SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Just a note on the SH3 Modding Community (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228380)

urfisch 11-12-16 07:57 PM

Just a note on the SH3 Modding Community

Im german, so my english might not be the best...anyway. Few weeks ago, i recognized the game is over 10 years old now. And still there are so many people working on nice mods. Beside this, there has been created a wonderful amount of mods for sh3 from very talented people. I met so fascinating captains here, learned much and had much fun (cudos to skwasjer, Racerboy, DivingDuck, HanSolo78 and many others). Getting all these into the WOLFPACK Crew would be a great step forward in getting the best subsim ever made.

And i love, to see its all so alive here. There are 100-200 skippers every evening online, only reading the sh3 modding section. Thanks to all you nice people, who made it possible for me to have such nice hours, days and weeks in the modding of this game. In the last 11(!) years. OMG so much time has passed.

:yeah:

And as a footnote, my "Uboat Story, how all started".

My start in the fascination of Uboats was the movie "Das Boot". I was a little boy of 6 or 7 years when my parents went for a dinner party and i was allowed to watch this film on TV. You have to know, watching TV still was a special event at that time ;) I was so much cought in the intense atmosphere of the film, i will never forget. Few weeks later i found the book "Iron Coffins" in the shelf of my uncle at my grandmas house and was deeply sunk into it. I still own it, and its extremly used from many readings. The "last Boat" in Laboe/Kiel was then visited every 2-3 years in summer :D I later bought the movie on VHS Videotape, just to own it and started modelling with Revell Type VII plastic models, i never finished as the grade of detail was not meeting my expectations (same experience i had with modding in SH3 xD). Later i learned, there are high detail parts made of metal. But in the 90s they where so expensive, simply not in reach for a schoolboy.

Then, 20 years later i was student for graphics and still very interested in german uboats of ww2. I remember the day of release, in march 2005. Must have been the 14th i think. Was a cloudy day with some sunny parts. Cold. I phoned many game shops in my hometown Hamburg, to see if some already have it for sale earlier. Then i found one, who had it 1 day before official release and i travelled over an hour through the whole city to get there. The moment i stepped out the shop, with the game in my hands, unforgetable. The shop does not exist any more. But i drive often along this street as its a main road out of the city and think of this nice moment. I would say, i never had another game, that took such powerful my passion and attention. Great to see, im not alone. Want to say, im proud being a member here.

*hug Onkel Neal and the rest of the skippers here*

:salute: :up:

Kendras 11-12-16 08:32 PM

Nice reading. :)

It's also one of my favorite games, and I think it may never stop to improve if passionate modders are still working on ! :up:

HanSolo78 11-13-16 03:36 PM

I have to add... it is a pleasure to meet people from the old gang here back again. Somehow... SH3 started a fascination and it is still burning here :subsim:

Rickster1 11-14-16 03:47 AM

I have to say that i have been plying this game on and off since it came out, each year i leave it for other games but come back to it every year mainly thanks to the great modders out there, thank you.

Fubar2Niner 11-14-16 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urfisch (Post 2446295)
Im german, so my english might not be the best...anyway. Few weeks ago, i recognized the game is over 10 years old now. And still there are so many people working on nice mods. Beside this, there has been created a wonderful amount of mods for sh3 from very talented people. I met so fascinating captains here, learned much and had much fun (cudos to skwasjer, Racerboy, DivingDuck, HanSolo78 and many others). Getting all these into the WOLFPACK Crew would be a great step forward in getting the best subsim ever made.

And i love, to see its all so alive here. There are 100-200 skippers every evening online, only reading the sh3 modding section. Thanks to all you nice people, who made it possible for me to have such nice hours, days and weeks in the modding of this game. In the last 11(!) years. OMG so much time has passed.

:yeah:

And as a footnote, my "Uboat Story, how all started".

My start in the fascination of Uboats was the movie "Das Boot". I was a little boy of 6 or 7 years when my parents went for a dinner party and i was allowed to watch this film on TV. You have to know, watching TV still was a special event at that time ;) I was so much cought in the intense atmosphere of the film, i will never forget. Few weeks later i found the book "Iron Coffins" in the shelf of my uncle at my grandmas house and was deeply sunk into it. I still own it, and its extremly used from many readings. The "last Boat" in Laboe/Kiel was then visited every 2-3 years in summer :D I later bought the movie on VHS Videotape, just to own it and started modelling with Revell Type VII plastic models, i never finished as the grade of detail was not meeting my expectations (same experience i had with modding in SH3 xD). Later i learned, there are high detail parts made of metal. But in the 90s they where so expensive, simply not in reach for a schoolboy.

Then, 20 years later i was student for graphics and still very interested in german uboats of ww2. I remember the day of release, in march 2005. Must have been the 14th i think. Was a cloudy day with some sunny parts. Cold. I phoned many game shops in my hometown Hamburg, to see if some already have it for sale earlier. Then i found one, who had it 1 day before official release and i travelled over an hour through the whole city to get there. The moment i stepped out the shop, with the game in my hands, unforgetable. The shop does not exist any more. But i drive often along this street as its a main road out of the city and think of this nice moment. I would say, i never had another game, that took such powerful my passion and attention. Great to see, im not alone. Want to say, im proud being a member here.

*hug Onkel Neal and the rest of the skippers here*

:salute: :up:

Hear! Hear

Great to see you again urfish, still using your fine Mod-Strike Beta after all this time :salute:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

urfisch 11-28-16 07:20 AM

aye! feels good, to read from the old "haudegen" ;)

:Kaleun_Salute:

P_Funk 12-12-16 04:32 AM

I was still in high school when this game came out. I found it in of all places a PC Gamer mag. Remember when we used to buy those in print!?

More than ten years later my love for the game and more importantly this community is is still strong. Never again will there be one like this. :salute:

Onkel Neal 12-12-16 06:59 AM

Very nice!:Kaleun_Applaud:

Jimbuna 12-12-16 08:49 AM

A great community and a great spirit :Kaleun_Cheers:

Vonotto 12-21-16 03:30 PM

Im an old hand and still pop in from time to time. Have not had time to play inover a year due to family issues, but I hope to play reinstall and play soon.

spad 12-22-16 11:55 AM

Hello chaps,
Today was the first time in years that I decided to play SH III, but I gave up after a couple of hours because I had forgotten how buggy my modded copy was. However I liked the game so much I was determined not to give up so I thought I'd try the Subsim forum first to seek advice before I tried modding again. I must admit I was very surprised to find that the site was still so active and vibrant, I expected to find a ghost site with very little chance of getting any help at all, yet here you all are, as enthusiastic and committed as ever, it's made my day!
spad

Kendras 12-22-16 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spad (Post 2453735)
Hello chaps,
Today was the first time in years that I decided to play SH III, but I gave up after a couple of hours because I had forgotten how buggy my modded copy was. However I liked the game so much I was determined not to give up so I thought I'd try the Subsim forum first to seek advice before I tried modding again. I must admit I was very surprised to find that the site was still so active and vibrant, I expected to find a ghost site with very little chance of getting any help at all, yet here you all are, as enthusiastic and committed as ever, it's made my day!
spad

Hey ! Welcome back !!!

:Kaleun_Salute:

spad 12-22-16 12:29 PM

Hi Kendras,
I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment trying to figure out the site, I'm not the most computer savvy guy in the world. Can I ask you how I can turn off the depth charging, its doing my head in.

THEBERBSTER 12-22-16 04:16 PM

Hi spad
A couple of head ache tablets and a darkened room and you be fine in a couple of hours or dead.
Peter
https://s23.postimg.org/k5dj8fk6j/ls...oad_banner.gif