SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Starting Over...Again (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217586)

Sailor Steve 12-30-14 04:15 PM

Starting Over...Again

Any of you who have been following General Topics know by now that after years of complaining about my very old computer, I received a new one for Christmas. :D It should run SH3 with all the bells and whistles, including IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod. The first step is to install SH3, which I have just finished doing.

More to come. :sunny:

Sailor Steve 12-30-14 06:12 PM

Step 2 was to re-install Multi-SH3 so I can keep a stock version isolated while I load GWX. I'll also be trying the other big mods, since for the first time I have a computer which should run them all.

sublynx 12-31-14 12:42 AM

What a Christmas present :woot:

Have fun :ping:

TorpX 12-31-14 12:56 AM

Good luck! :salute:

Kommandant_Wesser 12-31-14 03:32 AM

yea i had the same, i had a old computer that runned sh3 and 4 and 5 but it wasnt really good at running for ex. arma 3 and this christmas i got a gaming computer and i had to reinstall all my silent hunter stuff (because of DEF fourm group)

Doolar 12-31-14 08:15 AM

and don't forget to ... be more AGGRESSIVE ... glad to see your back at sea .

Sailor Steve 12-31-14 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG (Post 2273290)
Try S3F - which is still beta, but already eases your life and replaces many tools used before

I will, thanks. :sunny:

captcrane 12-31-14 12:16 PM

Congrats on your Christmas Gift. Good way to start new year!

Sailor Steve 12-31-14 11:30 PM

SH3 Commander is installed and programmed with my Loading Screens Mod. I was going to try for more tonight but I'm falling asleep in the middle of trying to work, so I guess it's bedtime.

HW3 01-01-15 12:39 AM

Love the loading screens mod Steve.:up:

Laufen zum Ziel 01-01-15 02:13 PM

Best of luck with getting everything set up.

Sailor Steve 01-01-15 07:47 PM

I'm now at the point where I think I'm ready to install h.sie's Hardcode Fix mod, but I'm having some confusion. I'm asking the questions in that thread, as is appropriate.

Sailor Steve 01-01-15 11:05 PM

Well, that one's installed, and it works properly. Now for the fun part - re-installing my mods list and trying out new ones. :sunny:

BigWalleye 01-02-15 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2274133)
Well, that one's installed, and it works properly. Now for the fun part - re-installing my mods list and trying out new ones. :sunny:

Steve, glad to read that you are about ready to get back to the boats. Since you haven't played SH3 in several years, I think you're going to enjoy the changes that have become available.

You need to install all other mods before you edit the menu.txt and Campaign_SCR.mis files for h.sie's patcher. Make sure that the file you edit is the file that will be copied in last by JSGME. Otherwise, you may lose functionality in that last mod. This is more important for Campaign_SCR.mis, and very important if you are also using Stiebler's patches, because Stiebler wants you to edit menu_1024_768.ini and having that file out of sync can could you grief.

IMO, the best procedure for setting up h.sie's and Stiebler's supplements is to use JSGME to activate all the mods you plan to use, then set up the h.sie and Stiebler supplemental folders, then activate those two with JSGME. If you are going to experiment with various mods, you might want to do that first, before setting up the two supplemental folders.

Good luck and good hunting!

Sailor Steve 01-02-15 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWalleye (Post 2274209)
IMO, the best procedure for setting up h.sie's and Stiebler's supplements is to use JSGME to activate all the mods you plan to use, then set up the h.sie and Stiebler supplemental folders, then activate those two with JSGME. If you are going to experiment with various mods, you might want to do that first, before setting up the two supplemental folders.

Thanks for that tip. I already have the h.sie supplement installed, but it's easy enough to disable it again. I haven't explored Stiebler's mod yet. I do have some experience with the menu_1024_768.ini file, so I know what to expect there.