SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   HBO's Game of Thrones (Lots of spoilers-stay out if you don't want to know all) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=194137)

Onkel Neal 04-09-12 10:28 AM

HBO's Game of Thrones (Lots of spoilers-stay out if you don't want to know all)

As a life-long Robert E. Howard fan, I am really enjoying the Game of Thrones series. It has the rich tapestry of Hyperboria with a wide array of fascinating characters whose interlocking ambitions really ramp up the plot.

Anyone else watching this series and want to discuss?

It took me a while to get all the story elements down but by the middle of Season 1, I was almost done asking "Who is Daterias again?" :)

Spoilers now allowed.

mookiemookie 04-09-12 10:33 AM

Last night was a doozy. I was wondering how they'd top the infanticide in the first episode this season. The scene in Littlefinger's brothel topped it. Yuck. :rotfl2:

The books are great. I read the first one and got ahead of the series as I couldn't put it down. I'm not doing that for the second season. I'm only reading along with the series, and not ahead.

Theon Greyjoy's sister Asha is pretty....ah....mannish looking, isn't she?

Skybird 04-09-12 10:37 AM

First season has just been broadcasted in Germany, on three evenings with 3 episodes each. Unfortunately I had to miss the second evening, but by the 1st and 3rd TV evenings I agree, it was very well done, I'm looking forward for the second season, in Germany probably late this year, or in the next.

I also liked that they managed to not show the limitations of their budget, but cleverly working around that so that you are made to believe they worked with a very big budget indeed. That is solid craftsmanship.

Not any of my most favourite series, but definitely a very good one, very good standard.

Dowly 04-09-12 10:43 AM

Following the series too, was a bloody long wait for the 2nd season. :haha:

Easily one of the more interesting one's from HBO, the cast is quite amazing
and no one really seem out of place in their role. Tyrion is great, nice to see
Peter Dinklage in a big role. :up:

Onkel Neal 04-09-12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1867299)
The books are great. I read the first one and got ahead of the series as I couldn't put it down. I'm not doing that for the second season. I'm only reading along with the series, and not ahead.

This is one time I am going to put the books on hold until the series concluded in 5 years or so, then read them. I am a big fan of good lit but I think the series is amazing and I want to keep the sensation fresh as I watch it. Looking forward to reading them in my retirement :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1867301)
First season has just been broadcasted in Germany, on three evenings with 3 episodes each. Unfortunately I had to miss the second evening, but by the 1st and 3rd TV evenings I agree, it was very well done, I'm looking forward for the second season, in Germany probably late this year, or in the next.

I also liked that they managed to not show the limitations of their budget, but cleverly working around that so that you are made to believe they worked with a very big budget indeed. That is solid craftsmanship.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a treatment this big on TV, and it would have been ruined as a three hour movie. Thank God for HBO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1867305)

He certainly has the best dialogue and makes the most of it. :yep:

mookiemookie 04-09-12 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1867305)

Dinklage is great. He absolutely steals every scene he's in. I'm rooting for Tyrion all the way!

Egan 04-09-12 11:53 AM

Dinklage is fantastic, but then, nearly every cast member is superb. My ex colleague's former boyfriend plays the Hound. Having met him once or twice in the past, i have to say, he's nowhere near as scary in real life!

Gargamel 04-09-12 12:52 PM

I'm hfway through the final book, and I still have no clue who's who. Think you're confused now, wait till book 3 ( not sure how the series correlates).

Egan 04-09-12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 1867358)
I'm hfway through the final book, and I still have no clue who's who. Think you're confused now, wait till book 3 ( not sure how the series correlates).

According to an interview I read a couple of weeks ago, elements of the third book will be moved into the second season, and elements of the second book will be moved into the third season. Fairly sensible decision, I think.

Osmium Steele 04-09-12 01:50 PM

He'll have to do something drastic before season 3.

If the scripts followed the books as closely as season 1, you'd have a bunch of ticked off ex-viewers wondering why thier favorite characters weren't in season 3 at all.

Mr. Martin has promised not to do that again, btw.

Onkel Neal 04-09-12 04:22 PM

No spoilers, now!:cool:

Platapus 04-09-12 05:36 PM

The Frau is into it big time. I have watched a few shows. It seems like a very expensive production. :yep:

Rilder 04-10-12 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1867299)
Theon Greyjoy's sister Asha is pretty....ah....mannish looking, isn't she?

Absolutely not.

She's quite hot actually, especially in that attire.

Dowly 04-10-12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilder (Post 1867578)
Absolutely not.

She's quite hot actually, especially in that attire.

I agree. :yep:

Jimbuna 04-10-12 08:26 AM

Took me a while to get over Sean Bean losing his head so early but overall I'm enjoying it tremendously.