SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Hi. I'm New Here (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=235277)

p55carroll 11-02-17 02:35 PM

Hi. I'm New Here

I heard subsim.com is the place to go if you're into sub sims or need help patching or modding them. Well, I may be in that position, so here I am.

I mostly play turn-based PC strategy games. But many years ago I got hooked on the Aces games by Dynamix, which eventually included Aces of the Deep. I liked it a lot but was never any good at it.

Twenty-odd years later, I bought Silent Service (1 + 2) at GOG.com, and SS2 immediately became one of my favorite games. I still play it pretty often. Just played it last night.

Since I liked it so much, I thought maybe I ought to look for a more up-to-date sub sim. I play on a laptop, though, and I wasn't that confident it'd meet the hardware requirements. Eventually I bought Silent Hunter 2 (again from GOG). It ran OK, even on my old laptop (I just upgraded a couple months ago). But I obviously had a lot to learn, and I put it off.

Now I've been fooling around with SH2 again (while still playing SS2 as well). On my new computer (an Acer Aspire with Windows 10), I've had to restart at times to make course plotting work or to clear up some graphics distortion. But overall, the game runs. Yet I'm wondering if I should buy the Silent Hunter package (or some part of it) at Steam and get into one of the newer versions instead.

Then, yesterday, I watched a YouTube video of Cold Waters. Wow--another option. (Though I could get the whole package of SH games for its current price.)

So, I'm an old gamer, but I'm new. And right now I'm just looking around at the possibilities.

HW3 11-02-17 02:42 PM

Welcome Aboard!

u crank 11-02-17 03:02 PM

Welcome to SubSim p55carroll.:salute:

Gerald 11-02-17 04:05 PM

Welcome to SUBSIM p55carroll

:Kaleun_Applaud:

THEBERBSTER 11-02-17 04:30 PM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > p55caroll
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Cyborg322 11-02-17 05:36 PM

Welcome Aboard

p55carroll

:Kaleun_Salute:

Happy Hunting

Simon
:subsim:WOLVES OF STEEL MEGAMOD

fitzcarraldo 11-02-17 08:24 PM

Welcome aboard and enjoy! :subsim:

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Aktungbby 11-02-17 09:17 PM

welcome aboard!

p55carroll!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna 11-03-17 06:55 AM

Welcome :salute:

Eichhörnchen 11-04-17 07:13 PM

Welcome aboard; the sooner you can get to play SH3 the better :)

p55carroll 11-05-17 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen (Post 2523485)
Welcome aboard; the sooner you can get to play SH3 the better :)

Thanks all. And FYI, I just took that advice. I'd been hesitating to buy the Steam version of SH3 because of the hassles I'd heard people were having with it. But so far it's no problem at all for me; it's running fine right out of the box.

Now I just have to learn to play the darned thing.

CTU_Clay 11-07-17 09:33 AM

Welcome to SUBSIM "p55carroll" :Kaleun_Salute: