SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Air conditioning can mean the difference between life and death (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233404)

Onkel Neal 09-14-17 10:52 PM

Air conditioning can mean the difference between life and death

But ultimately, it will probably be the death of us all. The world is locked into a spiral of more people relying on A/C which drives up the global temperature.... Oh well, not really anything can be done about it. :wah:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/1...-cept-symphony

Quote:

...the weather, already hot, has been getting hotter. In the summer of 2015, it hit 114 degrees Fahrenheit in nearby Ahmedabad, where Vora works as a correspondent for The Hindu. The next summer, it passed 122 degrees, a record. It’s not uncommon for people to wrap their faces in wet cloth when venturing onto the furnace-like streets, and the wind is so hot it feels heavy. “For about a decade, the temperature has been going up,” Vora said. “But now, the last couple summers have been extreme, going beyond normal, bearable conditions.”

Catfish 09-15-17 03:23 AM

I guess we can say that there is indeed is some global warming happening, this is not "fake news" like some want to believe.

I read somewhere that an additional temperature rise of only 0,5 degrees Celsius of the mexican gulf surface waters, will make hurricanes twice as violent.
Global warming is also 'supported' by the sun which has been very active in the last decades, however we sure do not help the situation with blowing CO2 and other gas into the atmosphere, let alone setting free the energy being stored away for millions of years, with burning the fossil fuel batteries as if there was no tomorrow.
if the temperature rises enough to thaw those methane hydrates in the mexican gulf and Siberia there will be no stop possible, it is a self-energizing effect.

"Not anything that can be done about it" ?
Not directly right now in India in forbidding them their AC, no.
But put our heads in the sand and deny it all?
One should think that supporting research on alternative energy sources that have not as much environmantal impact, would be not the badest of ideas. But some obviousy have no idea, and they are sitting at the helm.

The thing is that slow research does not yield instant presentable results some president wants to be immediately be praised for; such policies need decades to develop and take effect, and it will be too late.

I am for a strictly logical scientific leadership with the right to burn dumbs and deniers publicly, on the spot :haha::arrgh!:

Not really, but why do we allow certain.. people to set the ways for the future, and our downfall :nope:

Skybird 09-15-17 04:27 AM

We are too many. And so even more people will push into geographic areas known for natural disaster, were the forefathers were wise enough to stay out. This way, overpopulation adds tremendously to the death toll to be paid. Global warming is happening, to what amount man contributes or even triggers it, can be debated, but the effects cannot be denied. And one thing is certain: the more people live on this planet, the less able manking in gneral will be to adapt. And so, the natural corrective of "death" will see for the adaptation process. Nature is not sentimental.

This is not only true for the poor masses in the third world. During recent hurricanes we have seen many villas washed away because they had been built right down to the waterline of the ocean beaches on Caribean islands, and the Gulf coast, during the booms of the past 20 years.

You can be richer than a third world guy, and nevertheless be as stupid.

Jimbuna 09-15-17 04:39 AM

I recognise and accept the eventual consequences but putting that aside, I never use the a/c in the car, we simply don't need it here up in the frozen north.

So I'm doing my bit, no matter how miniscule the effect.

Catfish 09-15-17 04:47 AM

Yes, we are too many.
Some german politicians and right wingers complain that "we" would be dying out, which of course is nonsense.
(Because there has never been a people that has not had immigrants, as well emigrating to other countries themselves. Which is why the concept of nations itself is wrong and has always been, but this is for another thread)

It is true that the population numbers have been decreasing here, and regarding overpopulation, employment, wealth and so forth i don't think that is a bad thing.
This is not happening everywhere, when you look at China or e.g. Africa.

I guess Mrs Gandhi's efforts were nothing to be proud of..

Obltn Strand 09-15-17 05:42 AM

What makes a/c run in the climate frendly way? Nuclear power. No carbondioxide emissions and 4th generations reactors can use crap that old ones produced. In mean time we can develop fusion reactor or other sci-fi stuff.

Problem are those envromentalist idiots who oppose nucler power beacuse of fear of it.

Onkel Neal 09-15-17 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2512632)

I am for a strictly logical scientific leadership with the right to burn dumbs and deniers publicly, on the spot :haha::arrgh!:

Oh sure, more global warming then from burning dumbs and deniers, eh?:03:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2512645)
I recognise and accept the eventual consequences but putting that aside, I never use the a/c in the car, we simply don't need it here up in the frozen north.

So I'm doing my bit, no matter how miniscule the effect.

Hey, you're part of the country could see an improvement from this, then. Balmy old England it will be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird
We are too many

Yes, this is it in every way.

Skybird 09-15-17 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2512651)
Yes, we are too many.
Some german politicians and right wingers complain that "we" would be dying out, which of course is nonsense.
(Because there has never been a people that has not had immigrants, as well emigrating to other countries themselves. Which is why the concept of nations itself is wrong and has always been, but this is for another thread)

It is true that the population numbers have been decreasing here, and regarding overpopulation, employment, wealth and so forth i don't think that is a bad thing.
This is not happening everywhere, when you look at China or e.g. Africa.

I guess Mrs Gandhi's efforts were nothing to be proud of..

Lets not comparing apples with appletrees. The global population is no coherent mass of all-the-same people, there are more sub-populations with different cultural rules, different skills, and different adaptation to different habitats and other challenges. Its not all the same, and people are not all the same, and no - we are even not all "equal". "Gleich zu gleich gesellt sich gern", we say in german, and not for no reason - it is a genetically deep-rooting fact. There is a biological function behind it, thats why it became genetically encoded. Migration thus is not just like any other migration. There are differently skilled migrants - skilled in the meaning both of professions, and cultural pre-eductations. Origin thus gives a general hint at what to expect, migration from some places is less conflict-ridden for the host, than migration from certain other places. You cannot compare everybody with everybody else and say we are all the same and discrmination (= seeing the differences) makes nos ense. It makes an whole lot of sense, and many conflicts even rather start with denying and ignoring these factual differences. Germans just are hysterically avoiding anything that in their imagination could remind of the kind of selection done with of new arrivals to the KZs, when the victims were brought in via cattle trains.

STEED 09-15-17 04:28 PM

Planet is finished, AC all the way and maybe some DC. :)

vienna 09-15-17 05:51 PM

What an electrifying idea!!...

<O>

STEED 09-15-17 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2512825)
What an electrifying idea!!...

<O>

ME?......:hmmm:

Méo 09-15-17 11:06 PM

Might be provocative for some here, but it's not the intent.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...01&oe=5A50A844

Rockin Robbins 09-16-17 07:10 PM

Before 1900 Florida was the world's greatest producer of pineapples. However the climate grew too cold to grow pineapples and today Florida produces almost none of them. Royal Palm trees grew all the way north of Jacksonville, however in the past 50 years cooling temperatures have restricted their range to south of Cocoa Beach, about halfway down the peninsula. Oranges? Same story. I live in an orange grove that can't produce oranges in the cooler climate.

Hurricanes between 1900 and 1920 were more severe than they are today, with one hurricane in, I think, 1926 actually removing a train from railroad tracks in south Florida. Nothing close to that has happened since, excepting maybe Andrew in 1992. Speaking of that, hurricanes have not approached the intensity of Andrew in the past 25 years.

It's a fact that temperature monitoring locations used to be out in the country, but now are nestled in the concrete jungle heat sinks of metropolitan areas, feeding us bogus information. And its a fact that politics has poisoned science to the extent that we can trust it no more. Those who are politically damned get no research money, those making preposterous cataclysmic theories attract the money, which comes from politically charged organizations. Even in astronomy, Harlton Arp was denied observing time at American observatories and had to leave for Europe to continue his research into peculiar galaxies and the physical connections between quasars and galaxies, which were theorized to be billions of light years apart. Henrietta Leavitt was denied credit for her work establishing the period luminosity relationship of Cepheid variable stars and the use of them to establish the distance to the Andromeda Galaxy for political and sexist reasons. Just following the money tells you what the results of their "scientific" findings will be. Science is bought and paid for by politics.

Now we'll get the political organizations to follow the science they paid for and commit billions of dollars to follow pathways of foolishness, electric cars that burn three gallons of fuel at the electric power plant to get the equivalent of one gallon of energy to the car, encouraging people to save electricity so they can pay twice as much for 750KwH as they used to for 3000KwH. Conserve so we can charge you more and it's pure profit!

We are being played for fools and we have indeed fulfilled their hopes that we would be foolish. The more we kowtow to the gods of conservation the more we will be punished for doing so.

Buddahaid 09-16-17 11:36 PM

Aren't you the one bemoaning the lack of progressive development of Florida's power infrastructure?

Méo 09-17-17 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2513096)
Before 1900 Florida was the world's greatest producer of pineapples. However the climate grew too cold to grow pineapples and today Florida produces almost none of them. Royal Palm trees grew all the way north of Jacksonville, however in the past 50 years cooling temperatures have restricted their range to south of Cocoa Beach, about halfway down the peninsula. Oranges? Same story. I live in an orange grove that can't produce oranges in the cooler climate.

That's why it's called ''Global warming'', not ''Florida warming''.

----

Florida: 170 304 km2

Earth: 510 072 000 km2

About 0,033% of total earth surface...