SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Suggestion: Game clock (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236152)

LoBlo 01-05-18 10:49 AM

Suggestion: Game clock

Would be nice to have a clock in the game showing the time of the day and total mission time.

lb

Eagle1_Division 01-05-18 01:20 PM

I'll second this.

This became a big issue in a modded-in single mission - The Hunt for Red October - but in general, what I'm about to say applies to any situation where you're hunting a quiet sub.

I was attempting to follow a search pattern, carefully lay out how far October could've gone since I'd lost got a sonar bearing to get a circle for the furthest she could've gotten in that time, but it's nigh unto impossible to know without knowing the time.

Just one example of the many ways it could be extremely useful to know how long it's been since you last had contact.

Especially with weapons - to calculate how far along your harpoons are, or how long that darn air-dropped torpedo has been running that you're trying to evade.

This could all work with a real life timer, were it not for the fact that I don't want to spend 5 hours of uncompressed time doing a search pattern...

GravityWave 01-05-18 01:30 PM

Actually way points to set a course would be nice. Maybe a little less interactive, but also less busy, so time to get ready. I'd asked for a timer in addition to a clock in combat. How far did space those torps? An that's how many yards? So I've got almost a minute and a half left?

There is a clock on the campaign map. I suppose using the 'H' heading marker to check distances is OK, but drawing tools (circle, point, line) would help for guessing course work when making rash decisions. Like abandoning the way points.

Eagle1_Division 01-05-18 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravityWave (Post 2535041)
Actually way points to set a course would be nice. Maybe a little less interactive, but also less busy, so time to get ready. I'd asked for a timer in addition to a clock in combat. How far did space those torps? An that's how many yards? So I've got almost a minute and a half left?

There is a clock on the campaign map. I suppose using the 'H' heading marker to check distances is OK, but drawing tools (circle, point, line) would help for guessing course work when making rash decisions. Like abandoning the way points.

I was actually thinking of going and making a post about drawing tools on the map.

And not having the grid be relative. That's really annoying, actually, since it really destroys your sense of absolute location. The history trail is nice, but it only goes so far.

Capt.Hunt 01-05-18 01:38 PM

yes, my bosun needs a grease pencil, a ruler and a stopwatch. That would be really handy in game

ETR3(SS) 01-06-18 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt (Post 2535045)
yes, my bosun needs a grease pencil, a ruler and a stopwatch. That would be really handy in game

What's a bosun doing on a submarine? They're not smart enough.:haha:

Capt.Hunt 01-06-18 06:23 PM

:sign_yeah:sorry, miss typed, I meant Quartermaster

Delgard 01-06-18 07:59 PM

Sometimes I get a mission that has some travel to be done. I get side-tracked with something in the way. I can engage or quietly withdraw, but I don't know what my time availability is.

Life has not been that difficult, but the idea of a "tasking to engagement" clock would be helpful. Among many things, managing Time and Space is a Commander's concern.

I see the issue and it would produce better mission results. I hope it gets passed to the CNO. As far as mechanics, I look to my Q-Master/OOD to let me know what is an early time is to be in the "possible" target area.