SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Portugal forest fires kill 43 near Coimbra (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231920)

Gerald 06-18-17 03:19 AM

Portugal forest fires kill 43 near Coimbra

Quote:

A catastrophic forest fire in Portugal has claimed at least 43 lives, officials say.
Many died while trying to flee the Pedrógão Grande area, 50 km (30 miles) south-east of Coimbra, in their cars, according to the government.
Several firefighters are among the 59 people injured.
"Unfortunately this seems to be the greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires," said Prime Minister Antonio Costa.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40316934

The whole of Europe seems to burn.:nope:

Rhodes 06-18-17 04:41 AM

Yep, every year is the same feces (pardon for the word,but it is what's best to describe). If a heat wave or just rising temperatures to the normal degrees of the season, fires just begin. Some abruptly others not. A few by natural causes and others by criminal hand, unfortunately.
But this situation...:nope::nope::nope: this time, it just turned ugly. Hopefully, it can be a wake up call to resolve the forests situations in the country and get something done.

Eichhörnchen 06-19-17 12:22 PM

I said to Moira earlier today that I was wondering if 'Rhodes' was OK, but that you probably (from your photography) live near the coast. Stay safe, buddy :yep:

Schroeder 06-19-17 12:31 PM

Horrible events there.:-?
At least it wasn't arson as it is so often the case.:down:

Rhodes 06-19-17 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen (Post 2492857)
I said to Moira earlier today that I was wondering if 'Rhodes' was OK, but that you probably (from your photography) live near the coast. Stay safe, buddy :yep:

Yep, but we already had similar situations here, My town has hills/mountain +/- 3km North (but it is in the city area) and it already burned all twice, once in 1993 and the other in 2005, fortunately, there were no victims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schroeder (Post 2492862)
Horrible events there.:-?
At least it wasn't arson as it is so often the case.:down:

Even so, this could not and should not happen! 63 death and 135 hounded is the last count. :nope:

Jimbuna 06-19-17 01:38 PM

Can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like. trapped in a car with no escape route :nope:

BrucePartington 06-19-17 05:32 PM

It wasn't always like this.
I remember two things people did when I was growing up:
a) Pine trees were often "milked" for their sap, and
b)people in rural areas used to collect fallen branches and dried up bushes from the forests around them, to make beds for their animals, thus effectively cleaning up the forests.
Now, every summer is tragedy season.
When it's arson, it is to benefit either people in the wood business or construction. Some areas are protected (think AONB) and development is denied. In more than one occasion, an AONB area was released for development after burning completely.
Can you spell "corruption"?

Commander Wallace 06-20-17 06:09 PM

It's hard to imagine the tragic events there. Thoughts and prayers to those involved or affected by this tragedy.

Mr Quatro 06-20-17 06:43 PM

I counted a lot more than 43 cars and trucks burned just on the news shows ... surely some of them got away running for their dear lives I bet.

Jimbuna 06-21-17 07:45 AM

It was being reported yesterday that a water-dropping plane had crashed while fighting the forest fires but there is still no official confirmation.

Rhodes 06-21-17 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2493466)
It was being reported yesterday that a water-dropping plane had crashed while fighting the forest fires but there is still no official confirmation.

It didn't happened. A trailer with some gas bottles was caught by the fire front and exploded when a Canadair was doing the water drop, so it was thought that was a plane that crashed, but it was denied in the press conference about the day situation status.

Jimbuna 06-21-17 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes (Post 2493503)
It didn't happened. A trailer with some gas bottles was caught by the fire front and exploded when a Canadair was doing the water drop, so it was thought that was a plane that crashed, but it was denied in the press conference about the day situation status.

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that one up.

MaDef 06-21-17 02:24 PM

out of curiosity does Europe not have an integrated wildfire fighting program?

fireftr18 06-21-17 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDef (Post 2493596)
out of curiosity does Europe not have an integrated wildfire fighting program?

I haven't heard anything specific about Europe. I know US and Canada, and they work together. Australia, New Zealand, Russia, China, and South Africa all have a national program. The difference as you can see, other than New Zealand, I named large land area countries.

MaDef 06-21-17 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireftr18 (Post 2493667)
I haven't heard anything specific about Europe. I know US and Canada, and they work together. Australia, New Zealand, Russia, China, and South Africa all have a national program. The difference as you can see, other than New Zealand, I named large land area countries.

I was actually not thinking area but more along the lines of an agency specifically tasked with fighting forest/brush fires Like we have out here in the western U.S.