SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Anyone Tried War Thunder? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201846)

mr chris 02-01-13 04:35 PM

Anyone Tried War Thunder?

Has anyone tried out War Thunder?
http://warthunder.com/en/

It has entered open Beta.
I have downloaded it and played through the tutorial and a few arcade games, not tried out a historical battle yet.
Was wondering if anyone here had heard of the game or played it at all, and what your opinions of the game are.

Cybermat47 02-01-13 04:54 PM

I haven't played it, but I've played Birds of Steel, which is made by the same people, and that was amazing.

Spyguy101 02-04-13 09:06 AM

It IS Birds of Steel. So it is spectacular

hawk2495 02-04-13 04:06 PM

I would love to play it, but for some reason my ISP won't let me download it from the launcher. Every time I try my connection gets cut after three minutes. I can download from anywhere else on earth, just not them. Now if I can download the torrent without issues, I'll need to talk to my ISP, since obviously they're morons.

Red October1984 02-04-13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2002832)
I haven't played it, but I've played Birds of Steel, which is made by the same people, and that was amazing.

Did they make a console version of Birds Of Steel?

Oberon 02-10-13 09:35 PM

Just picked up on War Thunder, it's not that bad, not really played much yet, sadly the Full Real servers look pretty empty at the moment, hopefully that'll pick up with popularity, but even so it's a damn pretty looking thing.
I think the 'World Of' series has got very serious competition, and the thing that sets War Thunder apart from World Of Airplanes is that it has a full cockpit for those who want to use it, whereas WoA doesn't, or at least it didn't when I last played it.

Furthermore, the next release looks to be the tanks, and...well...to say that there will be quite a selection is an understatement.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...er#Post3719083

Now, if they can put in 'cockpits' for the tanks as well, and also eventually the ships/submarines...then I think that they will be on to a winner.

It's never going to be a fully fledged simulator, but neither is World of Airplanes or World of Tanks. Don't go into it expecting DCS and you might have some fun.

Oh, and unlike WoA, it also features the RAF and IJA/N. Which means it has the Typhoon and Tempest, as well as Task Forces favourite aircraft.

Red October1984 02-10-13 11:18 PM

This game looks to be pretty good. The sad part is my internet.

:/\\!! I wish I could play online...

Heck, I wish my download speed was higher than 50 kbps....

Mine now is like 11-15 kbps... :nope:

SgtPotato 02-11-13 01:05 PM

You'll be surprised when you will find out there's the magical lag-free trickery in War Thunder while playing.

Cybermat47 02-11-13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 2004247)
Did they make a console version of Birds Of Steel?

Yeah, that's the one I'm always banging on about.

Red October1984 02-11-13 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2008083)
Yeah, that's the one I'm always banging on about.

Does it play more like IL-2 1946 or more like HAWX and IL-2 Birds Of Prey?

Cybermat47 02-11-13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 2008126)
Does it play more like IL-2 1946 or more like HAWX and IL-2 Birds Of Prey?

More like BoP. It has the exact same engine, graphics and HUD.

Red October1984 02-11-13 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2008137)
More like BoP. It has the exact same engine, graphics and HUD.

I have the BoP demo on my xbox. It's okay....I might pick up these games when they get real cheap.

Kptlt. Neuerburg 02-13-13 11:29 AM

Well I'll probably be downloading War Thunder soon. Just going off the screenshots alone, the time span goes from the Spanish Civil War up to the Korean War, graphics are between Cliffs of Dover and Rise of Flight, damage modeling is on par with or above that of Rise of Flight and the sheer number of different aircraft is simply amazing!
There are some things that I'm still wondering about, for example I saw screens of the PBY Catalina. But I was left with the question "Did they make it amphibious like it should be?" But I'll have that answered soon enough.

Herr-Berbunch 02-19-13 11:45 AM

Just signed up, and downloaded the installer. Feel free to find and add me on their forum under 'HerrBerbunch'. :salute:

Red October1984 02-19-13 06:39 PM

This game looks awesome...

:wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:

Damn all the cool games that are now being FTP online-only...

Mechwarrior Online.....Silent Hunter Online....and now War Thunder...I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting about...