SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Framerate issue (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=237537)

Delfi 05-16-18 02:52 AM

Framerate issue

I have a curious problem and I don't know what to do about it. I have a slight, but noticeable framerate drop anytime the ocean surface is in view. If pan down so that no part of the ocean surface is in view the problem goes away. Is there a fix for this?

Sean C 05-16-18 03:24 AM

Maybe try lowering the quality of the ocean surface in the video settings. I have the same problem on my laptop and I suspect it's because it's not meant for gaming. A better video card and/or more ram would probably help. You could also try messing around with some of the other graphics settings.

Delfi 05-16-18 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. (Post 2553175)
Maybe try lowering the quality of the ocean surface in the video settings. I have the same problem on my laptop and I suspect it's because it's not meant for gaming. A better video card and/or more ram would probably help. You could also try messing around with some of the other graphics settings.

I have tried lowering ocean quality. Doesn't work. I have a 2GB video card and 24GB RAM. DCS runs fine. ArmA III runs fine. Just not this game that used to run fine on my old machine. It runs fine as long as the ocean surface is not in view. If it was a graphics card issue that would not be the case.

ChrisTayeb 05-16-18 05:35 AM

Me it occurs when I use the compress time F9, but sporadically, i got plenty of ram and a decent video card so it might be an encoding thing.
Or maybe, the mod affects the main game on some parts, do u use a mod?

Delfi 05-16-18 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisTayeb (Post 2553192)
Me it occurs when I use the compress time F9, but sporadically, i got plenty of ram and a decent video card so it might be an encoding thing.
Or maybe, the mod affects the main game on some parts, do u use a mod?

The only mod I use is the All Playable Subs mod. That should not cause a framerate issue.

I'm thinking it's a lack of optimization issue. It may also be something related to draw distance which I can't change because we only get one graphics "slider."

Julhelm 05-16-18 06:04 AM

The ocean runs on the CPU because we need to query it for the wave heights.

Delfi 05-16-18 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2553197)

Is there any way then that I can fix this? I am playing on a six-core system.

ChrisTayeb 05-16-18 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfi (Post 2553195)
The only mod I use is the All Playable Subs mod. That should not cause a framerate issue.

I'm thinking it's a lack of optimization issue. It may also be something related to draw distance which I can't change because we only get one graphics "slider."

do u use a gog installed game or the original?

Delfi 05-16-18 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2553197)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisTayeb (Post 2553205)
do u use a gog installed game or the original?

The original Steam version.

ChrisTayeb 05-16-18 08:07 PM

Hmm well I'm sorry I can't help more, mine is a gog, things came even once I had both game and gog updated
I do have a framerate issue when I play on my laptop while on travel because let's be honest it isn't meant to play on but I'm running it fine on my pc though

Best try to contact killerfish devs then

Delfi 05-17-18 12:21 AM

Don't tell me the solution is to buy another copy from GoG.

FPSchazly 05-17-18 08:39 AM

What do you mean "original" Steam version? You have it on Steam and it updates and such?

What are your full specs?

Julhelm 05-17-18 11:38 AM

It's obviously related to your particular setup, especially since the game ran fine on your previous system. Try enabling vsync, if that doesn't help, could be a driver issue.

ChrisTayeb 05-22-18 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfi (Post 2553290)
Don't tell me the solution is to buy another copy from GoG.

I haven't, I said try contacting the devs to explain your framerate issue, they make the game least they can do is help out those who use if they meet an issue.
Because here we keep on assuming that we know what's the cause and how to solve, yet we speak and your problem remains...
Just a suggestion buddy ;)

XenonSurf 05-24-18 05:40 AM

Previously I had installed the game on my laptop, i5 2.8 GHz but it turned out to be NOT powerful enough even with a dedicated GPU card.

To check if your system is powerful enough to run the game, you simply launch the game and go in the Credits section. If the demo grafics run jerky you know you are going to have serious FPS problems in the game. Only thing you could do if not changing to a more powerful system is to tweak down the grafic options to minimal, but the game will stop to look nice...
I moved the game on a more powerful i7 desktop with a processor up to 4 GHz, since then I don't have to watch my FPS...