SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Petition for developer (suggestions) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231695)

Check Six 06-15-17 01:33 AM

Save game function

What is seriously needed is the ability to save the game. Not so that we can have a "mulligan" and re-do a mission that we failed miserably (though the thought had occurred :)), but even during campaigns, there is nowhere to save your progress. I returned to port after a successful mission to re-arm and re-fit, but there is nowhere to save.
I can re-arm, re-fit, check my orders etc, but I can't save OR QUIT. I was forced to use the "windows" key to access my desktop and quit the running program. This needs fixing pronto.

Kazuaki Shimazaki II 06-15-17 01:50 AM

Have you tried the Escape key?

Check Six 06-15-17 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II (Post 2491523)
Have you tried the Escape key?

Sure have Try it yourself. Campaign mode, return to Holy Loch to re-arm. You try the escape key then. No? Ok, perhaps after I set sail. No? Ok, perhaps once I get a sonar contact and before I enter battle. No? Hmm.

In campaign mode permanently. I have actually seen a "save" capability ONCE, but am unable to replicate it or remember under which circumstances it appears. I don't know, it's not obvious and certainly not "user friendly".

Kazuaki Shimazaki II 06-15-17 03:39 AM

You indeed cannot save when you are in port or just before entering battle, much less in battle. But you should (and I have) be able to access a screen with "Summary" "Save" and "Quit" (or Exit, I forgot which on it using the Escape key.

Check Six 06-16-17 01:39 AM

Kazuaki,

Yes, I do indeed have the capability to save when in the "Area of Operations" Map screen. I did mention that I had, in fact, seen a "save" function SOMEWHERE. I found it this morning. Thanks for your kind assistance.

Killerfish Games 06-16-17 04:22 AM

The game auto-saves to the Auto_Save file when:
- leaving port
- exit the campaign
- start of combat
- end of combat
- when assigned a new mission

Alternatively you can manually save to the filename you specified at any time while navigating the strategic map.

GrinderX9 06-16-17 06:13 AM

More then enething, this game needs Multiplayer. Cold Waters in multiplayer whould be Incredible :D .

It also needs Frendly AI, if nothing else in the form of frendly AI subs that randomly somethimes apere in campagne missions. This way it become Incredible importent to identefy contacts.

Also, mabe a editor to create singel player missions and campagnes, whit Your own brifing and storry missions.

Badger343rd 06-16-17 06:32 AM

I would like to see more development feedback...what are you working on,whats planed for the future (lots of pictures and stuff).Your site seems kinda blah in that respect.Keep us interested ...excited.Give us a behind the scenes look etc etc. As far as the game as is goes ,I would like to be able too add full screen station graphics with the ability to add my own clickable hotspots...ie ...mapping the "i" key to the periscope station,Or the masts/ESM keys etc etc.

grover 06-16-17 06:45 AM

I just got the game and have only had a quick play but I agree with some of the suggestions of some navigation commands like "come to periscope depth" or right full rudder.

Aktungbby 06-16-17 08:24 AM

welcome aboard firsttime poster!

GrinderX9!:Kaleun_Salute:

pakfront 06-16-17 11:32 AM

In addition to or instead of standard multi-vehicle multiplayer I would love to see multi-station multiplayer. That is, the ability for different players to manage different aspects of the same ship. Examples of existing games that support this are Artemis and Star Trek: Bridge Crew.
I know adding multiplayer of any type is quite a task, so we can but dream.

ClaudiuC 06-18-17 01:11 PM

Don't know if it was mentioned before but we need more information and tools in the overview map!

1) The ability to to set up way points (over the map) since it makes setting up patrol zones much easier
2) A tool to measure the ranges (over the map), draw points, lines predict courses etc
3) More information on the map regarding depths, ability to show information on click etc
4) More realistic navigation & helm controls

pakfront 06-18-17 08:26 PM

Killerfish, I'm so impressed by what such a small team has accomplished. Here are a few simple(?) things I think would help gameplay.

Spacebar placement of weapon waypoint should show estimated time-to-target as well distance and bearing.

When in spacebar waypoint placement mode, hitting spacebar again should toggle off mode, in addition to Escape key.

Mini-map needs scale indicator, even if it simpler than main map.

UI should show TTE and maybe TTR of all of your running weapons. [edit] i figured out this can be done with wire torpedoes but not with unguided. For unguided it's actually even more useful so that would be nice to see all of them at the same time.

Bottom left Ownship UI should show current engine telegraph setting . (I shouldn't have to look at log to see this)

Bottom left Ownship UI should show your current noise level in a simple way.

Single missions should show date of mission so we get a sense of the subs available.

F2 and F3 views need title text for contact name/number or weapon name/number so I know what I'm looking at.

Using mouse wheel in a scrollview should not zoom camera

Expose water murk/fog amount in Options menu rather than require modding file.

Need log message and sound/voice when enemy torpedo launch detected.

Need log message and sound/voice when sonobouy or helicopter detected.

Top right status icons should be persistent buttons and be on/off and allow user to click on them. (optional?)

really really need a "periscope depth" key and button, but I think you know this already.

[Edit 1 more]
Compass should have ticks on it for your current course and direction to selected target.

Nice to have:
Auto priority for repairs - or at least a "fix flooding first" option so priority icon moves to next flooded area automatically.
Engine room should have option to "go as fast as possible without cavitation" so I don't have to readjust telegraph after a burst of cavitation at a new depth.
Flooding should show rate of flooding/draining as well as current amount.
Quick battle menu for random generation of a mission.
Tab to map-view should show camera view in bottom left where mini-map was, in essence swapping views rather than replacing.
Ability to draw on or place icons on map for my own reference.
hotkey or button to "lower all masts"
Ability to set depth and heading rather than manual steering.

AndyLorentz 06-18-17 08:37 PM

Great game, Killerfish! I've been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

A couple things I'd like to see regarding the towed array (besides an in game model, as I understand it's hard to get it to look right from what you guys have said in FPSchazly's streams):

1: Some sort of indicator whether the array is above or below the layer

2: Variable length. Doesn't need to be a Dangerous Waters style continuous reel, but it would be nice to be able to select short, medium, long for various conditions.

VolvicCH 06-18-17 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger343rd (Post 2491893)
I would like to see more development feedback.

The game has been out for a little less than two weeks and has been patched twice, with a third in beta. The developers are also pretty active on this forum. Thats pretty impressive in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger343rd (Post 2491893)
As far as the game as is goes ,I would like to be able too add full screen station graphics with the ability to add my own clickable hotspots...ie ...mapping the "i" key to the periscope station,Or the masts/ESM keys etc etc.

I think that the developers have made it pretty clear that they are not trying to do a "Dangerous Waters"/"688I" type game but rather a successor to "Red Storm Rising".