SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   DW Mission Designers' Forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Mission Editor Also a Tactical Decision Aid? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=83734)

SeaQueen 08-28-05 02:48 PM

Mission Editor Also a Tactical Decision Aid?

When making my plans, I frequently need to have an estimate of how far away my various sensors are likely to detect an enemy target. The problem is especially complex with sonar, because it depends on the bathymetry, bottom type, and SVP. In light of that, I was wondering how good of an estimate the sensor ranges were in the mission editor, and whether keeping another DW running with just the mission editor opened would be a wise way to improve my ability to find the bad guys.

timmyg00 08-28-05 07:59 PM

I think it would be useful, but only as an illustration of what your sensors are capable of under the best of conditions. It might be better to just use the DB editor (that's out there for download) to find out what each sensor range is, and then create a cheat-sheet to have handy during gameplay.

For example, while creating a mission recently, I wanted to test the ability of the FFG lookouts to spot vessels of different sizes. I turned on "View Sensor Ranges" for the lookout and found that it's 10nm, but when I tested the ranges of the lookout reports for certain vessels, they were quite a bit shorter.

TG

SeaQueen 08-28-05 08:05 PM

I've noticed that too. It seems like for all the sensors, the range is shorter than what's illustrated. I wish I knew more about the internals of the different sensor models so I could estimate sensor ranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyg00
I think it would be useful, but only as an illustration of what your sensors are capable of under the best of conditions. It might be better to just use the DB editor (that's out there for download) to find out what each sensor range is, and then create a cheat-sheet to have handy during gameplay.

For example, while creating a mission recently, I wanted to test the ability of the FFG lookouts to spot vessels of different sizes. I turned on "View Sensor Ranges" for the lookout and found that it's 10nm, but when I tested the ranges of the lookout reports for certain vessels, they were quite a bit shorter.

TG

timmyg00 08-29-05 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaQueen
I wish I knew more about the internals of the different sensor models so I could estimate sensor ranges.

Someone's created a DB editor for DW in which you can do just that. I forget exactly who it is... but you can check to see how each sensor is modeled.

TG

Bellman 08-29-05 02:05 AM

SeaQueen wrote:
Quote:

I wish I knew more about the internals of the different sensor models so I could estimate sensor ranges.
Tinman produced a SCID which comes with one of the SCX downloads (4/2/02 !!)

Tinman.
Quote:

I used SC Edit and went through all the Objects, Sonar Profiles, Entities etc. to gather this information from
SC version 1.5. (No Mods).
This gives sensor detection ranges, frequencies, speed degradation, maximum speed and cones.

Also Mad Ivan produced some useful charts which I think came with a SC/SCX mission/campaign pack from Bills site.

These sources may not be adequate or appropriate but, I cannot find the like for DW,
and the info may be of help to others.

timmyg00 08-29-05 11:46 AM

The editor to which I refer is DWEdit, available on Subguru ( www.subguru.com ) in the Downloads section.

TG

Bellman 08-29-05 12:44 PM

Thanks TG.:up:

I have JSteeds DB Editor but I had missed DWEdit completely.

timmyg00 08-29-05 03:10 PM

ah and i had forgotten about jsteed's editor.

TG

Kapitan 08-30-05 08:01 PM

some one give me what do they do ?

Bellman 08-31-05 01:53 AM

K - I have also asked that question in another thread but..................all is quiet. :roll:

There is a readme telling how to instal - then you are on your own :down:

I had hoped that the creators of the editors might respond. :hmm:

Frankly I'm up the 'proverbial creek without a paddle' on this and I guess so are many other non-software buffs. :o :arrgh!: :damn:

LuftWolf 08-31-05 08:50 AM

You put Ludgars editor in your database folder and then run it and open your object file.

Fish 08-31-05 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuftWolf
You put Ludgars editor in your database folder and then run it and open your object file.

Well, being a known blockhead, what is a "object file"? :-?

LuftWolf 08-31-05 10:44 AM

If you look in your database folder, you will see 14 files (I think I counted correctly). Install (unzip) the db editor to that folder. Open the db editor. Choose the open command. Make sure you are in your DW directory and then the DW database directory for the open window. Once you are, you will see the file "object.eod" file listed. Choose that file for the editor to edit, and you can make any changes you need by clicking on the various buttons (object, sensor, launcher, etc going from left to right on the button row at the top of the editor).

Once you have finished making your changes, you have to hit save back at the main interface. All of the db files will be changes except for two, but you always tell the editor to open and save the object.eod file, the rest will be done automatically. :up:

Bellman 08-31-05 11:46 AM

Now I think LW has helped us open the door. :up: Thanks.

It gets serious. :hmm: