SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   what is the best configuration for a repair crew? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154901)

I'm goin' down 08-14-09 07:32 PM

what is the best configuration for a repair crew?

What is the best configuration for a repair crew. If you select crew from a compartment, is it better to choose officers? Many are assigned to maintenance? How do you know the best configuration if you have many items damaged in different comparments?

Frederf 08-14-09 09:29 PM

The repair crew will assist the compartment's regular crew in the repair priority. Whatever object is top of the repair priority list is what the repair crew will assist with and consequently what compartment is affected.

Leadership acts as a bonus for the whole repair crew so high leadership member in the first slot will increase the overall effectiveness. Be aware that only the first slot has any multiplicative-leadership effect.

I think that each repairable component has it's own mix of skills but mechanical is very important followed by electrical in terms of repair crew skill.

Armistead 08-14-09 09:29 PM

If you choose your command officer and place him elsewhere, you can watch the entire moral of the crew go down.

Each compartment usually has officers in the lead slot anyway and the lead slot only gets credit for leadership bonus.. If I have damage, I'm going to find the crew that has the highest ratings to fix that problem.
If you have damage and your under attack, you want to be careful of taking officers from their stations. Mechanic ratings are more important than rank when it comes to getting things fixed. Play around moving officers when you have damage and just look at the results.

Now, If I'm not under attack, I'll put the best people, officers included where damage is and on the DC.

If I have a compartment that the box shows totally blue, flooded out. I'll fill it up with good repairmen in every slot and put it on top of the DC's priority. Many times this has pulled me out of a uncontrolled dive when I'm under attack. If many are damaged, I'll watch how fast the water is rising in each compartment by the blue box and just have to balance things out the best you can.

green_abobo 08-14-09 10:10 PM

i usually use all the nerds of my crew,electrical and mechanically skilled guys.

any extra torpedo officers w/ leadership are good too.

maybe an occasional sonor guy to fill it out.

when all else fails, time for battle stations!

I'm goin' down 08-14-09 10:21 PM

never seen a compartment turn blue.

I have never seen a compartment turn blue. It must be my computer.:)

Armistead 08-14-09 10:49 PM

You have it...

Look at the SS from another thread on down I posted, I think it was post 17, but you'll see it. See the blue water in the boxes that have the name of each of compartment. These 3 are totally flooded due to unrepairable bulkheads. If you watch them when you take damage you can see the water rise from the bottom. If you pump it out they will clear. Read more on the thread,

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153694

Armistead 08-14-09 11:00 PM

I found one you can compare it to. See the engine room damage. The compartment box is half filled with water, so getting bad.

One thing to watch is how fast they fill up. Kinda gives you a clue of how bad it is. They fill up fast, you're in trouble. I've seen one fill up in 30 seconds. The priority is for me is usually the bulkhead, compressor, then trim pump if they're damaged.

For me, IMO, other may differ. If the compartment is totally red and totally flooded, I put the men in compartments not totally damaged. However, certain things you may need priority. Say my forward torp room is 90% damaged. I'm gonna fill it up with good repairmen. However, if my trim pump is damaged, I'm gonna give that priority to the damage crew so that will be ready to pump when the bulkheads are fixed.

I see no need trying to put a bulkhead totally destroyed as priority. You can't fix it so why waste the men there....? I think with stock and most mods, it doesn't show on the list anyway.

Something I'm not clear on is if the oil tank is leaking if that shows on the surface making you easier to track down. Oil does show bubbbling from the sub on the cam. If it's not major, I want it fixed ASAP. Here I had one compartment flooding, but wanted my oil tank fixed because I was under attack. If I had more damage, it would get placed further down the list. Some say it doe's give you away, others say no.....

However, planes got lucky here and both my engines are gone....game over.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...044043_890.jpg

I'm goin' down 08-15-09 12:41 AM

two more questions

what is DC?

When you put the men to work repairing do you move them to the respecitve compartments (i.e. to the electrical room) if they are the best for the job, move electrical crew elsewhere, or do you put them in the repair crew slots that are above where you assign sailors to the deck and antiaircraft guns?

Armistad--good screenshot. I had never noticed it before and I have been playing longer enough that I should have noticed it. Maybe I should have my eyes checked. Good call on your part!:up:

Everyone's responses have been insightful, and this captain is better for it. Thank you, captains:salute:

Armistead 08-15-09 01:11 AM

DC...Damage Crew.

You always want a good damage crew...obvious, with a good leader.

Obvious, if a compartment is damaged, the men in that compartment start repairing it. If you put your mouse arrow over a character in a damaged compartment it will read watch standing or repairing. What I do if a compartment is badly damaged is remove the ones in there that have lower skills and place men that have higher repair skills from an undamaged compartment in there...make sense. Most of your torpedomen have high repair ratings. If their compartment isn't damaged and the control room is, I'll trade them with lower skilled men in that room.

Sorta like..the deck watchmen usually have high gun ratings. When I'm dived and need torps to load faster, I'll trade them with men in the torp room that have lower gun ratings so torps will load faster.

Just don't forget to put everyone back in place when you're done.

If you're using men with special abilities..depending on mods, you obviously want to use them as much as possible, but they have to be in the right dept. However, many think as long as they're lit up in the right department they're working...not always true. Some you have to go to the special abil..tab, click on the characters icon to activate his skills, then you have them for whatever time they have.

I'm far from the best at explaining things, so if that's not clear maybe Fred can clear it up. I can take more SS's for you if needed.

Armistead 08-15-09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederf (Post 1151060)
The repair crew will assist the compartment's regular crew in the repair priority. Whatever object is top of the repair priority list is what the repair crew will assist with and consequently what compartment is affected.

Leadership acts as a bonus for the whole repair crew so high leadership member in the first slot will increase the overall effectiveness. Be aware that only the first slot has any multiplicative-leadership effect.

I think that each repairable component has it's own mix of skills but mechanical is very important followed by electrical in terms of repair crew skill.

Fred, do you understand efficiency ratings...states something like
30/14 (+39) for each crewman...Never have understood them.

I'm goin' down 08-15-09 12:28 PM

question not answered

I play FOTRS. There have been recommendations to put specialized repairmen and a good leader in a compartment (conning tower) to repair damage. I understand it, and the explanaitions are logical. What about the damage crew slots that are located above the gun slots? They are ususally staffted with 3/4 sailors, but have rooom for several more. What do you do with those?

donut 08-15-09 12:45 PM

The vertical load bar next to repair slots,

will give % efficentcy, on mouseover.

Armistead 08-15-09 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm goin' down (Post 1151264)
I play FOTRS. There have been recommendations to put specialized repairmen and a good leader in a compartment (conning tower) to repair damage. I understand it, and the explanaitions are logical. What about the damage crew slots that are located above the gun slots? They are ususally staffted with 3/4 sailors, but have rooom for several more. What do you do with those?

Haven't played FORS, but if it's the damage crew slots, fill em up before you go on patrol. If it doesn't have a Hogan's Alley, I leave one slot open so I can move men around.

I'm goin' down 08-15-09 10:03 PM

what is a mouseover? (see Captain donut's post)

What is a mouseover? Sounds like a makeover!

Armistead 08-15-09 10:22 PM

When you hold your mouse arrow over or simply click on the person, at the bottom of their details it will tell you if they're watch standing or repairing.

Still don't understand efficency ratings. At port they're full. Obviously they change during patrol, the sleep, states 0, the more you push them the higher they go, just don't know what the (+49) for example means