SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Anti-Lag (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233201)

Rwearjr 08-30-17 06:55 PM

Anti-Lag

Hi All,
Seeking a bit of help on installing the anti lag mod. I downloaded this last night, and please excuse if my memory is a bit off I am typing this next day from work. As I recall the Readme instruction said "Install into executable directory" I took this to mean "install in same folder as application" or main SH5 folder. This was obviously incorrect as my game would not start. I removed the two files and my game was fine. Obviously I didn't place them in the correct location. Can anyone clarify for a A+ hardware/ software tech that feels kinda dumb right now where in SH5 these two files go?
:k_confused:

Rwearjr 08-30-17 11:40 PM

Ok, so after much searching I have found another thread which said the "executable directory" IS the same folder as folder which SH5 is installed in....If this is so, that is where I placed the Anti-Lag.cfg and the .dll file. As stated my game would not start afterward, got a good feeling I am missing something really simple here.:hmmm:

Rwearjr 09-01-17 12:49 AM

Still haven't solved this one, really hope THEBERBSTER, or any of you more savvy SUBSIMMERS here at the forum can help me understand what I am doing wrong. I have placed both these files in my Main SH5 folder, and yet again my game will not start. Remove them, and voila' game works fine. I am running SH5 on a Laptop, and the anti-lag wouldn't hurt.
Rolf Weare U-51

THEBERBSTER 09-01-17 04:36 AM

HI Rw
The 2 items do go in your main game folder.
Try setting the Antilag to run as an administrator.
I assume you have already made this setting for your SH5.exe!
Have you checked the settings in Antilag that you want to use as per the instructions?
Did n
ot have any problems running Antilag when I had a 1gb gpu.
Peter

Rwearjr 09-01-17 06:22 PM

Thank you kindly Peter. You are a great resource for all in this community your time and dedication are appreciated. I will try these things tonight. I actually had not attempted changing any of the settings within the anti-lag itself. Simply putting it into the game folder and attempting to boot up. Indeed I do have a 1Gb GPU, and can run the game now with approx 50% of the eye-candy on. I am running SH5 as Admin, and with Win7 compat also. Sounds like you are suggesting the Anti-lag itself is an executable file which can be ran as Admin? Gonna spend some more time tonight on this thing after work.
-Rolf Weare U-51
:subsim:

Rwearjr 09-04-17 05:57 PM

I am thankful as always to this awesome community, but alas the anti-lag must be conflicting with my machine or something. I have now tried to install it every way I can think of, altering the settings in the config text also. When these files are in my SH5 folder the game simply will not start. Just passing this along if anyone else should have the same issue. Running SH5 on an HP Beats laptop with 1gig GPU.
Rolf Weare, U-51

excel4004 09-09-17 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwearjr (Post 2510566)
I am thankful as always to this awesome community, but alas the anti-lag must be conflicting with my machine or something. I have now tried to install it every way I can think of, altering the settings in the config text also. When these files are in my SH5 folder the game simply will not start. Just passing this along if anyone else should have the same issue. Running SH5 on an HP Beats laptop with 1gig GPU.
Rolf Weare, U-51

It also doesnt work for me, even i have a fast system. Game does not start. My game does also not start when i run sh.exe as administrator with or without anti-lag. So i dont know. Sure works my game finally without anti-lag and sh.exe then runs without administrator option.

@ Peter, anti-lag offers only a smoother gameplay and not more frames or? I got 60 frames at open sea. When a big convoy is near i only got 30 frames but no lags. Same near/in ports 30 frames but no lags.

Like i said a got a new fast gaming PC so iam not sure why i got only 30 frames in game. Its not a big problem at all because its a sim and not a first person shooter but its strange!?? :hmmm:

Rwearjr 09-11-17 06:30 PM

Excel,
Most of the discussions I have seen on this topic basically say that UbiSoft rushed this game through without the proper time being spent on the final touches of graphics "optimization" While the time was taken to make the game look quite nice (especially for 2012) they didnt then fine tune the code to optimize the graphics for efficient usage of system resources. Hence with even a beefy system by todays standards whether or not the game runs really well with all the eye candy on seems to be more a matter of luck than logic. Though I play the game right now on a laptop, the original system I installed it on was a desktop with top of the line everything which I built myself. This was 2013, but I never got the game to truly run smooth. The laptop I have now has half the Vram of my old tower, but runs the game quite well. Go figure. I was attempting to install the anti-lag to stop the sluggish mouse issue which many here report dealing with. I have A/A turned off, and shadows at half but all other eye candy on. I get about the same F/R as you around 60/ 30 depending on amount of game traffic. The game with TWoS is truly an awesome sim, and worth the hassle to play. But the underlying code will always be quirky/ buggy and poorly optimized IMHO.
BTW I have an NVidia 7 shared resource GPU on an HP laptop.
Rolf Weare, U-51 2nd Flotilla Lorient

THEBERBSTER 09-12-17 03:39 AM

Hi Rw
When Ubisoft introduced the game we do not know how long the R.&D. department took to produce Silent Hunter 5.
This would still be around the time of the old VGA 4.3 type monitors.
The requirement at the time was for only 512mb of ram and the graphics could only be based on what gpu's were around at the time.
Like all Silent Hunter releases 3-4-5 all the games were bugged from the start.
SH5 went from bad to worse when Ubisoft passed the game launcher over to Uplay which has caused the tonnage bar and Campaign transfer problems.
Technology has advanced with HD monitors, ram, and gpu's which can cause complications to older games, and then you have to add in Microsoft OS and it's a wonder any of these SH games can be played to day.
Peter

Rwearjr 09-12-17 07:02 PM

Interesting BERBSTER. I also have another bug I have threatened to post here regarding taking Screenshots. Your post makes me wonder if it might be related to the VGA monitor thing, and flat panel display. During my career I have taken 50 or so screenshots. Decided a week or so ago to look at some of them and perhaps make a wallpaper out of one of the better ones. When I tried to open them NONE would open, giving me a "file format not recognized error".
Having a little computer experience, I know .BMP is a common file format which pretty much any program should be able to open. I downloaded a couple of free photo editing programs, and tried using those. One will open them, but they are "stretched" looks like someone grabbed the upper left, and lower right corners of the pic, and stretched them out. I have never seen anything like this. Every single screenshot looks this way. As is they are unusable. Strange bug. The game itself runs and looks fine, have no idea what could be causing this, ideas? :k_confused:
Rolf Weare U-51, 2nd Flotilla Lorient

THEBERBSTER 09-13-17 03:56 AM

Hi Rw
Highly recommended and easy to use.
Download IrfanView here.

Use CTRL + F11 to capture SH pictures and use Irfanview to open them.
To take other picturea.
Open Irfanview
Go to Options
C to capture screen shot.
Browse button to where you want to save your picture.
Start
CTRL + F11 to capture picture.

propbeanie 09-13-17 09:06 AM

Rwearjr mentions getting "stretched" screen shots. Would the "Disable display scaling on high DPI setts" maybe help in this case? From the "Properties" page, "Compatibility" tab for his SH5.exe??

Rwearjr 09-13-17 06:04 PM

Hi BERBSTER, and Popbeanie:
I have downloaded IRFAN viewer, and yes it is a nice photo manip app. I look forward to using it for many things. Alas, it did not solve my problem tho. I am intrigued by the "DPI Scaling" issue Propbeanie mentions. I have not attempted to run the game with this setting turned off.
I haven't posted any pics here on Subsim since 07 or so. If I remember correctly I need a flicker, instagram or similar photo account to upload a URL link from? Perhaps a visual of what the screenshots look like will help? It looks like a resolution/ scaling issue, and its exactly the same on all 50 or so pics I have taken. It's truly a bummer because of the truly memorable moments I am missing as the war goes on. Thanks to both of you for your replies.
:Kaleun_Salute:
Rolf Weare, U-51 2nd Flotilla Lorient

THEBERBSTER 09-14-17 04:13 AM

Hi Rw
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings
Post #240 Changing AMD Radeon GPU Settings

Peter

Rwearjr 09-19-17 05:41 PM

Thank you BERBSTER, will try the DPI setting fix this weekend. A big :Kaleun_Salute:
to you for all the help you willingly give to me and all on this forum.
-Wayne
Rolf Weare U-51 2nd Flotilla Lorient