SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Why Use The TAC Map? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238771)

Lanzfeld 10-04-18 03:05 PM

Why Use The TAC Map?

I was wondering why people use the tac map instead of just plotting on the regular map like I do? What am I missing here? Is there some advantage to the tac map? I mean.....it takes an extra keystroke to open it vs. the map.

Fifi 10-04-18 04:02 PM

Right.
I don’t see the point too. Never used any TAI map in any SH :yep:
Nevertheless, if they took time to create a TAI map, there should be a use :hmmm:

Lanzfeld 10-04-18 10:52 PM

I agree. The tactical map is useless

Cybermat47 10-04-18 11:09 PM

Situational awareness. While you’re targeting a ship with the UZO, you can see if one of the destroyers starts speeding up and turning towards you on the TAI.

Fifi 10-05-18 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2571349)
Situational awareness. While you’re targeting a ship with the UZO, you can see if one of the destroyers starts speeding up and turning towards you on the TAI.

I see, but if you can see destroyers on TAI map, hence map contacts activated, you can see exactly the same on nav map...
But the only advantage of TAI is you can stay in periscope view and see the situation awareness on TAI (if not full expended)

vdr1981 10-05-18 06:26 AM

TAI map was completely disabled in first TWoS versions but I had to enable it again because of constant weeping from new auto-TDC, GPS, I-just-want-to shoot-something Captains...:)

Cybermat47 10-05-18 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2571360)
I see, but if you can see destroyers on TAI map, hence map contacts activated, you can see exactly the same on nav map...
But the only advantage of TAI is you can stay in periscope view and see the situation awareness on TAI (if not full expended)

Which is pretty valuable IMO.

Playing with map contacts activated is basically like having the watch crew monitoring the enemy and informing you of their movements. In real life, if a destroyer starts steaming towards you, the watch crew will tell you immediately, not wait for you to check the map.

Fifi 10-05-18 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2571384)
TAI map was completely disabled in first TWoS versions but I had to enable it again because of constant weeping from new auto-TDC, GPS, I-just-want-to shoot-something Captains...:)

I think if i recall well, we can disable it in TDW patcher, can’t we?

Lanzfeld 10-05-18 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2571387)
Which is pretty valuable IMO.

Playing with map contacts activated is basically like having the watch crew monitoring the enemy and informing you of their movements. In real life, if a destroyer starts steaming towards you, the watch crew will tell you immediately, not wait for you to check the map.

Very good point. I never thought of it that way. Thank you

skin-nl 10-06-18 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2571349)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2571360)
But the only advantage of TAI is you can stay in periscope view and see the situation awareness on TAI

That's the main reason i am using TAI.

When i attack a single ship or convoy i measure the distance between me and the other ship all in TAI looking through my periscope while i can see when the destroyers coming for me, it's all pretty handy. I cannot imagine TWOS without TAI :03:

Michael

Ashikaga 10-06-18 04:12 AM

Never used TAI. Too unrealistic.