Post 1817388)
...had no idea fleet boats had 2 hydrophones :oops:

They had three... http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/sonar/index.htm

:smug:

I'm goin' down 01-08-12 07:49 AM

From the Depths, Kyster strikes again.....

Sailor Steve 01-08-12 10:18 AM

On the other hand, reading the articles I found this:
Quote:

As soon as your submarine surfaces, secure the JP gear,
1. Turn the power switch off.
2.Train the hydrophone to 090 degrees if it is installed on the port side, or to 270 degrees if it is on the starboard side. 3. Hang up the headphones carefully. They are a special kind that cannot be replaced while you are on patrol. Other headphones do not work as well on JP gear.

-page 26
This indicates that the hydrophones were switched off while surfaced, making it hard to pick up contacts.

Hylander_1314 01-08-12 12:28 PM

I wonder if there is any way to impliment this, since it looks like the JP gear was retracted into the hull too? Or if it is hardcoded and un-moddable.

IonicRipper 01-08-12 05:15 PM

For my defense, my interest for subs started with U-Boats... Im somewhat new to US fleetboats :D

Hylander_1314 01-08-12 05:51 PM

That's cool! From reading the link posted above, the WCA Listenning Gear could be retracted into the hull to reduce drag on the surface, so in that position, it would be impossible to hear anything while surfaced.

Makes one wonder if it could be modded to do just that?

TorpX 01-08-12 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 (Post 1817885)
That's cool! From reading the link posted above, the WCA Listenning Gear could be retracted into the hull to reduce drag on the surface, so in that position, it would be impossible to hear anything while surfaced.

Makes one wonder if it could be modded to do just that?

There are bigger problems with the way sound works in the game, and unfortunately, they seem to be unfixable.

Hylander_1314 01-09-12 12:33 AM

Yeah, the work the modders did for SH4 has been phenominal, and all the little details like this one would have been done years ago if they were fixable.

Just thinkin' outloud is all.

Mescator 01-09-12 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1817626)
On the other hand, reading the articles I found this:

This indicates that the hydrophones were switched off while surfaced, making it hard to pick up contacts.

Isn't JP sonar the one mounted on the Bow though? That would be above water when surfaced.

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought WCA was, as the others have said, operation due to it's under keel location.

Sailor Steve 01-09-12 09:28 AM

The Sonar Operator's Manual begins here:
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/sonar/chap1.htm#1A

I'm not sure which is which, even reading the article. I don't see that it matters, though. If the orders are to turn everything off and stow the headphones when surfaced, it doesn't really matter which rig the operator isn't listening to.

TorpX 01-09-12 07:36 PM

I don't know much about the technicalities and the different sound equiptment, but O'Kane mentions using it on the surface. There was concern that when they were on the surface, motionless, that they would be vulnerable to an enemy sub sneaking up on them. The remedy was to have the hydrophones manned and listen. IIRC, they tested this technique inbetween patrols with another fleetboat trying to sneak up to torpedo range while they were motionless. He said they were able to detect the approaching sub in this way. I don't know if this was a common practice, though.