SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   like SH3 I am having issues with SH4 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238312)

DoctorWho4 08-12-18 06:50 PM

like SH3 I am having issues with SH4

Since I was having issues with SH3 I decided to reinstall SH4 Gold Edition (disk version, v1.5). Like SH3 I can do tutorial and single missions but when I click start for campaign nothing happens. Nothing starts and I have to esc back to the main menu. As well, if I click on options then graphics it totally freezes and locks and I have to open up task manager to shut it down. I seem to not be having much luck lol.

Doc

cdrsubron7 08-12-18 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 (Post 2564781)
Since I was having issues with SH3 I decided to reinstall SH4 Gold Edition (disk version, v1.5). Like SH3 I can do tutorial and single missions but when I click start for campaign nothing happens. Nothing starts and I have to esc back to the main menu. As well, if I click on options then graphics it totally freezes and locks and I have to open up task manager to shut it down. I seem to not be having much luck lol.

Doc

Welcome to SubSim, DoctorWho4. Happy to have you with us. :salute:

Please list your computer specs and OS. You already have v1.5 and since you can play single missions you should have DX 9.0c installed. Do you have any other mods installed? There are many things that can affect why you're unable to get the career mode working, let's start by giving us some info about your computer system and where you have SH4 installed. :D :up:

DoctorWho4 08-12-18 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2564786)
Welcome to SubSim, DoctorWho4. Happy to have you with us. :salute:

Please list your computer specs and OS. You already have v1.5 and since you can play single missions you should have DX 9.0c installed. Do you have any other mods installed? There are many things that can affect why you're unable to get the career mode working, let's start by giving us some info about your computer system and where you have SH4 installed. :D :up:

I have an Intel quad core i7-6700k @ 4 ghz, 16 gb ram, Windows 10 Home ver. 1803 os build 17134.165 nvidia gtx 970. I installed the game to C:\SilentHunterWolvesofthePacific. I have no mods installed at this point. Thanks.

Michael

cdrsubron7 08-12-18 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 (Post 2564790)
I have an Intel quad core i7-6700k @ 4 ghz, 16 gb ram, Windows 10 Home ver. 1803 os build 17134.165 nvidia gtx 970. I installed the game to C:\SilentHunterWolvesofthePacific. I have no mods installed at this point. Thanks.

Michael

Well, your computer specs are more than adequate to run SH4, can't see anything as to why your having problems. Others will be along to offer more advice, we've got a great bunch of guys here, always willing to lend a hand. :yeah:

I used to have a very similar setup to run SH4 before I built my AMD computer. SH4 ran great. Hang in there someone should have an answer for you. :D :up:

cdrsubron7 08-12-18 07:42 PM

One quick question, you are using the latest Nvidia drivers, correct?

DoctorWho4 08-12-18 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2564793)
One quick question, you are using the latest Nvidia drivers, correct?

Yep 398.82 dated Aug 1/18.

cdrsubron7 08-12-18 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 (Post 2564794)
Yep 398.82 dated Aug 1/18.

Thought so. :up:

propbeanie 08-12-18 08:44 PM

If you had the installed previously, there will be an old Save folder that should be deleted. You should find it in the path "C:\Users \YourName \Documents \SH4" ("My Documents" in 10??). You can either delete everything below it, or delete the whole SH4 folder. The game will recreate it again when you start SH4.exe the next time. There might be something in there messing with your current graphics card. If the Submarine School and the Quick Missions work, you should be good to go... Let us know! :salute:

DoctorWho4 08-12-18 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2564797)
If you had the installed previously, there will be an old Save folder that should be deleted. You should find it in the path "C:\Users \YourName \Documents \SH4" ("My Documents" in 10??). You can either delete everything below it, or delete the whole SH4 folder. The game will recreate it again when you start SH4.exe the next time. There might be something in there messing with your current graphics card. If the Submarine School and the Quick Missions work, you should be good to go... Let us know! :salute:

I deleted the whole folder. Same issue....get into the campaign...click start..nothing. When clicking on graphics under options...total freeze. Confusing and frustrating lol.

torpedobait 08-13-18 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 (Post 2564799)
I deleted the whole folder. Same issue....get into the campaign...click start..nothing. When clicking on graphics under options...total freeze. Confusing and frustrating lol.

I'm not sure if it's necessary when running under Win10 (I have Win7 Pro) but have you run the Large Address Aware utility? It will allow the game to exceed the built in 2g limit on memory use. That has been a major problem for many users. Even if that is not your issue, running LAA will not have an adverse effect on your system or the game.

And welcome aboard! :Kaleun_Salute:

DoctorWho4 08-13-18 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedobait (Post 2564845)
I'm not sure if it's necessary when running under Win10 (I have Win7 Pro) but have you run the Large Address Aware utility? It will allow the game to exceed the built in 2g limit on memory use. That has been a major problem for many users. Even if that is not your issue, running LAA will not have an adverse effect on your system or the game.

And welcome aboard! :Kaleun_Salute:

Yep I ran it. Still the same issue...nothing happens when I click start in the uboat campaign. I have tried to start at the dock and at sea...neither worked.

Doc

propbeanie 08-13-18 08:21 PM

OK, hang on... you can get to the part where they have given you your orders, and you're going to start on the boat, either at the dock (sub tender) or outside the harbor? If so, you've given your skipper a name, you've chosen a start date, and the base, and the boat?... :salute:

DoctorWho4 08-13-18 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2564908)
OK, hang on... you can get to the part where they have given you your orders, and you're going to start on the boat, either at the dock (sub tender) or outside the harbor? If so, you've given your skipper a name, you've chosen a start date, and the base, and the boat?... :salute:

Yep exactly. I can do it for both the American and Uboat missions...but when the time comes to start either at the tender or in the harbor nothing happens. I click start and zip. Have to esc back to main menu.

propbeanie 08-13-18 10:57 PM

Ok, it takes a bit for it to load sometimes, but what are your computer specs? Such as what do you have for a computer make / model, or a cpu? How much memory is in it, and which Operating System are you using? Do you know what video card you are using, or is it an onboard type, included on the motherboard of the computer?

hauangua 08-13-18 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorWho4 (Post 2564897)
Yep I ran it. Still the same issue...nothing happens when I click start in the uboat campaign. I have tried to start at the dock and at sea...neither worked.

Doc

Run sh4.exe in compatibility Mod windows 7 ?