SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   I keep missing torpedoes? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=237265)

PaleBlueDot 04-17-18 08:01 AM

I keep missing torpedoes?

Hello all.

I'm using GWX and MaGui's GUI mod.

I've been practicing different techniques in the "torpedo" training session of naval academy, trying to shoot down the medium tanker. For some reason though, I keep hitting either his bow or I miss him a bit in front of his bow. Even though my solution is set to hit him at the superstructure.

I'm using a U-jagd chronometer to determine his speed, sometimes with a chekup on the map (find the distance travelled in one minute). I'm not yet good at determining the AOB by just looking at the ship, so I usually make a guess, but end up just measuring it on the map. Distance doesn't really play a big role in the solution but I use the stadimeter.

Any suggestions or tips?

hauangua 04-17-18 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleBlueDot (Post 2549762)
Hello all.

I'm using GWX and MaGui's GUI mod.

I've been practicing different techniques in the "torpedo" training session of naval academy, trying to shoot down the medium tanker. For some reason though, I keep hitting either his bow or I miss him a bit in front of his bow. Even though my solution is set to hit him at the superstructure.

I'm using a U-jagd chronometer to determine his speed, sometimes with a chekup on the map (find the distance travelled in one minute). I'm not yet good at determining the AOB by just looking at the ship, so I usually make a guess, but end up just measuring it on the map. Distance doesn't really play a big role in the solution but I use the stadimeter.

Any suggestions or tips?

For take speed in navigation map you need wait 3 minutes and 15 second,
and measure the distance that the target has traveled

PaleBlueDot 04-17-18 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2549763)
For take speed in navigation map you need wait 3 minutes and 15 second,
and measure the distance that the target has traveled

It doesn't need to be 3 minutes and 15 seconds necessarily. Any distance and time will suffice if you want to do it on the map. Usually *if* I do it on the map, I take 5 minutes and look it up on the knots-minutes table.

What I want to know is

1) Does it matter what power of persicope (x1.5 , x6 or x12) I use for the U-jagd?

2) What is the error on the speed measured by the U-jagd when the ship is at a big angle (say, AOB = 35°)?

And 3) My original question :) -- why are my torpedoes missing even though my maths seem to be correct?

I'm a physics student with a minor in mathematics -- my math is usually correct with respect to these things. So I guess it's gotta be an error in torpedo parallax or another measurment error?

I'm tempted to step away from the parallax hypothesis because I tend to keep my gyro-angles under 10°, which should reduce the parallax effect, yet I keep missing or barely hitting the bow.

bstanko6 04-17-18 06:05 PM

Are you selecting the correct AOB? Port or starboard? It has to be right!

schlechter pfennig 04-17-18 06:09 PM

Are you also opening the tube doors prior to firing?

Pisces 04-18-18 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleBlueDot (Post 2549799)
What I want to know is

1) Does it matter what power of persicope (x1.5 , x6 or x12) I use for the U-jagd?

No, for the speed measurement only the centerline is important. If you are measuring range and AOB then yes. As the apparent size changes with zoom level.

Quote:

2) What is the error on the speed measured by the U-jagd when the ship is at a big angle (say, AOB = 35°)?
AOB (angle between target bow and centerline of periscope) doesn't matter. But you can't see the exact tip of the bow and stern when the angle of the bow is near 0 or 180. When you are looking at it's broad side then your timing accuracy is the best.

Quote:

And 3) My original question :) -- why are my torpedoes missing even though my maths seem to be correct?

I'm a physics student with a minor in mathematics -- my math is usually correct with respect to these things. So I guess it's gotta be an error in torpedo parallax or another measurment error?

I'm tempted to step away from the parallax hypothesis because I tend to keep my gyro-angles under 10°, which should reduce the parallax effect, yet I keep missing or barely hitting the bow.
Are you moving forward when you are doing the U-jagd speed measurement? And are you looking sideways? (bearing not 0 or 180) Then you own speed infuences the measurement. It drags the imaginary fixed wall through the sea sideways. So the other ship has longer or shorter time to pass through it resulting in an incorrect speed. If the periscope is straight ahead or straight aft then your speed does not influence. So best is to come to a true full stop, or turn the bow to face the target ahead of it's path.

allievo 04-18-18 11:32 PM

Make sure your U-boat isn't turning when you launch a torpedo. Your rudder should always be set to 0 degree before firing. Also keep in mind targets tend to alter speed and course as soon as they detect your U-boat or your torpedoes which might cause them to hit the target at an unexpected spot.

GoldenRivet 04-20-18 11:42 AM

easiest way to determine AOB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1moVghX_SE