SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   campaign career choices (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236469)

Ichthyos 01-31-18 06:43 PM

campaign career choices

I just finished my 3rd campaign mission that started in Manila in 41.

I managed to get 200k tons sunk, along with 2 kongo class battleships on my last run. No less than 6 destroyers chased me for 6 hours after I sank those two battleships. that was the closest I have come to destruction and escaped.

yay me.

:yeah:

when I got back to port, I got offered a new sub (gato class), or to refuse it.

if I take the sub, I get transferred to Pearl. If I refuse it, I stay where I am.

the question is:

what makes for the more interesting campaign at that point? accepting the new sub and going to Pearl, or refusing it and staying where I am.

I'm leaning towards staying where I am, but don't want to miss out on some great pseudo-historical special mission to "sink the Yamato" or somesuch thing.

any feedback from someone who recalls what happens in the two different paths?

aanker 02-01-18 02:58 PM

I'd take the new Gato class out of Pearl. Do a couple patrols, if you find that you don't like Pearl, pick up the phone and see if you can get transferred back to the South Pacific. A game bug you should be aware of: your first patrol will be one as if you were still in SoWesPac. After that they will be PacFlt patrols.

Based out of Pearl you should get offered a Balao class sooner if the Dev's followed true history of classes available in SoWesPac and PacFlt. In real life the newer classes were available at Pearl first. I haven't paid that much attention to what they (the Dev's) did regarding that.

Happy Hunting!

fireftr18 02-01-18 09:17 PM

It's been a long time since I played stock. I believe, in the game, SoWesPac gets the offer of a Gato at the same time, but requires a transfer to Pearl.

Ichthyos 02-01-18 11:43 PM

that appears to be the case, as I decided to stay in Java... then got overrun by Japanese. oops.

transferred now to Fremantle. no new sub.

good thing I started myself with a Tambor. :)

I assume I will get offered a new sub as soon as I can transfer to a bigger base, like Brisbane.

... decided to go back and see what Manila looks like now during my current mission.

egads... battleships EVERYWHERE!

also... up to 8 destroyers protecting each of them. it's been like playing whack a mole.

1. fire 2 torpedoes
2. crash dive to 200 feet (below thermo)
3. go silent
4. wait 10 mins.
5. repeat
6. $

it's taken about 6 hours, but have nailed 3 BBs so far. Ise class.

only suffered 13% damage to hull and minor (already repaired) damage to engines from a lucky destro shot.

think I will stop this game at 4 bbs. it gets a little nervewracking. plus, it's almost morning, and no way am I going to try this stunt in daylight.

max-peck 02-02-18 09:35 PM

Always take the gato ��

That might just be me, I love the gato class subs ��

As you have found, I think you can take the promotion to a better sub, and then a few patrols later transfer yourself to the bit of the Pacific that you prefer.

At least that is how I like to play

Good hunting mate ����