SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] RFB/Real Fleet Boat for 1.5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125529)

swdw 01-22-08 10:24 AM

Deck gun strength

Ok guys, this is interesting. I got my copy of The Naval Institue / Theodore Roscoe's US Submarine Operations in WW2. In it they talk about, and have a couple of pictures of . . .

Sub chasers sinking where the boat surfaced and took it out with a DECK GUN! The book talks about skippers using the deck gun later in the war to sink sub chasers AND mine sweepers to save their torpedoes for the few targets left.

Will do more research into this, but methinks we may need to upgrade the shell strength a bit in RFB.

AVGWarhawk 01-22-08 11:09 AM

Quote:

upgrade the shell strength a bit in RFB.
:yep:

CDR Resser 01-26-08 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

What he said.:up:

AVGWarhawk 01-26-08 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDR Resser
Quote:

Quote:

Just a bit!!!

beartooth91 01-27-08 12:30 PM

RFB for ROW and ROW Sub Reflections

Ok...
I'm sure this has been addressed in some thread here before, but, I can't seem to figure out how to do a search for mulitple words on this site.
My question is the ROW and RFB for ROW install order. Its been suggested elseware that ROW is installed first, then RFB. However, RFB overwrites the ROW Sub Reflections and Pitch Roll mod. And I've been doing it that way, but, notice there's a lot of pitch and roll out there ! Is this the correct install order ?
By the way, I tried searching for "RFB sub reflections", but got no results (and that's normally the case when I search here on SubSim). How do you search for multiple words on this site ? Does it accept the normal boolean search terms (ie RFB +sub +reflections).

Thanks
beartooth91

Sailor Steve 01-27-08 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swdw
Ok guys, this is interesting. I got my copy of The Naval Institue / Theodore Roscoe's US Submarine Operations in WW2. In it they talk about, and have a couple of pictures of . . .

Sub chasers sinking where the boat surfaced and took it out with a DECK GUN! The book talks about skippers using the deck gun later in the war to sink sub chasers AND mine sweepers to save their torpedoes for the few targets left.

Will do more research into this, but methinks we may need to upgrade the shell strength a bit in RFB.

Does it say anywhere how many shells it took to sink a given sub-chaser? Five? Twenty? Thirty? Does it say which class of sub-chaser? Displacement?

"I read in a book that they sank one with the deck gun. It's more realistic to have them blow sky-high with every single hit!"

Beery did a huge amount of research when designing that mod, and he's gotten nothing but flak ever since. Go ahead and change whatever you like; but make sure you have ALL your facts straight, and aren't just another gamer looking for an edge.

AVGWarhawk 01-27-08 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beartooth91
Ok...
I'm sure this has been addressed in some thread here before, but, I can't seem to figure out how to do a search for mulitple words on this site.
My question is the ROW and RFB for ROW install order. Its been suggested elseware that ROW is installed first, then RFB. However, RFB overwrites the ROW Sub Reflections and Pitch Roll mod. And I've been doing it that way, but, notice there's a lot of pitch and roll out there ! Is this the correct install order ?
By the way, I tried searching for "RFB sub reflections", but got no results (and that's normally the case when I search here on SubSim). How do you search for multiple words on this site ? Does it accept the normal boolean search terms (ie RFB +sub +reflections).

Thanks
beartooth91

Lets start here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126875

Now, if you install ROW and then RFB, the only thing that will change is the size of the sun. Halo, glare, reflections will be there from ROW. Now, when JSGME is telling you X file and been changed already by Y file does not necessarly mean it is changing the same exact file. There will several changes within the file but it will not be the same changes that ROW has done as complared to RFB is changing. So, if ROW is installed first and then RFB it will say that ROW has altered these files already. That is ok because ROW did alter them as to how the game is rendered. RFB will change that existing file to how the file will render play.

Anyway, load ROW, RFB and RSRD (if you want) in that order. You will have no issues.

swdw 01-27-08 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
"I read in a book that they sank one with the deck gun. It's more realistic to have them blow sky-high with every single hit!"

Beery did a huge amount of research when designing that mod, and he's gotten nothing but flak ever since. Go ahead and change whatever you like; but make sure you have ALL your facts straight, and aren't just another gamer looking for an edge.

Sometimes expressing a thought on this forum will cause some people to jump to conclusions and assume the worst. Which is why people don't do so very often.

Sigh, there was flak on the reload times when RC2 was released, but the reason for that was because of an abherent behavior on th part of SH4. For some reason, on my system, the reload time is 4 times the reload value in the gun file. As far as I can tell from feedback, no one else see's this with the exact same mods installed. So although I released the mod with observed reload times of 20, 24, and 28 on the 3 guns, everyone else saw 5,6,and 7. If the time multilpier had not happened during testing, the 5 inch gun in RC21 would have taken LONGER to reload than Beery's time and you'll see that on the next release. Which of course we'll get flak for doing.;)

So just don't assume we're trying to make an uber deck gun.

Sailor Steve 01-27-08 10:17 PM

You're right; I forgot I was addressing the guy actually doing the work. It's just after so many years of seeing "it has to be fixed!"...well, you know.:oops:

CDR Resser 01-27-08 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just a bit!!!

What he said.:up::rotfl::up:

Capt Jack Harkness 01-27-08 11:55 PM

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, but what happened to the emergency surface order? Fleet boats did have emergency surface capability (in fact, some where I saw a pic of one of them pulling a damn-near 60 degree surface!).

Not having e-surface also robs me of a rather fun tactic I used to use on sampans and lightly armed merchants: the Battle Surface (in which I order battle stations then e-surface so that the sub bursts out of the water with gun crews ready for a quick running gun attack). This maneuver was also successfully used by Wahoo during one of her attacks.

AVGWarhawk 01-28-08 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, but what happened to the emergency surface order? Fleet boats did have emergency surface capability (in fact, some where I saw a pic of one of them pulling a damn-near 60 degree surface!).

Not having e-surface also robs me of a rather fun tactic I used to use on sampans and lightly armed merchants: the Battle Surface (in which I order battle stations then e-surface so that the sub bursts out of the water with gun crews ready for a quick running gun attack). This maneuver was also successfully used by Wahoo during one of her attacks.

I hit the E key and the ballast is blown. If you are already at battle stations, you should be good to go on the suprise surfacing tactic.

swdw 01-28-08 09:14 AM

We had to remove some of the buttons so they would not be covered when the game was run at 1024X768.

Emergency surface is a infrequently used command, so it was one of the ones removed from the button panel.

swdw 01-28-08 09:16 AM

Some of the buttons were removed because of them being covered running at lower resolutions.

Emergency surface is a infrequently used command, so it was one of the ones removed from the button panel.

AVGWarhawk 01-28-08 09:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just a bit!!!

What he said.:up::rotfl::up:

One of the RFB crew(historical information gathering) have found a few instances of using the cannon to sink vessels larger than the sanpan. He has also found how many rounds fired, how many hit home that did the sinking. Looking to a get a decent average on type of round used, how many hits to do the job. Hopefully this new found info will generate a common ground concerning the cannon.