SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Big Telecom's astroturf campaign against Net Neutrality (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169378)

Torvald Von Mansee 05-12-10 08:32 AM

Big Telecom's astroturf campaign against Net Neutrality

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/11/...ty-grover-afp/

Discuss

mookiemookie 05-12-10 08:35 AM

Quote:

Slides 7-8 calls for the campaign to target “libertarian minded internet users and video gamers”
I like think the truly hardcore internet users such as these people are savvy enough to see through the lies and bulls**t that the industry spinmeisters and PR groups are trying to shovel.

It's sad to see that any sort of regulation at all....anything that's even slightly to the left of pure anarchy....is painted with the "ZOMG GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER!" brush by the hysterical loons.

Torvald Von Mansee 05-12-10 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1389819)
I like think the truly hardcore internet users such as these people are savvy enough to see through the lies and bulls**t that the industry spinmeisters and PR groups are trying to shovel.

It's sad to see that any sort of regulation at all....anything that's even slightly to the left of pure anarchy....is painted with the "ZOMG GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER!" brush by the hysterical loons.

Well, you would believe the retarded spam I hear via mic and chat in various video games from both sides. I think some video gamers can be very gullible.

SteamWake 05-12-10 10:23 AM

I guess the fact that the supreme court shot this down as unconstitunal is irrelevant.

But that doesent stop the agenda.. hell just make it a public utility then they dont have to bother with that pesky law.

It's nothing more than a way to 'control' the content available on the internet.

After all according to Mr. Obama too much information is bad.

If you guys cannot see what is afoot here you never will untill its too late.

Just one more layer of control.

Oh yea and 'thinkprogress.org' LOL well at least they will still be around.

mookiemookie 05-12-10 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1389947)
I guess the fact that the supreme court shot this down as unconstitunal is irrelevant.

But that doesent stop the agenda.. hell just make it a public utility then they dont have to bother with that pesky law.

It's nothing more than a way to 'control' the content available on the internet.

After all according to Mr. Obama too much information is bad.

If you guys cannot see what is afoot here you never will untill its too late.

Just one more layer of control.

Oh yea and 'thinkprogress.org' LOL well at least they will still be around.

You're so bass-ackwards on this it's laughable. Mandating that ISPs treat all internet content the same is controlling content? More like NOT controlling content! What kind of mental contortion-ism do you have to go through to reach that conclusion? They're proposing to do the exact OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU JUST SAID.

SteamWake 05-12-10 11:19 AM

Unh huh.. yes of course..

For every fox news there must be a msnbc... oh wait there already is.

So why the push for 'fairness'?

As I said before it is just one more layer of control.

Quote:

Mandating that ISPs treat all internet content the same
Main Entry: 1man·date
Pronunciation: \ˈman-ˌdāt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French & Latin; Middle French mandat, from Latin mandatum, from neuter of mandatus, past participle of mandare to entrust, enjoin, probably irregular from manus hand + -dere to put — more at manual, do
Date: 1501
1 : an authoritative command; especially : a formal order from a superior court or official to an inferior one
2 : an authorization to act given to a representative <accepted the mandate of the people>

Torvald Von Mansee 05-12-10 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1390036)
Unh huh.. yes of course..

For every fox news there must be a msnbc... oh wait there already is.

So why the push for 'fairness'?

As I said before it is just one more layer of control.

Main Entry: 1man·date
Pronunciation: \ˈman-ˌdāt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French & Latin; Middle French mandat, from Latin mandatum, from neuter of mandatus, past participle of mandare to entrust, enjoin, probably irregular from manus hand + -dere to put — more at manual, do
Date: 1501
1 : an authoritative command; especially : a formal order from a superior court or official to an inferior one
2 : an authorization to act given to a representative <accepted the mandate of the people>

Wow. Is that really all you've got?

Torvald Von Mansee 05-12-10 04:15 PM

This seems like a good place to leave this:

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...-demonstration

Ducimus 05-12-10 06:40 PM

Net neturality's days are numbered unfortunately. Big corporations just have too much collective muscle. I am amazed that some people think that government regulation to maintain net neturality is a bad thing. I guess to some, ANY government involvement, regardless of intent is bad. Period.

Unfortunately, there is no convincing anyone with that opinion until the internet suffers from the strip mall effect, and some large corporation becomes the virtual version of wallmart. Sites, like this one, will be pushed right off the map with the big players having dibs on bandwidth. Whats more, being able to D/L things for free will be a thing of the past. Want to upload a mod? That will cost you. Want to D/L a mod, patch, or streaming video? That will cost you too. There will eventually come a time when the internet will no longer be a free medium, and only large corps with the muscle to stake out bandwidth will have a presence on it.

These are the "good ole days" Enjoy it while it lasts.

Torvald Von Mansee 11-23-17 11:22 PM

How odd there isn't a Net Neutrality thread..

Why is that?

Sailor Steve 11-23-17 11:54 PM

Actually there have been several. Seven years ago you started one yourself.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...Net+Neutrality

Onkel Neal 11-24-17 10:03 AM

Good time for a merge, let's have some discussion about it. I don't really know what it is.

Nippelspanner 11-24-17 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2527164)
Good time for a merge, let's have some discussion about it. I don't really know what it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...hy_is_there_a/

propbeanie 11-24-17 12:06 PM

Basically, the feds stepped into the internet (which they gave away, btw), and mandate (regulate) that User A (who does 3d work and online gaming from home) gets the same bandwidth on his DSL as User B gets (who only does email and bookface), and User C (who has dial-up internet), gets the same, with User A and User B paying for the upgrade for User C. Equality. Besides the 911 "fees" that are on my phone bill (a good idea), there are all sorts of other federally mandated little "fees" on there (most are bad ideas), for me to help pay for this, that and the other. Then there's those little phone company "fees" that help pay for them to pay the feds, and line their pockets while they're at it...

Sailor Steve 11-24-17 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nippelspanner (Post 2527173)

Good explanation. Also the discussion going on in the comments there is interesting as well.