SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Elder Scrolls V in the works - direct sequel to Oblivion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177327)

Raptor1 12-04-10 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfehunter (Post 1546417)
I disagree with you Sky. Every new sequel game has a smaller world to explore. Your wrong there.

I'm quite sure Oblivion's world was actually significantly larger than Morrowind's, it just looked smaller since it wasn't shrouded in perpetual fog and there wasn't a huge mountain in the way.

Dowly 12-04-10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1 (Post 1546890)
I'm quite sure Oblivion's world was actually significantly larger than Morrowind's, it just looked smaller since it wasn't shrouded in perpetual fog and there wasn't a huge mountain in the way.

Yep, Oblivion's world is much larger. :yep:

Platapus 12-04-10 12:09 PM

I do wish there would be some computer RPGs which really followed alignment criteria; where you would be able to make choices that may or may not be the easiest choice but one that follows alignment.

NWN, which I love, started to implement it but only a little bit. There they focused more on lawful/chaotic than good/evil. There was also a lack of atonement which can be fun.

Unfortunately because of the min/max culture, programming a moralistic RPG probably won't be profitable.

Platapus 12-04-10 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 (Post 1541354)
I would log in to just watch these retards play out their fantasy. :haha:

Why the hatred for people playing a game the way they and their friends want to?

Need to feel somehow superior or something?

Pretty sad when your self-image is dependent on denigrating people playing a computer game. :nope:

Wolfehunter 12-04-10 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1546934)
Yep, Oblivion's world is much larger. :yep:

Before or after the expansions? :hmmm:

Biggles 12-04-10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1546385)

Oh, and Bethesda, do not worry over the story's plot: leave it out, just give players a huge beautiful place to let players stroll around, that is all what most players want anyway!

This!!!

First thing I do whenever I reinstall Oblivion is to download a mod that takes away the mainquest and those horrendously boring and annoying oblivion gates...quite ironic that the worst part of the game happens to be the main plot:nope:

Raptor1 12-05-10 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfehunter (Post 1547205)
Before or after the expansions? :hmmm:

Both.

antikristuseke 12-05-10 04:55 AM

While TES IV was a beautiful wilderness rendering thingy it lacked gameplay and story. Hopefully they make an actual game this time, not a wilderness simulator.

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen (Post 1540808)
and Bethesda was, in my opinion, the greatest thing to ever happen to Fallout.

I passionately disagree with you. Fallout should have never gone from turn based to real time, nor should it have ever been first person perspective, but to each his own. At least New Vegas is a decent game, unlike Fallout 3 which was meh at best.

kiwi_2005 12-05-10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 1546941)
Why the hatred for people playing a game the way they and their friends want to?

Need to feel somehow superior or something?

Pretty sad when your self-image is dependent on denigrating people playing a computer game. :nope:

Superior? :har: I use to play WoW nothing Superior about being a player to that game. In fact I'm going back to wow when Cata expansion comes out in 2days time. Yeah I quit last time and sold my account so I will have to start from scratch. Cata's to damn impressive for me to miss it.

As for hatred! I have no hatred towards WoW's RPlayers. Where did I say hatred? :roll: If I had hatred towards them I would log into the RP server and give them all a hard time but I aint that type of player. Nope. I just find it damn funny at their playstyle and use to log in at times to watch them.

Your jumping to conclusions take a chill pill brother :smug:

Skybird 12-05-10 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 1547218)
This!!!

First thing I do whenever I reinstall Oblivion is to download a mod that takes away the mainquest and those horrendously boring and annoying oblivion gates...quite ironic that the worst part of the game happens to be the main plot:nope:

So do I, although I don'T mod the main plot away. If you do not hand over the amulett to the monk at the Weynon priory, the plot simply stops to develope.

I use the Battlehorn castle mod, and some environmental changes. I love to just stroll around in the woods and gaze at the amazing landscape in different light of the day, and weather. The game is just so beautiful.

onelifecrisis 12-05-10 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1540353)
Out of curiosity, what you'd call an RPG then? :hmmm:

:timeout:

Bad Dowly!

On topic... I hope they either leave out the stealth or do it right this time.

NeonSamurai 12-05-10 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1547396)
The game is just so beautiful.

Till you talk to anyone anyhow. I always found the oblivion experience to be incredibly lonely (similar to fallout 3, but in that game you should feel that way).

I like Bethesda games a lot, but they really need to work on the NPCs. At least it has gotten better though.

Takeda Shingen 12-05-10 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antikristuseke (Post 1547376)
I passionately disagree with you. Fallout should have never gone from turn based to real time, nor should it have ever been first person perspective, but to each his own. At least New Vegas is a decent game, unlike Fallout 3 which was meh at best.

Yes, to each his own. :up:

Personally, I detest turn-based combat. I understand why it was used in the early days of RPGs, but game engines have evolved and improved. RPGs strive for realism in the choices the player makes and the effects on the surrounding world, so why not include a quasi-FPS approach to combat? It certainly is far more realistic than having two guys take turns whacking each other until one of them falls over. Really, I don't see how the evolution of RPG game combat is a detriment; it brings it up to par with the decision-making aspect of the RPG, allowing the player to be fully engrossed, rather than relegating combat to a series of abstract menu commands. Certainly the combat has a ways to go in terms of functionality and freedom, but Oblivion (the forerunner of F3 and NV) was a tremendous step in the right direction.

Of course I'm going to disagree about Fallout 3, but I have never been a Fallout 'purist'. I tend to put the game experience before canon, and in that regard, F3 shines. I loved the free-form sandbox play of the game, but I know that it turned a lot of people off. I really like New Vegas too, but one of the things that I don't like is the story-heavy play. I feel forced to pick a path and move down it. For example, from Goodsprings, I am forced to go south, as there are creatures to the north that are far too powerful for a new player to handle. This is intentional, designed to funnel the player into a series of plot devices. It is well done, but I still prefer being able to go where I want when I want to.

Safe-Keeper 12-05-10 01:38 PM

In a real-time RPG combat should be real-time. Don't mix the two, it just kills immersion and breaks the flow of the game. Disliked it a lot in Final Fantasy games when you ran around the map in real-time and just wanted to get from Point A to Point B, and all of a sudden there was a transition effect and you had to fight a turn-based battle. {/my personal opinion}

As for the stealth in Oblivion, considering that the rest of the game was as unrealistic as it was, I guess we should be happy with what we got:O:.

Takeda Shingen 12-05-10 01:58 PM

I can completely agree with the stealth skill being unrealistic. When I can essentially disappear to the point of being able to pick a pocket in the middle of the Imperial City in broad daylight, it may have gone too far. Of course, as Safe-Keeper said, there were a whole slew of these type of things. If you got your acrobatics skill up high enough, your standing vertical leap was something like 3 body-lengths. With a high enough athletics skill, you could outrun horses. Of course, this is also a game with magic plants, fire-resistant elves and summoned monsters, so I tend to take the call for realism with a very small 'r'.