SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   How Do I Plot My Position On The Map When Using Real Navigation? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240313)

Capt Codetrucker 03-18-19 01:38 PM

How Do I Plot My Position On The Map When Using Real Navigation?

I am using the TWoS "Real Navigation" functionality and I am not letting the automatic navigator give me my position. I am using the sextant and chronometer to find my lat/lon, but I can't figure out how to make an accurate plot mark on the SH5 map. How do I do this?

PS - The map is really difficult for my old blurry eyes to see. Is there another one available or am I limited to Google Earth, etc.?

Sjizzle 03-18-19 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker (Post 2597848)
I am using the TWoS "Real Navigation" functionality and I am not letting the automatic navigator give me my position. I am using the sextant and chronometer to find my lat/lon, but I can't figure out how to make an accurate plot mark on the SH5 map. How do I do this?

PS - The map is really difficult for my old blurry eyes to see. Is there another one available or am I limited to Google Earth, etc.?

to have a clear map u need to disable from the option file viewer in the UI tab the night filters...
here are 2 videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRcLgYsE-w&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvv1gIx-R10

Capt Codetrucker 03-18-19 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597851)
to have a clear map u need to disable from the option file viewer in the UI tab the night filters...
here are 2 videos

I followed the videos and made the change in OFEV UI, but I did not see any change. I know the aged nature of the map is appropriate to the era, but is there a map replacement that looks brighter and cleaner?

Sjizzle 03-18-19 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker (Post 2597878)
I followed the videos and made the change in OFEV UI, but I did not see any change. I know the aged nature of the map is appropriate to the era, but is there a map replacement that looks brighter and cleaner?

the videos was for plotting...
got to Silent hunter 5/menu/gui and rename PlasticTexture.dds to PlasticTexture.Back and if u don't like how its look then u can change it back to PlasticTexture.dds

Capt Codetrucker 03-18-19 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597884)
the videos was for plotting...
got to Silent hunter 5/menu/gui and rename PlasticTexture.dds to PlasticTexture.Back and if u don't like how its look then u can change it back to PlasticTexture.dds

Thank you for the videos and the heads-up on the *.dds files. I was able to make other changes to my liking too. Another mod I would be interested in would be more grid lines on the map and the corresponding lat/lon numbers on the four sides. Is this available?

bstanko6 03-18-19 05:12 PM

Why don’t you have the Lat/Lon on your map? Give us a screen shot!

Capt Codetrucker 03-18-19 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2597908)
Why don’t you have the Lat/Lon on your map? Give us a screen shot!

There are lat/lon grid lines (very faint) at the whole degrees, but there is nothing finer when the map is zoomed which makes precision and accuracy difficult. I will try to post a screenie soon.

Capt Codetrucker 03-18-19 05:37 PM

How do I upload an image?

bstanko6 03-18-19 08:26 PM

If you’re just looking for finer positions on the map, just use your nautical chart. Press E on your keyboard, and look for nautical chart.

bstanko6 03-18-19 08:28 PM

There are no mods that give minutes. You use the nautical chart to get minutes. My video shows the nautical chart I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/QDzGMSKmPl0

Sjizzle 03-18-19 11:37 PM

in sh world 1 min = 2km 1 degree = 120km or 60 min

maybe this one will help u

Edit:

Quote:

Calculating longitude by comparing time difference. If we have two accurate clocks, one calibrated to GMT and the other calibrated to local time, then it is an easy matter to calculate our longitude from the difference between the two times.

For example, if the difference between GMT and local time is three hours, then the difference in longitude must be 3 x 15o. If local time is ahead of GMT then the local longitude must be East of the Greenwich Meridian and if local time is behind GMT the longitude must be West.

Example: If it is 18.00 GMT when it is 09.20 local time on the same day, then local time must be 8 hours and 40 minutes behind GMT. Therefore Long = – [(8 x 15o) + (40 ÷ 60 x 15o )] = – [120o + 10o] = -130o = 130o West
more about astronavigation here

Capt Codetrucker 03-19-19 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2597937)
There are no mods that give minutes. You use the nautical chart to get minutes. My video shows the nautical chart I’m talking about.

Thank you. I already viewed that last night when I was researching the subject. One problem I am having with the tool is sometimes when I overlay the tool on the map it kind of freezes where I cannot move the tool, but only the map behind the tool moves. It hasn't happened consistently enough

to identify any pattern. I don't think it would make any difference, but I am using the cursor grid without any lines which is different than the one in the video.

Capt Codetrucker 03-19-19 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597951)
in sh world 1 min = 2km 1 degree = 120km or 60 min

maybe this one will help u

Edit:

more about astronavigation here

Ah! Brings back memories! Seriously, I knew this navigation stuff already, but I will never ignore an offer for a refresher course. I am grateful to have your step-by-step guide for SH. Thank you. :up: