SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [TEC] Cyrillic Drawer/Filenames and JSGME (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=256844)

Hebe Vollmaus 03-24-24 08:58 AM

Cyrillic Drawer/Filenames and JSGME

For you guys using cyrillic letters in Filenames AND using JSGME on Not Cyrillic-Operating-Systems:

Code:

o Create a Drawer in JSGME-"MODS"-folder called "Cyril-Test" or so.
o Below (in this drawer) create the complete structure:
  "data\Roster\German\Sea\CABlБcher.cfg"
  maybe put the word "Dummi" into this file
  and
  "data\Sea\NCA_BlБcher\NCA_BlБcher.dat"
  maybe put the word "Dummi" into this file.
  (Also here the content is irrelevant, it will only show JSGME-Filehandling.)
o Activate this "Mod" in JSGME.
o Deactivate this Mod in JSGME.

Now try to find these files in your SH3-install.
The files should have been removed. But are not.

On my Win7-System they are already there! Even JSGME has been shown they are removed.
Even either "requireAdministrator" or "asInvoker" is used as Token in JSGME.
Thats why i avoid Multi-byte-Letters in Drawer/Filenames.

There is a Replacement to JSGME, but it looks to me Nobody is using it. Including myself.

Greetings.

propbeanie 03-24-24 06:18 PM

Similar happens with special characters, such as the umlaut and diacritic in an ANSI or UTF-8 encoded text file, doesn't it? UTF-16 uses 2 bytes for all characters, and is undesirable on all accounts. I have found one article where it mentions that UTF-8 without BOM does use 2 bytes for some of the special characters, and if that is true, then it is also not acceptable. Are we therefore bound to eliminate all special characters? or am I missing something in this Hebe?? :hmmm: - Also, what is your JSGME replacement suggestion? OMM?? Thank you! :salute:

Hebe Vollmaus 03-25-24 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2907033)
Similar happens with special characters, such as the umlaut and diacritic in an ANSI or UTF-8 encoded text file, doesn't it? UTF-16 uses 2 bytes for all characters, and is undesirable on all accounts. I have found one article where it mentions that UTF-8 without BOM does use 2 bytes for some of the special characters, and if that is true, then it is also not acceptable. Are we therefore bound to eliminate all special characters? or am I missing something in this Hebe?? :hmmm: - Also, what is your JSGME replacement suggestion? OMM?? Thank you! :salute:

Accurat. Or better, the same view as i have. I cannot remember a time where those things was not a problem.
Go open the Operating-Systems "Zeichentabelle" maybe in english "Character table"?
Change between "Windows: Westlich" and "Windows: Kyrillisch".
There one can see that there are a lot of letters different. The problem pops up first when a file created on one Computer have found a way to another Computer.
Or in this case here into an old Program.

The BOM itself has no impact on the content. I think it is the same nonsens when Windows[TM] tells you the file may be broken, when you change its extension.
If files has to be leave a computer it is best to use the lowest common denominator. (Den kleinsten gemeinsamen Nenner.)

Have you ever transfer files from your old Computer to a New one?
Even from"Windows: West" to "Windows: West" i had in the past problems with Umlauts. Also on the same Mashine the System shows different letters in the Console than in the File-Manager. And so on and on.

I hate discussing Windows-problems here, as it has nothing to do with SH3. But as we all use JSGME it must be.
The Replacement to JSGME was also made past several years. If i had remember its name, i had written it down. :03:
I have to search it again.

propbeanie 03-25-24 03:00 PM

Was it OvGME, or perhaps OMM (Open Mod Magager)??

Hebe Vollmaus 03-27-24 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2907096)
Was it OvGME, or perhaps OMM (Open Mod Magager)??

Sorry, i have not found any reference in my database. :hmmm: