SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   I dont have a steam account (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233179)

tatts410 08-29-17 05:59 AM

I dont have a steam account

Hi Guys
I do not use steam and do not have an account. Is there a way for me to download the Cold Waters updates without using Steam? Thanks from a Newbie

Delanski 08-29-17 06:19 AM

Probably not, you're going have to bite the bullet.

Edit: Wait I just completely misread your post, 'download the Cold Waters updates without using Steam'?

You didn't pirate Cold Waters did you?

GeneralGamer 08-29-17 06:55 AM

Shoot an email to Killerfish Games. I'm sure they will take interest in your request.:har:

Jimbuna 08-29-17 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatts410 (Post 2509348)
Hi Guys
I do not use steam and do not have an account. Is there a way for me to download the Cold Waters updates without using Steam? Thanks from a Newbie

You are new to the community so ensure you read one of the forum rules I have set out below...

Quote:

SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy.
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account and permanent ban. We do not care what you do on your computer in your home, but do not discuss it here.Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.
Cold waters is currently only available via Steam so I suggest you get yourself a Steam account.

tatts410 08-30-17 12:30 AM

thanks guys

Thanks guys, A friend gave me a copy and told me he had found the game was free. I have already delete his version and joined up with steam. Thanjk for letting me know.

LeopardDriver 08-30-17 12:49 AM

Check your friends that don`t tell you the truth. They might not be sincerer in other situations, too.

The Bandit 08-30-17 04:09 AM

Well you're going to be out $40 or so, but that's the price of admission. The other thing that you need to look at though, besides paying for a game, you're making an investment. KFG is not a big company but so far they have been absolutely top notch as far as support/bug-fixes and the like. This is stuff that other, much much bigger companies have bungled when they soon decided that games like this aren't as profitable as yearly titles they can push out the door. Also while not all features are available, the game is quite easy to mod and the development of a community around the game has very much been fostered by those at KFG.

Cold Waters started with a very sound idea but we really need to credit the devs with how successful its been, they could have easily gotten this one wrong and walked away. People legitimately purchasing the game (and maybe whatever DLC comes down the pipeline) will do much to keep them churning out content.

Red Devil 08-30-17 07:09 AM

I once swore I would never use online games or providers. But, I went to steam to get a game, now have 19 games on steam and all work 99.9% of the time. You can also download mods for some games which go in automatically at Steam end. Steam is also cheaper in many cases and you have the satisfaction of not having a disc to scratch etc.

Swordsman422 08-30-17 09:40 AM

It's always a good idea to get legit.

Early on, I was against services like Steam, preferring actual discs so that if a service ever went tango-uniform, I'd not be out my ability to install and play a game. Now, only 2 of the games I have installed have physical copies, and one of them now has a Steam release.

What Steam has NOT been good for is my wallet. New game comes out, and I can't use the postage time as an excuse not to buy it.

Red Devil 08-30-17 12:30 PM

regarding cold waters, I'll wait till its on a sale.:arrgh!:

Red Devil 08-30-17 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordsman422 (Post 2509581)
It's always a good idea to get legit

When I first got a pc, mid 90s, it was 'can you do my a copy of x,y and z'. Now? I wouldn't touch a pirate copy at all. Its both not worth it and could contain naughty bits!! :doh:

stratege1401 08-30-17 04:55 PM

KFG ... Kentucky Fried Gators ??? :Kaleun_Cheers:

The Bandit 08-30-17 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratege1401 (Post 2509663)
KFG ... Kentucky Fried Gators ??? :Kaleun_Cheers:

KFG = Killerfish Games

aka the guys who developed Cold Waters

Sean C 08-30-17 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordsman422 (Post 2509581)
Early on, I was against services like Steam, preferring actual discs so that if a service ever went tango-uniform, I'd not be out my ability to install and play a game.

Just FYI: once you've installed Cold Waters from Steam, you don't need to have Steam running to play it. Simply click the .exe directly in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters" or make a shortcut to it in your Start menu or elsewhere.

I figured this out after I discovered that I couldn't play it while my wife was playing ESO on my account. (Well, not without shutting down her game in the process...and I'm not that stupid. ;) )

You will, however, need to open Steam if you want to update to the latest beta whenever a new one is released.

Udet65 08-31-17 05:40 AM

" once you've installed Cold Waters from Steam, you don't need to have Steam running to play it. Simply click the .exe directly in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters" or make a shortcut to it in your Start menu or elsewhere"

for sure? I think the Steam client is then started in the background.