SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Help me get into IL-2 Sturmovick (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172955)

Safe-Keeper 07-28-10 08:09 PM

Help me get into IL-2 Sturmovick

Okay, so I bought IL-2 some time ago, and I'm having lots of fun with it. Currently watching this video series, which is strangely captivating. However, I find the whole range of x-packs, mods and other add-ons pretty confusing. I've googled, but try as I might, I can't find any web sites that lays everything out neatly for me.

So currently my wishlist is the following:
  • The Norwegian theatre (not that it was much of an action-filled theatre, but hey, I still wanna fly there:O:).
  • The Spitfire and P-51. Can I download these as free content?
  • The Western front (I understand this is added by the Battles Over Europe x-pack?).
Also, as far as I get it, Pacific Fighters is a stand-alone game, not an x-pack, right?

Okay, so that's my wishes and questions. In addition, can anyone give me any recommendations for mods/x-packs/general DLC? I'm currently running vanilla IL-2 and nothing else.

Edit: I also understand there's a third-party campaign generator? If this is anything like SH3 Commander, I'll probably want that, too, right?

Raptor1 07-29-10 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 1455265)
Okay, so I bought IL-2 some time ago, and I'm having lots of fun with it. Currently watching this video series, which is strangely captivating. However, I find the whole range of x-packs, mods and other add-ons pretty confusing. I've googled, but try as I might, I can't find any web sites that lays everything out neatly for me.

Get IL-2 1946.

Quote:

So currently my wishlist is the following:
  • The Norwegian theatre (not that it was much of an action-filled theatre, but hey, I still wanna fly there:O:).
  • The Spitfire and P-51. Can I download these as free content?
  • The Western front (I understand this is added by the Battles Over Europe x-pack?).

All of these are in to some extent, get 1946.

What the hell is a Battles Over Europe?

Quote:

Also, as far as I get it, Pacific Fighters is a stand-alone game, not an x-pack, right?

Yes, but it's moot since 1946 includes it.

Quote:

Okay, so that's my wishes and questions. In addition, can anyone give me any recommendations for mods/x-packs/general DLC? I'm currently running vanilla IL-2 and nothing else.

1946?

Quote:

Edit: I also understand there's a third-party campaign generator? If this is anything like SH3 Commander, I'll probably want that, too, right?

There is DCG... *runs out the door screaming*

Dowly 07-29-10 03:32 AM

Also, I THINK that you can't update anything else than the 1946 to 4.09, which most of the mods are made for.

HunterICX 07-29-10 03:32 AM

Indeed the IL2 1946 DVD is a must have, also if you want to use the mods you'll require IL2 1946.

HunterICX

Raptor1 07-29-10 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1455425)
Also, I THINK that you can't update anything else than the 1946 to 4.09, which most of the mods are made for.

I don't think any of the expansion packs work with the original IL-2 anyway; don't you need FB for them?

Safe-Keeper 07-29-10 04:41 AM

Yeah, found out on my own after making the thread that 1946 contains all the x-packs in one.