SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Do you play with environmental effects enabled? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134146)

Syxx_Killer 03-30-08 08:29 AM

Do you play with environmental effects enabled?

I'm just curious who plays with it enabled. I like the effects it gives except one - the ghost crew. Do you just work around the ghost crew? With it off I get about 10 FPS more, but even with it on it isn't slow. I just feel conflicted about it. :damn::doh:

Meridian 03-30-08 10:08 AM

Well I'm using PE v2 and just turned environment effects off and the fog back on.

Colors and clouds seem to stand out more and somehow I gained a few FPS.

I did have the Environmet on and fog off but now I've reversed it.

Ducimus 03-30-08 12:12 PM

I always play with volumetric fog enabled and enviormental effects off.

I really do like the enviormental effects, but the ghost crew is more then i can tolerate.

TheBlobThing 03-30-08 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus

I play with the exact opposite. I prefer the transparency effect of the water, so I just live with the ghost watch crew.

-Pv- 03-30-08 01:48 PM

I play with everything full up and the particle effects backed off a bit.
-Pv-

Ducimus 03-30-08 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlobThing
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus

I play with the exact opposite. I prefer the transparency effect of the water, so I just live with the ghost watch crew.

Having JUST enviormental fog, allows water transparancy, without the ghost crew.

drjake 03-30-08 02:36 PM

Whats the ghost crew?

Meridian 03-30-08 03:13 PM

If you look at one of your crew while standing on the bridge of your sub you can see right through them to the horizon.

Seeadler 03-30-08 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlobThing
I play with the exact opposite. I prefer the transparency effect of the water

Water transparency is not dependent on the environmental filter.

Environmental filter = on is only for cloudshadows on the water surface since the volumetric fog part has been separated from this filter in patch 1.??

The cons of the cloudshadows shader is the wrong rendering in front of the crew models which make them appear half-transparent in the area above the horizon.

Charlie901 03-30-08 10:12 PM

I look at the "Ghost Crew" as a feature...!!!!

I figure they're meant to be transparent so that they don't block your view. That way you can spot that juicy tanker off the horizon, that would normally have been blocked by your watchman's "Huge" cranium!!! :lol:

AVGWarhawk 03-31-08 08:15 AM

I have the enviro on and fog off. The ghost crew on the bridge does not bother me. I do not spend a whole lot of time looking at them because they are not interactive.

ReallyDedPoet 03-31-08 08:22 AM

I don't even see the " Ghost Crew " anymore :lol::lol:

RDP

DrBeast 03-31-08 08:25 AM

Before upgrading my rig, I'd turn off Volumetric Fog and/or Environmental Effects in Heavy Fog and precipitation, cause they butchered my frame rate (mercilessly...6-8 FPS is NOT fun!). After the upgrade I leave everything on, I've even upped the AA and AF settings, and still I get a steady - and VERY playable - 20-25 FPS in the aforementioned weather conditions (kudos to kriller2!). The ghost crew doesn't really bother me, though it does look surreal, especially with Pacific Environments mod enabled (more kudos to kriller2, just for the heck of it!). Let's just say if I could make a list of bugs/features to be remedied, this one would be very low on my list.

wetwarev7 03-31-08 08:59 AM

I play with both the Enviro and Fog on, just because I can't stand to think that there is a graphics option turned off that could be on. :o

Syxx_Killer 03-31-08 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetwarev7
I play with both the Enviro and Fog on, just because I can't stand to think that there is a graphics option turned off that could be on. :o

lol! :rotfl: That's exactly why I am conflicted about it. It drives me nuts that it is turned off, but that ghost crew annoys me as well. I think I may just turn it on again because I really do like its effects. :doh: