SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   I gotta call BS! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232544)

A-Ganger 07-14-17 04:24 PM

I gotta call BS!

Been playing the campaign, currently on Russion_Rebellion. I finished it earlier but wanted to play it again.

I call BS cos NO WAY IN HELL is the Akula untraceable on Sonar!

I mean I even turned on Truth to see where 1 of the 2 were and Sonar STILL cannot show him?
Less than 5k away. I see everything in the ocean except the Akula!

Onkel Neal 07-15-17 09:01 AM

AI glitch, perhaps? Or maybe the game souped up the Akula's stealth for a more challenging mission....

FPSchazly 07-15-17 09:22 AM

Sometimes the environmental conditions can be rather unfavorable. A sand bottom type can reduce sound strength by 50% and a mud bottom type can reduce it by 75%. Also, if it's the Gepard (Akula-III), that is a quiet boat.

A-Ganger 07-15-17 10:21 AM

I couldn't imagine them making the Akula so quiet that it's undetectable?

I mean I found everyone else and even on cheat could never register that guy on Sonar.

I think it may just be a bit buggy in the particular mission.

Stewy1 07-16-17 06:12 AM

If you're using the RA mod, they have the Akula II improved at Source Level 55, which is two better than a Flt III LA boat, and only one worse than a Seawolf. I think there's a little bit of Russian bias because it's a Russian Mod.

I've adjusted the Sources Levels in my game (using DW Edit) to something which I think is a bit more accurate...

Sturgeon - 56
LA Flt 1 - 54
LA Flt 2 - 53
LA Flt 3 - 52
Seawolf - 50
Akula I - 56
Akula I Imp - 55
Akula II - 54
Akula II Imp - 53

Am I right? Who knows!
Is it perfect? No, but the tweaks make the game a little better, I think. I'm still fine tuning a lot of the subs' SL values...

Cheers!
Stew

A-Ganger 07-16-17 10:23 AM

Thanks Stewy1

I'm not using any mods yet. I want to finish the Vanilla DW first for the experience/learning on how everything works.

Been at this one mission where you gotta do 70% damage to the Carrier Hermes..
Sonar in Kilo is for lack of a better term, horrid.... Even when I turn Crew off I can rarely every get it to assign a tracker to the right target.
Like last night, S9, every time I tried to add track it would track S8 which was like next to it or behind it.

Very difficult to add tracker when contacts are close together. And in this mission there are about 8 ships all together around the Hermes..

Maybe today is the day I win lol

Nippelspanner 07-16-17 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewy1 (Post 2500540)
If you're using the RA mod, they have the Akula II improved at Source Level 55, which is two better than a Flt III LA boat, and only one worse than a Seawolf. I think there's a little bit of Russian bias because it's a Russian Mod.

I've adjusted the Sources Levels in my game (using DW Edit) to something which I think is a bit more accurate...

Sturgeon - 56
LA Flt 1 - 54
LA Flt 2 - 53
LA Flt 3 - 52
Seawolf - 50
Akula I - 56
Akula I Imp - 55
Akula II - 54
Akula II Imp - 53

Am I right? Who knows!
Is it perfect? No, but the tweaks make the game a little better, I think. I'm still fine tuning a lot of the subs' SL values...

Cheers!
Stew

Hi stewy,
this is actually rather accurate, it seems.
Akula I (imp) and Akula II+ are indeed very silent boats, at least to every source I could find about it, including US Naval Intelligence.
According to what I've seen, the Akula II is more quiet than the LA FLTIII.
I thought these values are fishy as well, but it seems it is, more or less, accurate.

Who knows for sure...

Stewy1 07-17-17 05:19 AM

Yes, I need to fix that up. I've been working off guides like this:

http://gentleseas.blogspot.com.au/20...ine-noise.html

The Akula II Imp is indeed quieter than an LA Flt III. The Victor III is also quite quiet.

I'm only just getting into learning the Russian boats, so my numbers are a real work in progress.

Cheers mate,
Stew

Mike Abberton 07-17-17 09:28 AM

Are you looking in broadband or narrow band?

A-Ganger 07-17-17 12:45 PM

The Kilo sonar is really bugged.
Yesterday, same issues with assigning A/B trackers.. Takes 20 clicks and you maybe get it to work.
Also, contacts remain in the list even after going in TMA and dropping them.

Good thing I don't have to play that sub often lol