SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Elder Scrolls V in the works - direct sequel to Oblivion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177327)

Takeda Shingen 01-07-12 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krauter (Post 1817181)
Thanks!

Also, has anyone maxed out smithing yet? Im close to lvl 50 and cant wait to get Lydia out of that Steel armor and into Orcish or something better. Just a pita to get all the materials

I maxed out smithing on a nord warrior. The dragon armor is very powerful, but looks crappy. The daedric armor looks amazing but was probably not something that my nord would wear. So, I went light and suck to the scaled armor. Fully upgraded and with the appropriate perks, it is very powerful and it looks like something that a self-respecting Son of Skyrim would wear into battle.

Dowly 01-07-12 03:16 PM

Yeah, maxed smithing very early in the game. Unless it has been changed, all
the items give the same amount of EXP IIRC. So, just buy iron and leather straps
in great quantities and spam iron daggers. :O:

Krauter 01-07-12 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1817194)
Yeah, maxed smithing very early in the game. Unless it has been changed, all
the items give the same amount of EXP IIRC. So, just buy iron and leather straps
in great quantities and spam iron daggers. :O:

Aye that's what I've been doing :D

Currently working for the Dark Brotherhood so not yet ready to use heavy armor (that and a mix of a dragon priest helm and the rest of the DB armor looks pretty sweet). But Lydia needs an over haul. I've been upgrading her weapons but not the armor.

Takeda Shingen 01-07-12 03:22 PM

I make lots of hide bracers. 1 leather and 2 leather straps tend to give me more bang for my buck.

Krauter 01-07-12 03:55 PM

Aye that might work as well, especially since I've been having a lot of fun hunting deer and wolves in the Rift. I managed to outfit Lydia in full Orc armor + Enchanted Orc Battleaxe so she looks pretty sweet.

I plan on going to Riverwood and getting the elven follower there to help me with my archery skills and maybe use him as a follower for a while, what is the best light armor that still maintains a look that would be plausible in Skyrim?

Takeda Shingen 01-07-12 04:05 PM

Is Lydia bonused for two-handed weapons? I thought that she was one-handed and block.

Krauter 01-07-12 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen (Post 1817224)
Is Lydia bonused for two-handed weapons? I thought that she was one-handed and block.

I'm not sure, all I know is that when I give her an orc shield and sword (sword upgraded) she takes the battle ax that is stock so I just gave her the battle ax and perked it and enchanted it.

seaniam81 01-08-12 01:33 AM

The skyrim guide says Lydia is One-handed, heavy armour, archery, and block. I think she just pulls out the weapon that gives the most damage.

Krauter 01-08-12 10:17 PM

Ah ok, I will change her back to an Orcish or Ebony sword and shield when I get the chance. Just finished up the Dark Brotherhood quests and have outfitted the (*SPOILER*)

Dawnstar Sanctuary

(*END SPOILER*)
with all of its stuff.

Also, what houses are recommended to get first? I've already got Breezehome but I've been looking to get another aestetically pleasing and useful house. Preferably either in Solitude, or the Dwarven City.

kiwi_2005 01-09-12 04:45 AM

back in Skyrim after having a couple weeks break, just did that doggy quest what a pain in the backside that dog is, so yea I chose to keep the axe and bye bye doggy. No regrets. :DL

0rpheus 01-09-12 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krauter (Post 1818032)
Also, what houses are recommended to get first? I've already got Breezehome but I've been looking to get another aestetically pleasing and useful house. Preferably either in Solitude, or the Dwarven City.

I've heard the Solitude one is the best on multiple occasions, costs 20k gold iirc and has an enchanting table. I quite fancy property in Markarth as well, I like the city more than the others.

Got this on PC and console now, it's just glorious. 120 hours on console, 47 on PC and still not even finished the main quest yet! Done Companions, DB & TG, and the College in my various playthroughs, though I enjoyed my mage more than I am my sneaky archer if I'm honest. :D

Dowly 01-09-12 09:15 AM

Bought the house in Solitude once, but can't say it was worth it. The only good
thing I found was the mannequin you could put your armor on.

Breezehome is just fine, you got infinite storing space, alchemy table, smith right
next door and enchanting table at the Jarl's place.

The first thing I'll do when the CK gets released is find a good custom made player
house mod. :yep:

frau kaleun 01-09-12 09:35 AM

Lol I can't believe anyone would keep Lydia as an active follower long enough to outfit her with fancy armor. I'd forgotten what a PITA she is until I restarted with a new character.

Lydia: "I've got your back."

Me: "Yes, very commendable. Unfortunately my front is wedged into this tiny space where the <insert highly desirable or necessary item here> was hidden. There is nowhere for me to go but 'back,' so can I have my 'back' back, please?"

Lydia: "Huh?"

Me: :stare: *jostle bump jostle jostle nudge bump jostle bump*

Lydia: "OW!"

Me: *sigh*

She wasn't a bad fighter but she didn't seem very bright. She was always getting in my way, especially after I'd leveled up a bit and could take on more opponents on my own. I think maybe she was intended to be a "starter follower" who would take care of some of the lower level combat stuff in the earlier, "gimme" quests in the Riverwood/Whiterun area, but IME she soon becomes more of a liability in some ways.

I put soul trap enchantment on my bow as soon as possible so I could go out and hunt and 1) get pelts and hides for leather to help with my smithing and 2) get some cheaper soul gems filled up to use for enchanting and recharging stuff and 3) get some archery/sneak practice and use up some of the cheap throw-away arrows that I keep accumulating. I didn't dare *not* take Lydia along, because I never knew what I might run into and I didn't want to be caught in a melee alone.

However every time I shot an arrow at an animal that didn't die immediately, she'd treat it like an enemy that was attacking me and start chasing it all over the place and firing more arrows at it. So, you know, I've wounded a huge elk down to about half health with the first arrow, but I can't stalk it and finish it off because Lydia is now chasing it across the tundra screaming and shooting at it. Even if I tried to follow her in case she killed it and I could still get some supplies from it, it still didn't pan out as she never seemed to succeed in actually finishing off anything I'd hit. She'd just scare it so far away that I couldn't finish it myself.

She would continue chasing whatever poor critter I'd shot at as long as I had my bow drawn and didn't move away from the vicinity. She'd chase something from Whiterun to Rorikstead and back if I let her. :haha:

Perhaps I should've taken a wild shot at a distant mammoth just to watch the ensuing hijinks. :hmmm: :O:

Anyway I made her a steel helmet and made sure she had as good a bow/sword/shield as I could manage at the time, and that was it. Kept her around long enough to grab enough swag to buy and fully furnish the house in Breezehome, where she now resides in perpetuity or until I get very, very poor and desperate for some help.

Went to Riften as a little side excursion and hired Marcurio and sent Lydia home. What was cool was that when my new follower and I left Riften on our way to my next adventure, we actually passed Lydia on the road back to Whiterun hold.

At my current character's level(s) - working my way up through the 20s - having a mage as a follower is awesome. He gets and actually makes good use of any staff I find and want to give him, which I don't do as well since I concentrate on two-handed weapons and if I've got a smaller one in my right hand it's because I want a shield or maybe the flame spell for draugr immolation in the other. And it's so much fun to watch him battle another magic user. He's also more of (and a much better) conversationalist than Lydia, altho that's not really an astounding achievement.

I've now got him fitted out with Elven armor, all enchanted to boost his Magicka and/or Stamina and/or Destruction skills as is all the jewelry I've given him. I may throw some Resist Frost bling in there if he doesn't stop complaining about the Skyrim climate. :O:

I gave him up with my last character so I could travel with Vilkas as follower/spouse but I don't know if I can let him go this time. He's my own little Imperial Magigolo. :D

BTW for those of you playing out of Breezehome, there is a mod that will put an enchanting table in with your alchemy set. You have to buy the alchemy furnishings first and then enable the mod. It removes the small table and chair to the right of the alchemy table, and puts one wider table in there with the alchemy set on the left and an arcane enchanter on the right. Saves all that running back and forth to Dragonsreach to use Farengal's enchanter. :yeah:

The only thing I don't like about Breezehome (with the arcane enchanter mod working) is how small it is, which means there is way less storage space. It also gets very crowded if you have Lydia there as housecarl plus another follower hanging out on the premises. Heaven forbid you should marry a third person and have him/her move in there. :o

What I've heard/read is that the house in Solitude is not worth the price even when you get it furnished - but the house in Windhelm, when cleaned up and fully furnished, is by far the best property, with just about every possible convenience available for purchase once you buy the house. Windhelm also has a blacksmith with all the available workspaces and a smelter on site, and he generally has enough money to take stuff off your hands if you're picking up or forging a lot of weapons and armor. There is a good market area near the blacksmith for more bartering in weapons and armor, general merchandise, food, and alchemical supplies. For some things you may still want to hit up the wizard in the palace, but that shouldn't happen too often.

BUT - you can't have the house in Windhelm without getting involved in the civil war, because it doesn't become available until that storyline is either fully or partially resolved depending on which side you take and nothing happens with that storyline unless you get involved in it. :wah:

I wonder how my Imperial Magigolo will feel when his Skyrim Sugar Mama joins the Stormcloaks? :O:

frau kaleun 01-09-12 09:58 AM

Anybody know if you can do something to "reset" the quest in Dawnstar about everybody having nightmares and the priest takes you to the old temple?

I was in Dawnstar on a stopover between Windhelm and something I had to do outside Solitude and I sort of accidentally stumbled into this nightmare temple quest thingy which I didn't want to do but since it seemed like the location was right there and didn't involve running all over the place I thought, fine, I'm here anyway, might as well take care of it.

But then I followed the priest to the temple and he went in and I went in behind him but my follower didn't follow me in, which made me go back out to make sure he hadn't just... disappeared or accidentally been released from service or told to wait or something. Then when I went back in the temple... the priest is gone. The quest marker shows the direction I need to go but I can't go there, I finally gave up and looked it up and apparently the priest does a spell and walks through a wall and you have to follow him through and I guess I missed my chance. Now I think he's just stuck in there all alone and there's no way for me to finish the quest.

I'll check and see if he's around anywhere when I go back to Dawnstar but if not I'd like to just reset everything like it never happened and put him back in the inn where he started.

soopaman2 01-09-12 10:11 AM

I honestly found the best companion to be Aela the Huntress.

She keeps her distance in combat, will train your bow to 75 IIRC (which you can promptly ask for your money back). Just gotta marry her.

As for a quest reset in Dawnstar. I do not know. These games can be buggy at times, and quests can mess up. I had some not complete before. Or I complete them and their waypoints are still on my map and journal.

Revert to old save perhaps?

You do save often? TES since Morrowind have been buggy. The more open ended a game is, the more exploits and bugs that exist, and only so many could be found by playtesters when you can easily soak 200 plus hours into one playthrough.

Yes I cat-assed it!:oops: