SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   2010 SubsimMachFest (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165409)

Dowly 05-19-10 04:49 AM

Well... you can only make so many movies from a subsim. I mean, there really isnt much to it, sea and boat (and targets :O:).

Maybe you should start hosting yearly machinima fests, you know, take out the submarine restriction. :hmmm::yep:

HunterICX 05-19-10 05:15 AM

Agreed, the Submarine restriction is a showstopper for movie makers.

also with the regular submissions of SH videos, this event might perhaps increase the effort put into the video but if you ask me doesn't differ from the videos I see in the SH video threads.

take away the restriction and bring in more variety.

HunterICX

TarJak 05-19-10 06:34 AM

You may be right but I don't buy it.

The contest's only restriction relating to subs is that a submarine appears in the movie not that the movie is about a submarine. You don't even have to use a subsim game to create the vid although that has been the main source of content last year.

A single shot with an identifiable sub in it is enough to qualify. For the rest of the video could be made from the Sims for all I care.

The movie's content is entirely up to the creator of the video and the point of the contest is to both promote Subsim as well as encourage creative machinima making.

I was hoping that with SH5 the AI characters gave movie makers more scope than previous versions of the SH series. That appeared not to be the case this time around. Maybe next year.:06:

Dowly 05-19-10 06:45 AM

Having to have a sub in the movie is quite a big restriction actually. What if someone wants to make space machinima? How you going to have a sub in that? :DL Or Sims or land warfare or air war from a battle that didnt have subs around etc. etc.

But hey, it's your contest so if you want to have it the way you like, I'm not going to oppose. :yep:

TarJak 05-19-10 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1397032)
Having to have a sub in the movie is quite a big restriction actually. What if someone wants to make space machinima? How you going to have a sub in that? :DL Or Sims or land warfare or air war from a battle that didnt have subs around etc. etc.

But hey, it's your contest so if you want to have it the way you like, I'm not going to oppose. :yep:

If someone wants to do a space or land machinima and they can creatively work a sub into it then I'll watch it.:DL

Serisously yes there are restrictions but that is the point. No sub then there is less logical connection to SUBsim. The creativity and how the make works with the restrictions is part of the challenge. Maybe it's too much of a challenge?:06:

krashkart 07-04-10 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1397032)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarJak (Post 1397036)
If someone wants to do a space or land machinima and they can creatively work a sub into it then I'll watch it.:DL

Serisously yes there are restrictions but that is the point. No sub then there is less logical connection to SUBsim. The creativity and how the make works with the restrictions is part of the challenge. Maybe it's too much of a challenge?:06:

:hmmm:

TarJak 07-05-10 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart (Post 1435535)
:hmmm:

I'll see your :hmmm: and raise you a http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...leys/dunno.gif

TarJak 01-31-11 07:20 AM

2011 Subsim Machinima Festival

OK after last years debacle with only 2 non compliant entries I'm willing to give this thing one more try if I can get some interest out of the Subsim Community.

What do you say?