SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   USS Narwhal mod not working, help? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230472)

Drakomis 03-19-17 02:12 PM

USS Narwhal mod not working, help?

[*RESOLVED* Thank you Propbeanie and Barracuda!]

Hello all,

First of all thank you to the site guy who gave the warm welcome via e-mail after the donation, I appreciate that. I also thank everyone for their valuable info and dedication to these games on this site. Without it, I wouldn't be having fun.

Now onto my question.

I have the steam version of the game. I donated because I wanted to download the narwhal, as it is one of my favorite WWII sub designs. I did so, with the included texture pack and TMO, and did everything according to the instructions. I even downloaded the add-on, "u-boat missions", to update the game to 1.5.

The sub still isn't showing up anywhere. It's not available in the drop down menus, or anything. I have the mods enabled, and I did try disabling one or two of the mods (such as TMO and TEXTURE) while leaving the original craft file loaded to see if that helped. No go.

What am I doing wrong?

If it helps, I have a windows 7 system and I did enable the game to go beyond 2 gigs of memory with the suggested application (which works wonderfully and FAST now, thank you very much!).

Thanks,
Drakomis

Aktungbby 03-19-17 03:08 PM

welcome aboard!

Drakomis!:Kaleun_Salute:

propbeanie 03-19-17 05:04 PM

Hey Drakomis, welcome to SubSim.

I'm going by memory here, and I have a difficult time remembering my name sometimes, so fair warning... but de-activate all your mods to where you just have Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific v1.5. Now try to activate the "New Narwhal K v 1.8.5" mod only, and see if the boat shows up. If it works, great. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

If it does work, and you're going to do TMO2.5, that mod has its own version of the Narwhal that will overwrite the Bonus Mod, so de-activate it. Activate TMO, then the Narwhal K v 1.8.5 mod again, then the "New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support" mod. Seems to me that you can add the "Narwhal Graphics support" mod last... Someone may have to slap my wrist and correct me... You most likely will not be able to add any other mods to the mix, until you become familiar with the UPC files, and can edit those. A lot of mods overwrite the CareerStart and the Flotillas files, and that would wipe-out the references to your Bonus Mod... There is a plan to make a modification for the Narwhal Bonus for Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, but we haven't gotten to that just yet...

Drakomis 03-19-17 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2473711)
Hey Drakomis, welcome to SubSim.

I'm going by memory here, and I have a difficult time remembering my name sometimes, so fair warning... but de-activate all your mods to where you just have Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific v1.5. Now try to activate the "New Narwhal K v 1.8.5" mod only, and see if the boat shows up. If it works, great. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

If it does work, and you're going to do TMO2.5, that mod has its own version of the Narwhal that will overwrite the Bonus Mod, so de-activate it. Activate TMO, then the Narwhal K v 1.8.5 mod again, then the "New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support" mod. Seems to me that you can add the "Narwhal Graphics support" mod last... Someone may have to slap my wrist and correct me... You most likely will not be able to add any other mods to the mix, until you become familiar with the UPC files, and can edit those. A lot of mods overwrite the CareerStart and the Flotillas files, and that would wipe-out the references to your Bonus Mod... There is a plan to make a modification for the Narwhal Bonus for Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, but we haven't gotten to that just yet...

Hey Propbeanie,

No, it didn't work. I did as you instructed and a few variations on the load order for the mod launcher. Do you have any ideas as to why it WOULDN'T be showing up at all? Is this abnormal?

Thanks,
Drakomis

propbeanie 03-19-17 06:35 PM

Somewhat, but let me ask you this then: What folder do you have Silent Hunter installed into via your Steam Account?

Drakomis 03-19-17 06:42 PM

It's this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

propbeanie 03-19-17 07:04 PM

I don't know how much you've used of the Steam Interface, but it'd be best to re-install the game to a different folder. Windows is getting in your way it "ITS" program files directory. You're not supposed to be in there, working behind Windows' back with JSGME and not getting proper clearance from Redmond... Anyway, Peter "THEBERSTER" has a link in his signature to his SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX thread (good reading), specifically Post #3 Moving Steam To A Different Directory. Log-in to your Steam online account and do like dodougla mentions. I don't remember if you have to uninstall and then reinstall, or if Steam lets you just move it, can't remember... Anyway, once you have the game moved, hopefully the mods will "stick", or actually activate, instead of just looking like they did... Once you move SH4, try just the base Narwhal mod in stock again, and make sure that works...

Drakomis 03-19-17 07:11 PM

Propbeanie,

Not really sure whose back I'm going behind, far as I'm aware that's the standard way to install mods through steam. I do it for every other game and, for example, the GW mod for SHIII was installed in the same steam directory and works fine. I wasn't aware I was violating something? Unfortunately I have no idea who Redmond is.

I hate to say it, but all this registry editing to get a single mod to work? I wasn't aware steam was such an issue for the game. If I may ask, is this a requirement?

Thanks,
Drakomis

EDIT:
I've noted the instructions require me to have a DVD. I'm sure I could purchase a DVD box from Amazon or somewhere notable, but if I am allowed to assume, are these instructions you're giving me stating that the mod itself does not work simply because of Steam?

Drakomis 03-19-17 07:23 PM

Addendum:

If there are no other alternatives than editing the registry and, from what I can see being linked, purchasing a DVD box of SH4 to do a clean install, then I'll be happy to leave this subject alone. There's certain mods and programs I'll do that with (i.e. KSP and so forth), but for a simple ship? I think I tried to followed the instructions by using the recommended mod installer, so what I'll do next is delete the mod installer and simply install the mod itself (if possible). Otherwise I'll tag this one down as unusable until I figure out where the conflict is.

I appreciate the help and welcome any further replies and clarifications on the points you addressed, Propbeanie.

Don't worry, I have no intention of asking for refunds or anything for my donation. If anything, this community deserves it with how committed it is. Plus one of the mods did work for a separate game, and I'm really pleased with the realism presented in SHIII thanks to it.

EDIT:

I thought about what you meant, Propbeanie, when you mentioned "going behind windows back". I think you mean the (x86) folder is unusable for mod installs or I'm not "supposed" to edit it. I have very limited technical knowledge of the subject and in no way make any assumptions you do as well (as far as I am aware you could be a computer geek), but I do have admin privileges as this is a rig set-up for gaming. For further clarification on my part, I always install mods in these directories, typically as instructed, and never have any issues beyond "human error" (i.e. me). This was why I originally asked in here, as something so simple as this install still didn't work. Your explanation brought a question to my mind about that, which was why I asked for clarification from you on the subject. Is this mod not SUPPOSED to be used in this manner or is it SUPPOSED to be only used for a DVD box install? That was what I was wondering.

If that's the case then, yes, the mod is useless to me. I have two CD-DVD drives but I rarely use them, and I have no intention of not using steam unless otherwise necessary. Sorry for any confusion on my part.

propbeanie 03-19-17 08:42 PM

You'll have to forgive my irreverent attitude towards Microsoft... You're not going behind anyone's back, and no need for registry editing or anything fancy like that. Windows has what is referred to as User Access Control (UAC), first used in Windows Vista. Microsoft decided that since a lot of the Support issues they were experiencing were caused by what they call "user error", by the user poking in places they really shouldn't, it was decided to not only protect the operating system folders and files, but to do similar to several other areas of the computer, including anything in the Program Files folder(s). Therefore, when you go to do some "techniques" that you might consider as "normal", Microsoft considers them an attempt to alter your computer in a potentially harmful manner. Hence, when you go to do a mod on SH4 in the Program Files (x86) folder, Windows will "restore" the altered files to their original state. That is why you want to "move" the install to a different folder. Again, I'm sorry for clouding the issue. If you could have heard my sarcastic tone of voice when I was saying "Windows protects you from yourself". This is one of the problems with all thing internet... :03:

What most users do with their game, is to install to a different folder, and when the dialog comes up on where to install, some folks will just delete the "Program Files (x86)\" portion off and make it "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", or whatever they want to call it. What you end up with is an install that Windows no longer tries to "protect".

Similarly, since Steam is involved in protecting copyright licensing, they have to track where you have the game installed through their front-end, which is why, if you want to move a newer Steam version game, you have to use your online account and the install manager there. That way, you have Steam satisfied, Windows satisfied, and the user satisfied (other than having to remember all this extraneous garbage that we shouldn't have to bother with, but that's another story for some other time - sigh)...

All you want to do is have Steam install the game elsewhere, and then install your mods in this order:
  1. TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
  2. TMO_25_small_patch
  3. New Narwhal K v 1.8.5
  4. New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support
  5. Narwhal_Graphics support

if you're going to do TMO, else drop it from the list... I just went through the install several times, and that's the only way the Narwhal runs in TMO... There might still be issues with other aspects of the game with it, I cannot remember, but what I do remember is that being in the Narwhal, you will get every kind of SpecOp mission there is in the game... My first one always seems to be to recon Hiroshima Harbor... I have survived that particular mission maybe once in ten years of playing... :lol:

Drakomis 03-19-17 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2473749)
You'll have to forgive my irreverent attitude towards Microsoft... You're not going behind anyone's back, and no need for registry editing or anything fancy like that. Windows has what is referred to as User Access Control (UAC), first used in Windows Vista. Microsoft decided that since a lot of the Support issues they were experiencing were caused by what they call "user error", by the user poking in places they really shouldn't, it was decided to not only protect the operating system folders and files, but to do similar to several other areas of the computer, including anything in the Program Files folder(s). Therefore, when you go to do some "techniques" that you might consider as "normal", Microsoft considers them an attempt to alter your computer in a potentially harmful manner. Hence, when you go to do a mod on SH4 in the Program Files (x86) folder, Windows will "restore" the altered files to their original state. That is why you want to "move" the install to a different folder. Again, I'm sorry for clouding the issue. If you could have heard my sarcastic tone of voice when I was saying "Windows protects you from yourself". This is one of the problems with all thing internet... :03:

What most users do with their game, is to install to a different folder, and when the dialog comes up on where to install, some folks will just delete the "Program Files (x86)\" portion off and make it "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", or whatever they want to call it. What you end up with is an install that Windows no longer tries to "protect".

Similarly, since Steam is involved in protecting copyright licensing, they have to track where you have the game installed through their front-end, which is why, if you want to move a newer Steam version game, you have to use your online account and the install manager there. That way, you have Steam satisfied, Windows satisfied, and the user satisfied (other than having to remember all this extraneous garbage that we shouldn't have to bother with, but that's another story for some other time - sigh)...

All you want to do is have Steam install the game elsewhere, and then install your mods in this order:
  1. TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
    TMO_25_small_patch
    New Narwhal K v 1.8.5
    New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support
    Narwhal_Graphics support

if you're going to do TMO, else drop it from the list... I just went through the install several times, and that's the only way the Narwhal runs in TMO... There might still be issues with other aspects of the game with it, I cannot remember, but what I do remember is that being in the Narwhal, you will get every kind of SpecOp mission there is in the game... My first one always seems to be to recon Hiroshima Harbor... I have survived that particular mission maybe once in ten years of playing... :lol:

Thanks Propbeanie for explaining that. I felt like such a simpleton! I'll try to your advice and as for your warning...

...oh boy.

I think I confused you on what TMO I had. I actually just downloaded the "New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support" from the shop, and honestly thought THAT was a mod in itself until I finally looked at your list and saw what the "support" stood for. WOOPS. I apologize profusely for making you go through that. If I ever get TMO (which I might, who knows) I'll stay to your advice. Stupid me!

Thank you propbeanie, I'll try your fix, and I'll report back!:Kaleun_Salute:

BarracudaUAK 03-19-17 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2473740)
Log-in to your Steam online account and do like dodougla mentions. I don't remember if you have to uninstall and then reinstall, or if Steam lets you just move it, can't remember...

WIth steam running, select the "Steam" menu on the top-left (above "STORE", "LIBRARY" etc.).

Click Settings.
Select "Downloads" on the menu on the left.

At the top of the "tab" that is now open, you should see "Content Libraries"
Under this is a 'button' that says "Steam Library Folders". Click it.

A window will open, titled: "Steam Library Folders".
It will have a list of your steam folders, It should show the steam install directory by default...

On the bottom left, click "ADD LIBRARY FOLDER".
Another window will open up: "Create or select new Steam library folder".

Select a folder as you would any in any other Windows Program.

You should now be able to install to the new folder.

I haven't tried "moving" from one folder to another. I'll give it a try, and see if it is possible and post if possible/how I did it.

Barracuda

EDIT: Quick note, I just tried to make another library folder on the same "drive", and it told me that the drive already had a 'library folder', and it did NOT create the new one.

propbeanie 03-19-17 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakomis (Post 2473753)
Thanks Propbeanie for explaining that. I felt like such a simpleton! I'll try to your advice and as for your warning...

...oh boy.

I think I confused you on what TMO I had. I actually just downloaded the "New Narwhal TMO2.5_Support" from the shop, and honestly thought THAT was a mod in itself until I finally looked at your list and saw what the "support" stood for. WOOPS. I apologize profusely for making you go through that. If I ever get TMO (which I might, who knows) I'll stay to your advice. Stupid me!

Thank you propbeanie, I'll try your fix, and I'll report back!:Kaleun_Salute:

Oohh... BarracudaUAK to the rescue. I've got a couple of Steam games, but neither are SH4...

If you are going to play Stock SH4 v1.5, then all you'll want to add for now is:
  1. New Narwhal K v 1.8.5
  2. Narwhal_Graphics support

... and all the "Graphics" thingie is is a "perty-em-up" mod. It is nice, though. If and when you go to check-out TMO, then you'd do the first list...

Drakomis 03-19-17 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2473755)
Oohh... BarracudaUAK to the rescue. I've got a couple of Steam games, but neither are SH4...

If you are going to play Stock SH4 v1.5, then all you'll want to add for now is:
  1. New Narwhal K v 1.8.5
  2. Narwhal_Graphics support

... and all the "Graphics" thingie is is a "perty-em-up" mod. It is nice, though. If and when you go to check-out TMO, then you'd do the first list...

Thank you Barracuda!

Also, I got a separate drive. Mirror drive, but it's usable, so I'm using that to reinstall and I'll check in later.

BarracudaUAK 03-19-17 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakomis (Post 2473758)
Thank you Barracuda!

Also, I got a separate drive. Mirror drive, but it's usable, so I'm using that to reinstall and I'll check in later.

:up:

I tried putting it on the same "drive", simply to see if you could just move SH4 out of Program Files without needing to re-install.

On a previous PC I have put an additional 'Steam Library' on another drive. I didn't have any trouble with it.

Barracuda