SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Anybody playing Crusader Kings 2? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192534)

Drewcifer 02-15-12 06:40 PM

Anybody playing Crusader Kings 2?

Thoughts? Stories? Insight? Anything? I'm new to the series just picked it up today.

Oberon 02-15-12 06:54 PM

Raptor has it and will likely divulge his tales of murder and intrigue shortly. :yeah:

Raptor1 02-15-12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 1839785)
Raptor has it and will likely divulge his tales of murder and intrigue shortly. :yeah:

No!

...Okay, fine.

Our story begins with Duke Conan II of the glorious independent Duchy of Brittany. Said Duke was unmarried, and so was Duchess Matilda of a Whole Bunch of Stuff. Seeing a chance to grab all of that, he immediately proposed marriage, and because Matilda obviously couldn't resist being married to someone named 'Conan' she accepted.

Alas, within several years Conan died at the age of 40 (Murder, I say!) and was inherited by his and Matilda's eldest sun, Charles I. Now, Charles I was very anxious to see his mother dead, as once that cow kicked the bucket he'd be first in line to inherit about half of Italy. But in the meantime a Crusade was called and he sailed for the Middle East. Despite occupying most of the Holy Land, he was promptly kicked out by overwhelming numbers and returned to Brittany. At this point Charles decided that France was acting rather suspiciously, so he asked the Holy Roman Emperor if he could join him (Only temporarily, of course). Now, Matilda, who at age 50 something still wasn't dead, decided to take her Duchies and declare independence from the Empire. However, she was promptly crushed and sent to the dungeon.

Charles then married the new Duchess of Normandy, and they had a son, who, highly imaginatively, was also called Charles. Deciding he was rather bored, he started plotting to murder his bastard half-brother, who was being rather a pest. He was also asked to join a conspiracy to lower crown authority in the Empire and accepted because he hated that whole crown authority thing. Finally, he married his sister off to the King of Scotland, since he seemed like a nice person who only had about even odds of trying to murder him.

This is the point everything fell apart. That bloody Bishop got drunk and decided to tell everyone about Charles' plot, which was not at all very nice. Then, the conspirators in the Holy Roman Empire decided to go ahead and start a civil war, which Charles hadn't really counted on. And then Duchess Matilda finally died, leaving Charles with a bunch of Italian Duchies and a horde of angry subjects.

After a moderately successful campaign against the Imperial armies for several months, Charles was pretty thoroughly crushed as his allies were incompetent. Several months later, he died (Again, no evidence, but murder!) and left the throne to the several-years' old Charles II, who was also the heir to the Duchy of Normandy.

Now, it seems that quite literally everybody in the realm hated young Charles II, and within six months he found himself with more knives in his back than there was surface area for. Being dead and all, the Duchy of Brittany transferred to some backstabbing treacherous woman, while the inherited Italian Duchies transferred to the aforementioned sister of Charles I, who I forgot the name of, the Queen Consort of Scotland. Said sister had a son, but he was of his father's dynasty and so was pretty useless. A short-lived plot to murder the King of Scotland turned out useless as she died four years later, and Prince Roger of Scotland inherited the rest of the dynasty's possessions.

And that was that. The moral of the story is: murder your half-brother before doing other things. Or something like that...

seaniam81 02-15-12 08:48 PM

I've got it. Trying to be King of Wales, while bedding my niece, and attempting to kill the second wife. Oh and the most exciting thing! Norway invaded England and WON!

I have to say this is the smoothest release by Paradox.

HunterICX 02-16-12 04:23 AM

Can't wait to get my hands on the game myself :D

HunterICX

Hottentot 02-16-12 04:46 AM

Loved the first one and I'm still playing it every once in a while. I hadn't even heard of the sequel before threads on various forums kept popping up and people claiming to be playing it.

I guess my wishlist got another addition. :DL

(And possibly also my "Games to write AAR about" list.) ;)

Drewcifer 02-16-12 08:45 AM

An aar... I would def like that Hottentot. So far from what I've played the game is drastically different every time you play it, of course certain historical things are favored to happen but a few choices by you could complete change all that and so every game is completely new and open ended.

Hottentot 02-16-12 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewcifer (Post 1840075)
An aar... I would def like that Hottentot.

I have been tempted to write an AAR of the first CK for a while, but haven't really picked it up. Much like the recent Evil Genius story: I had wanted to write it at least months before I actually started. The problem is the slow tempo and the repetitive nature of the game, as well as I really don't know for how many generations it should continue. It has lots of potential, but I need to do some serious planning beforehand if I'm going to write one.

The sequel will have to wait. I'm too cheapskate to pick it up as new and it will probably have some expansions sooner or later, so I'll be looking for the kind of bundle as CK and Deus Vult were when I bought them.

So the answer is "eventually", which might be tomorrow, after a year or after a decade, but far more likely "eventually" than "never". At least the original game is filled with such hilarity that I wouldn't even need to make stuff up too much, as long as I figured some reasonable way to pull it off while still keeping it as an interesting story. Need to take a much closer look on Oberon's Vicky AAR to ste...develop some good solutions.

The will is definitely there.

Rilder 02-16-12 09:22 AM

Yeah been playing, pretty fun and actually pretty bug free on release which is a nice change compared to some other paradox releases. Though it is the Debut of Paradoxes new DLC instead of expansions system which is kinda meh.

Playing a French Count right now. Never played a CK game as anything ever higher up then a count and don't plan to start now. :O:

Drewcifer 02-16-12 01:09 PM

Yeah I was playing as an Irish Earl, claimed about half the island and then stalled, couldn't get a legitment claim on a county I needed, waited, plotted, my son killed me, reunited my lands, finally got the claim and attacked, quickly realized I was out matched and hired mercs, ran out of money so they turned on me and well after the mercs raped and pillaged everything game over screen.

It is a hard game honestly... you have to sit and be patient and literally wait years for plans to mature because the game brutally punishes you for forcing your hand, even when you think you have an advantage small as it maybe.

kiwi_2005 02-16-12 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1 (Post 1839835)
No!

...Okay, fine.

Our story begins with Duke Conan II of the glorious independent Duchy of Brittany. Said Duke was unmarried, and so was Duchess Matilda of a Whole Bunch of Stuff. Seeing a chance to grab all of that, he immediately proposed marriage, and because Matilda obviously couldn't resist being married to someone named 'Conan' she accepted.

Alas, within several years Conan died at the age of 40 (Murder, I say!) and was inherited by his and Matilda's eldest sun, Charles I. Now, Charles I was very anxious to see his mother dead, as once that cow kicked the bucket he'd be first in line to inherit about half of Italy. But in the meantime a Crusade was called and he sailed for the Middle East. Despite occupying most of the Holy Land, he was promptly kicked out by overwhelming numbers and returned to Brittany. At this point Charles decided that France was acting rather suspiciously, so he asked the Holy Roman Emperor if he could join him (Only temporarily, of course). Now, Matilda, who at age 50 something still wasn't dead, decided to take her Duchies and declare independence from the Empire. However, she was promptly crushed and sent to the dungeon.

Charles then married the new Duchess of Normandy, and they had a son, who, highly imaginatively, was also called Charles. Deciding he was rather bored, he started plotting to murder his bastard half-brother, who was being rather a pest. He was also asked to join a conspiracy to lower crown authority in the Empire and accepted because he hated that whole crown authority thing. Finally, he married his sister off to the King of Scotland, since he seemed like a nice person who only had about even odds of trying to murder him.

This is the point everything fell apart. That bloody Bishop got drunk and decided to tell everyone about Charles' plot, which was not at all very nice. Then, the conspirators in the Holy Roman Empire decided to go ahead and start a civil war, which Charles hadn't really counted on. And then Duchess Matilda finally died, leaving Charles with a bunch of Italian Duchies and a horde of angry subjects.

After a moderately successful campaign against the Imperial armies for several months, Charles was pretty thoroughly crushed as his allies were incompetent. Several months later, he died (Again, no evidence, but murder!) and left the throne to the several-years' old Charles II, who was also the heir to the Duchy of Normandy.

Now, it seems that quite literally everybody in the realm hated young Charles II, and within six months he found himself with more knives in his back than there was surface area for. Being dead and all, the Duchy of Brittany transferred to some backstabbing treacherous woman, while the inherited Italian Duchies transferred to the aforementioned sister of Charles I, who I forgot the name of, the Queen Consort of Scotland. Said sister had a son, but he was of his father's dynasty and so was pretty useless. A short-lived plot to murder the King of Scotland turned out useless as she died four years later, and Prince Roger of Scotland inherited the rest of the dynasty's possessions.

And that was that. The moral of the story is: murder your half-brother before doing other things. Or something like that...

:haha::haha: That was a good read.

Rilder 02-16-12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewcifer (Post 1840214)
Yeah I was playing as an Irish Earl, claimed about half the island and then stalled, couldn't get a legitment claim on a county I needed, waited, plotted, my son killed me, reunited my lands, finally got the claim and attacked, quickly realized I was out matched and hired mercs, ran out of money so they turned on me and well after the mercs raped and pillaged everything game over screen.

It is a hard game honestly... you have to sit and be patient and literally wait years for plans to mature because the game brutally punishes you for forcing your hand, even when you think you have an advantage small as it maybe.

That almost sounded like someone elses game I read about where some guy hired mercs but ran out of money so they defected to the enemy side which also couldn't pay for them so they defected and conquered the enemies lands for their own little nation.:rotfl2:

Drewcifer 02-18-12 03:38 PM

Wasn't sure I was going to like this game, because it does have a different aspect of things your not really playing a from the driver seat like Total War, or Civ, your just playing person to person thru the ages of your family.

That said I am loving this game so far. However on a bit of a side note I now it wouldn't be as 'STRATEGY' intense and probably would have to be dumbed down some, imagine if they mixed Crusader Kings and Mount and Blade.. merged the diplomatic/Kingdom management of Crusader with the combat and character control of mount and blade... I think it would def have a shot at being a huge hit if not somewhat losing a some of its layers due to the large scope of the game.

Spike88 02-18-12 04:34 PM

This is what Sengoku should've been like. The AI is way less fidgety

The only thing I wish for was a simple interface who shows you who is at war with who. Unless I'm missing something(I know all of the other Paradox games have this). Right now I'm playing as Sven I of Ors... a Swedish Duke. I've married a Duchess of an Italian state(Tuscany I believe), so my child should have land claims on that. I eventually plan on taking Sweden over.

Drewcifer 02-18-12 04:37 PM

There isn't a global way to check all wars that I know of, but if you open up any characters screen it shows who they are fighting right next to their claims under their portrait.

However short of actually seeing troops on the march there is no way to bring up a screen that shows current wars THAT I know of.. I'm for all purposes a newb as I never played Crusader Kings, or Sengoku.. so everything still has the new car smell to me.