SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   How to know what time it is? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218128)

jscharpf 01-31-15 11:38 AM

How to know what time it is?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but is there any way on board my sub to indicate what time of day (local) it is? I see "base time" and I realize I'm several time zones off as I go west, but is there a way to set local or GMT time time in SH4?

Alternatively, I suppose I could find a chart online that shows time zones.. I was hoping for a clock in the game.

HertogJan 01-31-15 11:43 AM

No there isn't... base time is what you're stuck with

Sailor Steve 01-31-15 01:21 PM

SH3 had a Local Time function. They "fixed" it for SH4. Praise to you, jscharpf, for figuring it out. Most players (and there are a lot) just come in with "Why is the sun going down at 1300 hours?"

BigWalleye 01-31-15 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2283314)
SH3 had a Local Time function. They "fixed" it for SH4. Praise to you, jscharpf, for figuring it out. Most players (and there are a lot) just come in with "Why is the sun going down at 1300 hours?"

The US Naval Observatory website will provide charts of sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, and beginning and end of nautical twilight for any lat/lon you specify, for each day of any calendar year you specify. And the times will be adjusted to whatever time zone you specify. So, for example, you can get a chart of sunrise/sunset times for Bungo Suido for 1943 with times shown in Honolulu Time. Copy/paste the chart to a text editor and print it out.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

I find these charts very useful.

merc4ulfate 01-31-15 04:19 PM

Just do the math ... it isn't that hard.

I never pay attention to what time it is.

Crannogman 01-31-15 04:56 PM

I am curious what time zone is used for the times in the mission editor; GMT?

jscharpf 01-31-15 06:42 PM

Thanks everyone, yes I understand that I can just do the math. I used to have a printed map of the world with all of the time zones relevant to Zulu. I think it was for FSX lol..
Anyway I was just hoping the game had a way to "set" the clock. :)

No big deal.

TorpX 02-01-15 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crannogman (Post 2283369)

I was wondering about this too. If AI subs were to be scripted into a campaign, it would make sense to do it according to local day/night times.

Sailor Steve 02-01-15 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crannogman (Post 2283369)

I haven't played SH4 in awhile, but I'm pretty sure it's Base time, i.e. your home port.

Crannogman 02-01-15 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2283526)
I haven't played SH4 in awhile, but I'm pretty sure it's Base time, i.e. your home port.

But there's no base on the campaign layer

razark 02-01-15 11:09 AM

Does anyone know what was used by the boats during the war?

Did they all use one standard (Pearl? GMT?) Did they set their clocks to the base they started from? I imagine that changing time zones would make using "local" time problematic for coordination with other units, not to mention log-keeping.

merc4ulfate 02-01-15 03:44 PM

UTC?

TorpX 02-02-15 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2283526)

If you say script a mission with a enemy battleship transiting between two islands at noon Dec. 24 1941, and put it into the campaign, it could be valid for any sub, from any base, no?

Or, are you saying scripted times would change according to your base?

Sailor Steve 02-02-15 01:01 PM

I think I was saying what I remember from playing the game years ago. I have no clue how it actually works, just what I thought I remembered.

Here's one for you: In SH3 the time of day you started your patrol was randomized. In SH4 it's always exactly the same time - I think 1100 hours. Why is that?

Crannogman 02-02-15 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2283853)
I think I was saying what I remember from playing the game years ago. I have no clue how it actually works, just what I thought I remembered.

Here's one for you: In SH3 the time of day you started your patrol was randomized. In SH4 it's always exactly the same time - I think 1100 hours. Why is that?

I started my last patrol at midnight...