SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Spheres and boxes (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232797)

itadriver 07-30-17 02:51 AM

Spheres and boxes

Hi,
I know that spheres are for collisions and boxes are for damages, but

if in a zone there is a box but there is no sphere, the AI is able to calculate the damage in that zone or not? For example: DD have just one sphere in the middle of the hull. If its aft is hitted, the AI calculate the damage points in that zone?
Thanks

the_frog 07-30-17 04:07 AM

Ships that break into parts have the spheres linked to those parts. Check the the damage controllers of the *_F and *_B models.

By the way, spheres do define the shape of the ship, thus, controll collisions with other objects. The boxes do work without the spheres, meaning they react to direct hits. Magnetic torpedo fuses, however, seem triggered by spheres.

gap 07-30-17 04:17 AM

Ciao itadriver,
the answer to your question might depend on the unit type: sea, air, land etc. From my my limited experience with the land unit I am currently messing with, spheres are not needed for ammo damage detection and I suspect them to only be used for collision detection with the camera and with other collisionable objects

Maybe others with a more comprehensive knowledge of the game, will give you a more specific answer relative to sea units :salute:

itadriver 07-30-17 04:49 AM

Ok thanks :)

itadriver 07-30-17 06:15 AM

another thing. where were tubes on hks4 thor? I haven't find anything.

Kendras 07-30-17 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_frog (Post 2503645)
Magnetic torpedo fuses, however, seem triggered by spheres.

Do you mean that magnetic torpedoes explode only when they hit a collision sphere (this is what I suspect) ? In this case, this would be a 'fake' magnectic behaviour... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2503646)
spheres are not needed for ammo damage detection and I suspect them to only be used for collision detection with the camera and with other collisionable objects

I think so too.

itadriver 08-02-17 09:22 AM

so if i set AI ships with only three spheres (front, middle and back), there should be no problems and older pc can have easiest life :)

gap 08-02-17 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itadriver (Post 2504288)
so if i set AI ships with only three spheres (front, middle and back), there should be no problems and older pc can have easiest life :)

The only problem I can see is that the three big spheres wouldn't follow ship models so strictly. Weird collision interactions are to be expected, both with other vesseld and with the seabed (in shallow waters), and magnetic pistols might be rendered buggy.
All in all, my susggestion is to keep small-sized spheres near the keels, the prows and the sterns, and to place the big spheres near the center and center-top section of each ship, but that's probably how stock ships are set anyway :O:

the_frog 08-03-17 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=Kendras;2503693]Do you mean that magnetic torpedoes explode only when they hit a collision sphere (this is what I suspect) ? In this case, this would be a 'fake' magnectic behaviour... :)

All SH3 is "fake" :D