SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Pirates & Sailing Ships (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Who else still plays SM's Pirates? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=222957)

CaptainRamius 11-19-15 12:29 PM

Who else still plays SM's Pirates?

Hey guys,
Today I have a question for you all. Who here still plays Sid Meir's Pirates?
I love this game so much! I am extremely happy that they have made an iPad version, so I can enjoy being a pirate on the go. If anyone wants to know, Sid Meir's Pirates is an open world pirate game developed by Take2 Interactive. You can buy it for Windows, Mac and iOS. It's part management sim and full pirate simulator. So...who still plays this?

Commander Wallace 11-19-15 07:42 PM

I had never heard of it until now but will look into it . Thanks for mentioning it .

ReallyDedPoet 11-19-15 08:23 PM

Decent review:

Here

fireftr18 11-19-15 11:11 PM

Aaarr, I be playing a game of it now! :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve 11-19-15 11:18 PM

Back in the day I played the original. I like the new (11 years old now?) a lot, but don't play it much. I beat it handily on level 3, turning the entire Spanish Main into the English Main.

On level 4 I didn't survive a game week. :dead:

CaptainRamius 11-20-15 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2360044)
Back in the day I played the original. I like the new (11 years old now?) a lot, but don't play it much. I beat it handily on level 3, turning the entire Spanish Main into the English Main.

On level 4 I didn't survive a game week. :dead:

At level 4 I just quit. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Wallace (Post 2360023)
I had never heard of it until now but will look into it now. Thanks for mentioning it .

It's one of my most played games now. You really should play it :salute:

Eichhörnchen 11-20-15 04:14 AM

I came across this on an old CD Rom recently. I'd heard mention of it on the Gaming forum but when I looked at the graphics on the carton I was put off getting it (despite the silly price of 0.99p).

I'm the first to speak up for retro-gaming and RPG, but "top-down view" games don't do it for me. Maybe I boobed.

Jimbuna 11-20-15 07:08 AM

Tried it and simply couldn't get away with it.

CaptainRamius 11-20-15 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2360093)

I really love it. I suggest you should give it another try, though :D

Thagarr 11-20-15 02:02 PM

The 2004 game is a good game, but for anyone who played any of the multiple different platform versions of the original, it pales in comparison to the original 1987 game. The gameplay from the original just isn't there, but I guess they had to make room for ballroom dancing somehow!

Port Royale was a much better game in my opinion than Sid's remake. It had a dynamic economy, and the option to build your own pirate hideout! Two things, among many others, that we plan on incorporating into Hearts of Oak!

CaptainRamius 11-20-15 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thagarr (Post 2360199)
The 2004 game is a good game, but for anyone who played any of the multiple different platform versions of the original, it pales in comparison to the original 1987 game. The gameplay from the original just isn't there, but I guess they had to make room for ballroom dancing somehow!

Port Royale was a much better game in my opinion than Sid's remake. It had a dynamic economy, and the option to build your own pirate hideout! Two things, among many others, that we plan on incorporating into Hearts of Oak!

I looked at Port Royale once, it didn't seem that good, IMO.
I guess I'll look at it again.

Platapus 11-21-15 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2360093)

Next time perhaps try paying for the game before leaving the store. Makes the "get away" a lot easier. :D

Platapus 11-21-15 08:52 AM

Many many enjoyable hours playing this game.

As soon as I was able to get/buy/steal one of those small Royal Mail sloops (I think it was a sloop), that's when I was able to really take off and start dominating the enemy.

I liked the sword fighting a lot. Not so much the dancing :doh:

CaptainRamius 11-21-15 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 2360379)
Many many enjoyable hours playing this game.

As soon as I was able to get/buy/steal one of those small Royal Mail sloops (I think it was a sloop), that's when I was able to really take off and start dominating the enemy.

I liked the sword fighting a lot. Not so much the dancing :doh:

You mean the Mail Runner, or Royal Sloop. Both are pretty OP.
The dancing part I hate, but it's definitely needed in order for you to finish the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 2360377)
Next time perhaps try paying for the game before leaving the store. Makes the "get away" a lot easier. :D

Did the cops get you? Is it on video? :D

Jimbuna 11-21-15 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 2360377)

LOL....I should be so lucky :)