SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] Tench Class and 1945 Start Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109972)

sb1171 03-30-07 04:50 PM

[REL] Tench Class and 1945 Start Mod

This is my first go at modding!

Added the Tench Class. Uses the model, skin and capabilities of the Balao. (Same way that the stock Gar Class is related to the Tambor).

The following boats are included: Tench, Thornback, Tigrone, Tirante, Trutta, Toro, Torsk, Quillback, Argonaut, Runner, Conger, Cutlass, Diablo, Medregal, Requin, Irex, Sea Leopard and Odax. I think this accounts for all the Tenches commissioned before the war ended.

Also added the ability to start a career in 1945 (so you can start one with the Tench). I think I have got the upgrade class right so it should be offered as an upgrade in other campaigns when it is historically available (not tested yet).

Tench is available in quick missions but I have not modded any of the single patrols to include it.

Mod works with JSGME. (31/3/07 - may be an issue with vista. see readme file included. If you installed this mod and did not see 1945 campaign start available this will fix it)

Seems to work all OK, but use at your own risk!

http://files.filefront.com/TenchClas.../fileinfo.html

31/3/07 Download link updated to include readme file.

WilhelmSchulz. 03-30-07 05:43 PM

screenes?

sb1171 03-31-07 01:21 AM

I made the claim that this works with JSGME. This may not be the case on vista with UAC running. It may be necessary to install the following three files manually if you run vista:

Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData\CareerStart.upc
Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData\Flotillas.upc
Data\Roster\Names.cfg

This is because these overwrite current files and UAC will prompt for the overwrite for these files. (Back up first!)

The rest of the files in the mod are new files so should install with JSGME no problem.

sb1171 03-31-07 01:43 AM

Some screens here:

http://gallery.filefront.com/sb1171/83503/

They dont appear very clearly on filefront, right click and "save as" if you want to read the text in the screen shots!

In game the Tench class is identical graphically to the Balao.

WilhelmSchulz. 03-31-07 02:17 PM

Is the torpedo loadout the same? The Trench carried 4 more fish.

Sailor Steve 03-31-07 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilhelmSchulz.

TENCH!

sb1171 03-31-07 06:20 PM

Quote:

I did not know this. Have you got a source for this. All references I have found state 24 fish (same as balao).

At present torp loadout is the same. Not sure how easy it is to increase it, but if you are correct, I will see if I can change the load out.

Mush Martin 03-31-07 06:30 PM

Tench did have extra torps also tench was a two deckgun ship

the major advance of tench though was in fabrication whereby
she came by a much better service depth due to advances in
welding techniques.

WilhelmSchulz. 03-31-07 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush Martin

welding techniques.

I have looked and not that manny had 2 DG's

sb1171 04-01-07 02:37 AM

Deck Guns: The stock game has 5in guns available in 1945. You can install 2 of these to any sub if you have enough renown. (you can only man the fore gun yourself - you have to leave the crew to fire the aft). So yes you can have two deck guns.

Torpedoes: I can increase the torpedo loadout if this is how it should be. I still can't find a reference that Tench class boats carried more than 24 torps other than the Silent Hunter 1 manual, and I thought they may have added extra torps to make the Balao to Tench upgrade worth it from a game play perspective? (The same thing applies here so I would like to increase the load out if it is historically correct). Can anyone point me to a reference? Would also need to know if the extra torps should be forward or aft.

Depth: Sources reference stronger steel/construction, but the test depth still remains the same as Balao in every source I can find (400ft). Should the crush depth be increased? If so by how much?

WilhelmSchulz. 04-01-07 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1171
Depth: Sources reference stronger steel/construction, but the test depth still remains the same as Balao in every source I can find (400ft). Should the crush depth be increased? If so by how much?

Both the Balao and Trench classes could make it to 600 ft. But only because thats how far the depth guage went.

Sailor Steve 04-01-07 02:43 PM

According to Padfield one of the best-kept secrets of the war was that the Balao pioneered the use of STS (armor) for the pressure hull. Another source (which I will supply this afternoon) states that they estimated the Balao and Tench classes would be good to 900 feet. No official verification, though.

Quote:

Both the Balao and Trench classes could make it to 600 ft. But only because thats how far the depth guage went.

TENCH!

nimitstexan 04-01-07 03:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

welding techniques.

None of the photos I have of Tench boats show 2 deck guns . . .

Mush Martin 04-02-07 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimitstexan
Quote:

Quote:

welding techniques.

None of the photos I have of Tench boats show 2 deck guns . . .

Allow me a double check Ill be back.

Mush Martin 04-02-07 10:24 AM

Well Im not to big to say im wrong its a 40 and doesnt appear
to have held the deck osition often or much sorry dude.