SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Fighting Steel Problem - Help Please (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88795)

Ghost Wolf 01-26-06 08:24 PM

Fighting Steel Problem - Help Please

Game installs fine and loads correctly, however, ANY time I click on the compass to change course I crash to desktop. :(

Help.

Ghost Wolf 01-26-06 08:36 PM

AppName: fightingsteel.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ddraw.dll
ModVer: 5.3.2600.2180 Offset: 00029e76

frenzied 01-27-06 04:48 AM

This is a windows XP problem, the only way to get fighting steel to work under XP is to use Fighting Steel project. It also rebalances bits of the game and adds a whole lot of new ships.

http://forums.navalwarfare.org/index.php?

From there go to "NWS - Fighting Steel Project / Thunder at Sea " and then to the download page.
It is free :D

sonar732 01-27-06 11:55 AM

Re: Fighting Steel Problem - Help Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Wolf
Game installs fine and loads correctly, however, ANY time I click on the compass to change course I crash to desktop. :(

Help.

As the frenzied stated, NWS-FSP has an awesome mod for Fighting Steel.

fred8615 01-27-06 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenzied
This is a windows XP problem

Specifically, it's a Service Pack 2 AND DirectX 9.0c problem. Installing either or both is what causes the crashing. Game actually works fine with XP without these installed.

Hood 08-23-06 02:07 PM

Fighting Steel Crash

My Fighting Steel crashes to desktop also,but this is with Win 98SE
Have reset SYSTEMCHECK to = 0 in DBZLIB.INI
It says: No 2D Hardware device. Resorting to 2D HEL
Error in creating HEL device
Sorry there was an error in initialising DirectDraw
Please make sure DirectDraw 6.0 or greater is installed
I have DirectX 8.1 insalled and Rage Pro Graphics with driver update
pc is an old Pent III @ 480MHz and 384Mb RAM and plenty of space on a 20Gb HDD
apart from "BIN IT" has anyone any advice
cheers
Hood

fred8615 08-24-06 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood
I have DirectX 8.1 insalled and Rage Pro Graphics with driver update

Is the Rage Pro an Nvidia card? If so, it's the drivers. Latest Nvidia drivers break FS and FSP.

Hood 08-24-06 03:01 PM

Sorry, slight error in original text, should have read reset SYSTEMCHECK to = 1 in DBZLIB.INI file.
No graphis card, built-in Rage Pro , latest driver from ATI (wme j5_30-b02) appeared to load ok
Getting brief message on bootup : Error loading driver NDI SHLP. SYS
Which surely cannot bode well?
But immediately afterwards Win 98SE fires up with no obvious ill effects
What I dont know is what program this driver originated in , and is this what is causing the fault
cheers
Hood

fred8615 08-25-06 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood
latest driver from ATI (wme j5_30-b02) appeared to load ok

From that filename, it looks like you downloaded a Windows ME driver, not a '98 driver. Fortunately, it is ATI, so the latest drivers should work fine. I have them for my card, and FSP plays perfectly.
I would suggest making double sure you have the correct drivers, and reinstalling them. If it still doesn't work, either downgrade to an older driver, or install DirectX 9.0c. The latest drivers may require it. Other than that, I'm stumped. Maybe wipe, and do a complete reinstall of your entire system?

Hood 08-26-06 10:01 AM

I was hoping to try to avoid a re-install if poss, but I think perhaps it is the only way.
The annoying thing is, I originally installed and played F.S. (no patches) with no problem. Since then I have altered something,without knowing .
I now have Fighting Steel on one HDD Win Xp Pro which will not run, install, or delete. I also have it on another HDD Win 98SE which appears as a plain black square in the top l.h. side of the monitor for 2 secs, before crashing back to desktop
and icons.
(Hmmm. looks like 2 re-installs)
many thanks for your trouble.
Hood (sunk)
P.S. Partial success! Restored F.S. on Xp Pro HDD to earlier date,
and it then loaded V9.52 patch. fixing the crash 'on turn command '
glitch. Win 98SE O/S HDD still crashing on trying to access F.S. from
desktop.

("Those the Gods wish to destroy, .....................they first give Fighting Steel !!!)

dean_acheson 03-12-07 01:11 PM

has anyone used this with Vista yet?

AlmightyTallest 08-03-08 02:37 PM

Problems running Fighting Steel

Hey Guys,

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread but I recently discovered this sim and got it running with the Naval Warfare Simulations patch 10.43 on my Windows XP machine. The graphics work fine... Except for the sky textures, they are all messed up, and when you have text or your mouse cursor in the sky graphics it leaves psychdelic trails and whatnot, then after a few minutes my game bogs down and freezes up.

I've tried playing the vanilla game version 1.1 also and got the exact same problem, both with sky texture problems and the slowdown and eventual freeze up.

Below are my computer specs:

Windos XP Home Edition version 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 CPU
6600 at 3.41 GHz 2 GB RAM
NVidia BFG 8800 Ultra OC running version 175.16
drivers
Direct X 9.0c

Now I've also tried using older video drivers for my card, the 163.xx and the game will run without crashing, but the sky textures and odd graphic artifacts are still there.

Anyone know of any way to help get me running with this sim? I'm wondering if it's a video card driver issue.

Thanks for any help! :D

Sailor Steve 08-03-08 10:14 PM

Did you try the Fighting Steel website, as linked above?

AlmightyTallest 08-05-08 03:06 AM

Hello Sailor Steve,

Yes, I actually posted about my problem over at the Naval Warfare Simulation site to see if I could find help there. I'm running their 10.43 version of the game, and recently tried the 9.5 version to see if that would help, but I have the same problems, even when running the origional version 1.1 I'm thinking it has something to do with my video card being Direct X 10 compliant being incompatible with the Direct X9 calls the game is asking for....

Or maybe I have and option in my graphics card selected that I should change. I'm so close to running this fine sim that I don't want to give up on it, I just discovered it!! And I really like what I've seen. :D

Hood 08-06-08 01:04 AM

:hmm: I was just wondering, if the worst came to the worst, and F.S. turns out to be totally incompatible with DiractX 10 cards, if it wouldn't be worth your while, picking up an old PC from a car-boot sale or somesuch, maybe even running :huh: Windows 98 and more or less any old VGA ?
As long as you had no intention of gaming on-line with it (not really secure enough) you could use this for all your retro games, and those which won't actually run under Xp/Vista. (e.g. Rowan's: Battle of Britain etc).
You might even find under your workbench enough obsolete bits and pieces to be able to 'cobble' one together. (I know I could !) :roll:

Cheers and Good Luck
Hood