SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Odd issue in SH5 torpedos won't explode when they hit their target. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233861)

ERPP8 10-18-17 03:58 PM

Odd issue in SH5 torpedos won't explode when they hit their target.

I blew off the dust from my copy of SH5. I really loved this game despite all the flak it got.

Anyway, I'm finally remembering how to get torpedos to their target, but they won't explode! I'm firing from a reasonable range, hitting at almost 90 degrees to the hull, and set them to magnetic detonation. But they just bounce off and keep moving in a different direction. What's the deal? How do I fix this bug?

THEBERBSTER 10-18-17 05:20 PM

Hi E
They are called duds, and there were plent of them early in the war.
Magnetic fuses were very unreliable especially on the G7e torpedoes and in the game they will often detonate before they reach the target.
Sometimes it can pay to hit the target at less than 90 degrees so there is not a direct severe impact.
Peter

ERPP8 10-18-17 11:01 PM

Thing is, I have duds turned off. Also, 90% of them are duds, which IIRC, is way more than normal for this game. I'd try a fresh install but Ubisoft abandoned this game and doesn't even let me redownload it.

Cyborg322 10-19-17 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERPP8 (Post 2519202)
Thing is, I have duds turned off. Also, 90% of them are duds, which IIRC, is way more than normal for this game. I'd try a fresh install but Ubisoft abandoned this game and doesn't even let me redownload it.

The main reason for torps not detonating are :

Target is too close not allowing torp to arm around 800+/- metre is about right maybe a little closer

Torp "Glances/Bounces of target hull if angle is too far off 90deg angle no less than 60deg has been suggested by most

Torp set to Magnetic . Better to set to Impact as previously explained

Torp set to run too deep missing hull

Torp set to run too shallow combined with hit dead square on has less chance but only slightly

Sub in shallow water torp hitting seabed

Torp hitting hull low glancing off where is is at it most extreme curve

You missed the target ! ! ! ( Try F2 Key to Follow torp to target with ext Camera) Observe what's going on

90% dud is way too high as you say, I find with the early type Torps set to Impact Detonation rarely fail and defo. less than 1 in 10 also most Merchant ships and Destroyers go down with 1 Good hit

Re-installing game prolly won't fix cause there could be another issue but I can't think of any just now. I assume you are using Manual TDC ?

You could record and upload Video if you are still stuck, need to show all setting AOB Speed Firing /Gyro etc and camera follow to target would help

Regards - Simon

ERPP8 10-19-17 02:20 PM

I mean, if I turned duds off in the realism settings, shouldn't I never get them?

vdr1981 10-19-17 02:32 PM

Before you guys waste some more time trying to find out what is going on, note that in vanilla SH5 everything is broken, and this is probably true for torpedoes as well.

ERPP8 10-19-17 03:14 PM

https://streamable.com/wmpgf

Here's it happening. The AOB was as close to 90 as I could get.

Cyborg322 10-19-17 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERPP8 (Post 2519294)
I mean, if I turned duds off in the realism settings, shouldn't I never get them?

Ok I get you now ERPP8

You are mixing up the Realism ( Torpedo Dud ) settings with the Magnetic / Impact Settings they are 2 different things, Turning off duds Probably may help

What you are looking for is the HUD where you see the Fire Button and the Tubes 1 -4 just below you see a small switch labelled Pistol it has 2 positions for "Magnetic" and "Impact" Detonation .

The Magnetic is very unreliable you will even get the odd message from BDU about incidents/Premature Detonation ETC and it mentions it in one of the loading Screens

You will have much more success with the Impact Setting

Your Video was helpful too, you are firing at ships moving away from you at speed, that really will not help . From what I can see you are firing way too late. You need to take into account the Speed Distance and Course the target travels

An ideal Scenario would be your sub on a course 90 deg to the Target ship at a distance of 800m - 1k ( At the point the ship is about to cross infront
of you). You would fire when it was say bearing +30 *thru your scope ( Depending on target speed ) the torp would hit the ships hull roughly 90deg on if the ship was travelling at Medium speed . * A very Approximate example

I recommend you watch one of the excellent You Tube vids on the Subject "Manual TDC" and maybe read up on how to find " Firing Targeting Solution "

It all takes a little practise you will soon get the hang of it

Kindest Regards

Simon
:subsim:
WOLVES OF STEEL MEGAMOD"

Cyborg322 10-19-17 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2519297)
Before you guys waste some more time trying to find out what is going on, note that in vanilla SH5 everything is broken, and this is probably true for torpedoes as well.

" Wasting Time " ?

ERPP8 10-19-17 08:03 PM

I've tried this with magnetic and impact triggers.

And while my aiming skills aren't great, I've tried this in a lot of different situations, firing from different angles, ranges, and speeds. I'm not new to this game, and I have played a lot of vanilla SH5, and this was never an issue.

My plan is to reinstall and see if the Wolves of Steel fixes anything.

THEBERBSTER 10-20-17 03:32 AM

Hi E
If you are playing the stock game you need to use 2 essential mods.
Post #31 Stop Those Circling Torpedoes
Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Updated Pictorial

If your installation is not Steam you should use this essential application and enable the torpedo patches.
Post #2 Installing TDW's Generic File Patcher Part 1
Peter

vdr1981 10-20-17 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2519342)
" Wasting Time " ?

Well, of course...It's somewhat pointless to discuss issues of the stock game when it is well known fact that almost 90% of the game is completely broken, in my opinion of course. The game has to be modded first at least with TDW generic patcher...:yep:

Cyborg322 10-20-17 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2519398)
Well, of course...It's somewhat pointless to discuss issues of the stock game when it is well known fact that almost 90% of the game is completely broken, in my opinion of course. The game has to be modded first at least with TDW generic patcher...:yep:

Hi Vecko

My Bad ! for just assuming everyone interested in Subsim was into a modded game

I not sure about 90% broken, I got the game on day 1 before any Mods were about, I Managed to complete around 75% of the total game I found it a bit Glitchy but nothing I could not workaround. My only big issue was the Vanilla version was for me Plain Boring without Mods but better than any of the then current titles

Thankfully now we have WOS and Sobers not to mention all the other great stuff, I really looking forward to your Warship Additions the Screens look amazing

Best Regards
Simon
:subsim:

WOLVES OF STEEL MEGAMOD

THEBERBSTER 10-21-17 03:27 AM

Hi C
Sobers mega mod is below the radar compared to WOS but it is a highly enjoyable game to play.
Sober made it specifically different to WOS as a campaign version using silentotto and not a career one.
It is also more difficult on some levels because many of the icons have been removed meaning that you have to use the actual gauges to control your boat and give orders directly to the crew.
To get the best from this game it should be played at 100%

This one occassion where a MultiSH5 application would really be useful to be able to have both WOS and sobers games installed.
Peter

Greendevil303 12-05-17 09:41 PM

I always found it entertaining, and frustrating, to watch a well-aimed torpedo glance off of a ship's hull and suddenly turn into a V2 rocket :haha: