SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   share your online/DRM experience (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162670)

Bilge_Rat 02-28-10 09:07 PM

share your online/DRM experience

I was wondering if anyone with the game (and internet of course) had any problem playing the game.

In my case, I played about 6+ hours over the past 2 days and had no problems.

The game starts quickly and I had zero interruptions in play.

gutted 02-28-10 09:14 PM

pretty painless for me so far, but i still dont like it.

Will be secrectly on the lookout for ways to "remove" it, just for principle.

CCIP 02-28-10 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 1284914)
I was wondering if anyone with the game (and internet of course) had any problem playing the game.

In my case, I played about 6+ hours over the past 2 days and had no problems.

The game starts quickly and I had zero interruptions in play.

About same. The worst so far is that it just HAS to remind me that it's there every time I start the game.

No connection drops, no problems.

The leaderboard feature, about the only "benefit" of the system, is absolutely ridiculous though. It is full of hackers with billions of tons sunk and very blatant "cracked" account names. So much for "copy protection" working :nope: I hope they crack down on that, at the very least. It's making it all look like a joke.

I hope the DRM goes away but honestly, on a scale of 1 to 10, it's been 0 as far as having any effect of my experience with the game.

gutted 02-28-10 09:25 PM

LOL yeah i saw that too, but those names are the names you choose for you career i think.

I chose something stupid (and different than my account name), and that "stupid" name showed up on that screen.

gutted 02-28-10 09:27 PM

How do you switch careers?

I started one to play around with, and another "serious" one. But i can't figure out how to load my initial one. It only shows my current one in the load screens.

Méo 02-28-10 09:33 PM

No problem neither with OSP.

No problem with saving/loading delay.

OSP appart, it's not really about bugs or stability. The game seems to be missing some very important features, maybe I did not explore enough...:hmmm:

thruster 02-28-10 09:50 PM

well, its nice to hear that its not causing much grief so far.

whilst i havnt yet bought the game, my internet connection went thru a typical fail ALL of yesterday. so had i bought it, it would have been useless to me...

so lets get this straight; i have a day off work, i sit down and go "tops, lets go hunting" with my new TypeV11 uboat i just theoretically bought. can i? NO.

typical scenario. sucks to be me, huh.:down:

FIREWALL 02-28-10 10:11 PM

For the short time I messed around with it I didn't have any problems.

So Far... :haha:

DMB3428 02-28-10 11:02 PM

no problems here, game seems to load up pretty fast...

gutted 02-28-10 11:12 PM

Just had to wait almost a minute at the launcher for my online saves to get "syncrhonized" before launching.

I grew impatient waiting and then hit the settings button in the launcher and turned that feature off.. then lauched the game right away. Silly, i'm only playing from 1 PC, why the hell would i want to store my saves online?

Ironically it still gave me a syncrhonization message upon entering the main menu.

bleh.

Elder-Pirate 03-01-10 12:14 AM

Curious to know, are you ( any of you with new SHV ) running your Anti-Virus in the background? That and maybe a few other online necessary programs running?

Mainly any Anti-Virus is known to goof up your game one way or the other. In fact most games tell you do not run Anti-Virus when installing nor playing.

Meanwhile I'm playing SHIV behind closed doors ( offline hiding from UBI :DL ) with about 75% process shut down in the background.

Scuse me here comes a Japanese oil tanker, gotta run.......er dive.;)

Good luck Captains. :up:

gutted 03-01-10 12:36 AM

Another problem:

Twice now, it has autosaved on me while using the hydrophone. And both times it kicked me out of the station.

No biggie i say, i just try to re-man the station.. but it wont let me. I keep clicking, walking around in circles and clicking on it again and again. Nothing happens. So i hit ESC then go back, and finally it lets me back in.

Méo 03-01-10 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate (Post 1285136)
Curious to know, are you ( any of you with new SHV ) running your Anti-Virus in the background?

Yes, ESET Anti-Virus, no problem so far.

Few bugs but nothing close to SH4 on release (except for the crew on bridge, they don't report contacts:shifty:). But it seems like there are other types of problems, few things missing.. kinda annoying. Maybe it's just me, time to adapt, I don't know. (don't take it too seriously, only my first impressions).

And my computer is getting really old. :-?

russ555 03-01-10 03:46 AM

I have never had any problems with any anti virus program effecting games other than AVG once had a false positive on a World of Warcraft file but i just ignored it.

I think that they just say to disable anti virus software as a way of covering themselves.

gutted 03-01-10 09:27 AM

Connection problems today.

Both times i started the game i get "Failed to syncrhonize saved games". Even though i have it setup to not do that.

And both times when trying to load my last save the game says this immediately after the long load screen:

"The game experiences connection problems. Please wait until the game can resume. You can exit to main menu by pusing OK."

I push OK, and get dumped back to main menu. Try again and it loads.

I'm not a fan. :damn: