SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Graphics tweaks (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238311)

Shibbyland 08-12-18 06:21 PM

Graphics tweaks

I'm using TMO with RSRD and really enjoy the way the game is playing at the moment. I see a lot of screenshots and videos where SH4 looks way better graphically (more like SH5).

I had Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate recommended to me. Does this mod include similar campaign/realism tweaks that TMO and RSRD do? I had a bit of a look and couldn't find reference to it.

What are people using to get the best visuals while still running TMO and RSRD? My main complaint is the anti-aliasing, I have the graphics as high as they'll go but the jagged edges are bad even by 2007 standards.

propbeanie 08-12-18 08:32 PM

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate is more like TMO by itself. While we've attempt for more immersion and less "difficulty", we've also gone with a more unpredictable set of campaign layers. Other than the Battle files and a bit of the Aleutians traffic, it is almost all RGGs (Random Generated Groups), but with a slant toward easier AI to start the game, progressively tougher as the game proceeds. Less traffic early, more traffic in the middle, and less traffic late as the war progresses. It also uses a beautiful environment for just about every aspect of "life" in the game, from sunrise to sunset and through the night, the colors and sounds will pull you in... yes, I am trying to sell you on it... :roll:

For a similar experience, but with the slant toward an RSRDC-style game, there is always Bleiente's choice of Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC, which is a nice blend of the mods, including Optical Targeting Correction from CapnScurvy. Bleiente also tweaked the environment in his mix. It is also lots of fun to "play" - which is why I use MultiSH4... :O: :salute:

Shibbyland 08-12-18 10:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, how well is it running at the moment? Are you able to reliably get through a campaign from start to end on the current Ultimate version? I'm really enjoying TMO, I appreciate the effort put into RSRD but I don't necessarily need accurate historical events, I'd certainly exchange it for much nicer visuals. I generally don't get too fussed about graphics if the gameplay is good but for me SH4 is like some kind of watercolour painting.

Fifi 08-13-18 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibbyland (Post 2564777)
What are people using to get the best visuals while still running TMO and RSRD? My main complaint is the anti-aliasing, I have the graphics as high as they'll go but the jagged edges are bad even by 2007 standards.

Anti aliasing has been always a problem in SH3/4.
SH5 seems less affected by this though.
In SH3/4 you can’t push over X4 supersampling without altering the sun rendering.
But overriding application anti aliasing with X4 supersampling is quite ok, and not that bad game killer IMHO.