SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   A few problems I'm having with SH3 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181706)

desirableroasted 03-26-11 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Zog (Post 1627426)
What you encountered sounds like a 'light ship',... GWX incorperates them just for added extra eye candy/immersion purposes...which is probably why you didn't receive any record of the sinking. Although it could have been a bug...

I didn't know you could even sink a lightship.

Because they are "environment" (like a dock or tree or those happy nurses on the wharf), your watch officer will never see it. So they are always accompanied by an anchored tug or trawler that your watch officer can see.

I suspect there's some additional coding in there, since my 1WO can always spot a lightship trawler at 10-12K, while sometimes missing ASW trawlers 500 m behind us.

Gargamel 03-26-11 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desirableroasted (Post 1628127)
I didn't know you could even sink a lightship.

Because they are "environment" (like a dock or tree or those happy nurses on the wharf), your watch officer will never see it. So they are always accompanied by an anchored tug or trawler that your watch officer can see.

I suspect there's some additional coding in there, since my 1WO can always spot a lightship trawler at 10-12K, while sometimes missing ASW trawlers 500 m behind us.

Wonder if all he (player) saw was the lightship, but sank the tug? Due to the way they lined up, they could look like the same ship.

But then he would have gotten credit...... maybe he did sink the lightship...

Yessir....... you sank some scenery.

Howard313 03-26-11 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 1628139)
Wonder if all he (player) saw was the lightship, but sank the tug? Due to the way they lined up, they could look like the same ship.

But then he would have gotten credit...... maybe he did sink the lightship...

Yessir....... you sank some scenery.

there was a trawler in the area too, but it was a german ship, so i.......shot it anyway:nope:

97 tons! :DL

frau kaleun 03-26-11 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard313 (Post 1628355)
there was a trawler in the area too, but it was a german ship, so i.......shot it anyway:nope:

Bad Kaleun! BdU spank!

Howard313 03-29-11 02:31 PM

Didn't want to open a whole new thread for this so i'll just re-use this one.
Simple question.

The Instruction manual, and game itself has hinted several times that I can select more than one torpedo tube at the same time. If so, how do i do this? I'm the type of man who likes to fire 2-3 torpedoes at a ship, and it's just so tiring to select the tubes individually, I mean I gotta move the mouse around and click all over the screen, works my arm muscles to death. (stubbed my finger once too.:cry:)

:salute: Thanks in advanced!

Sailor Steve 03-29-11 02:57 PM

Go to the Attack Map (F6) screen and you'll see a switch marked 'Salvo'. This switch will let you select 2, 3 or 4 tubes which will fire all at once. It's not quite historically accurate as in real life there was still several seconds delay between tubes firing, but that aside it will let you fire several fish with one button, as they really did.

frau kaleun 03-29-11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard313 (Post 1630709)
Didn't want to open a whole new thread for this so i'll just re-use this one.
Simple question.

The Instruction manual, and game itself has hinted several times that I can select more than one torpedo tube at the same time. If so, how do i do this? I'm the type of man who likes to fire 2-3 torpedoes at a ship, and it's just so tiring to select the tubes individually, I mean I gotta move the mouse around and click all over the screen, works my arm muscles to death. (stubbed my finger once too.:cry:)

:salute: Thanks in advanced!

Go into the TDC screen and there's a dial there that you can set to "salvo" or whatever it says that lets you set up a salvo instead of a single shot.

Once you set it to fire a salvo instead of one eel only, you can use the dial next to it to select which tubes to fire the salvo from.

I don't know if it's also possible to select more than one tube at a time with some keyboard trick or other, I just use the TDC switches to set up a salvo if I'm gonna do that.

Howard313 03-29-11 03:11 PM

Thank you both, that ought to make things easier on my next playthrough.

:yeah:

frau kaleun 03-29-11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard313 (Post 1630740)
Thank you both, that ought to make things easier on my next playthrough.

:yeah:

If you are firing a salvo make sure you double-check the spread-angle dial! It makes a difference. I don't know what the default setting is but the first time I fired a salvo I didn't check it and everything passed either in front of or behind my target. :damn:

I usually move it down to 1 now if I'm firing at only one ship.