SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Do you ever "wait" when searching for targets? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240962)

Aviv 05-01-19 01:25 PM

Do you ever "wait" when searching for targets?

Once you've arrived at your assigned spot, and are tasked with sinking enemy vessels, do you continue to sail around (perhaps at 1/3 or 2/3) in the hopes of finding contact, or in some spots is it appropriate to sit at all stop and wait for something to hit your radar?

Thoughts?

Fifi 05-01-19 01:44 PM

In open seas, i think it’s best to zigzag at low speed to force the meeting.
But in some hot spots, like in a narrow strait, a harbor exit etc, best is to stand still :yep:
Anyway, when patrolling along a shipping route, soon or later they will come :salute:

jimmbbo 05-01-19 03:13 PM

Zig zag at 1/3 power (the most efficient setting), leg lengths depend on available open ocean space, suspected convoy tracks and whether a search radius is required by the mission orders.

If I'm low on fuel for a time-limited search mission, I'll park the boat in the search radius to run out the clock and gain the points before heading home.
:Kaleun_Cheers:

Sniper297 05-01-19 03:58 PM

I think in real life it's customary to cruise back and forth just fast enough to maintain steerageway.
A British "Bobby" would refer to that as "Loitering with intent"! :cool:

Aktungbby 05-01-19 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper297 (Post 2606737)
I think in real life it's customary to cruise back and forth just fast enough to maintain steerageway.
A British "Bobby" would refer to that as "Loitering with intent"! :cool:

"milling about smartly" comes to mind,:Kaleun_Wink:

Armistead 05-01-19 05:33 PM

We come to a stop, pull out the swim trunks and bbq grill, having total faith in our radar operator..

KaleunMarco 05-01-19 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviv (Post 2606725)
Once you've arrived at your assigned spot, and are tasked with sinking enemy vessels, do you continue to sail around (perhaps at 1/3 or 2/3) in the hopes of finding contact, or in some spots is it appropriate to sit at all stop and wait for something to hit your radar?

Thoughts?

all the time.

once are in your patrol area, you can do a box pattern search or a ladder search or you can set down in the middle of the path and wait for your radar operator to sing out with a contact. it depends on your patrol area.
depending on your mod set your area may draw a lot of traffic or none at all...which has happened to me. if you are shut out for a few days, you need to go on the hunt...find the closest shipping lane.
:salute:

Pisces 05-02-19 11:58 AM

Sure, don't forget hydrophone if you don't have radar yet.

kapuhy 05-02-19 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviv (Post 2606725)

Thoughts?

My experience mostly comes from Atlantic (haven't played American boats since SH1), but in general sitting still on surface is suicide - the boat needs speed to crash dive fast if an aircraft suddenly appears. Submerged - yes, I often sit still for many in-game hours, listening to gramophone and waiting for hydro to pick up a contact.

mikesn9 05-02-19 03:28 PM

I have 'lurked' at times. With radar, watch for contacts.
When you don't have radar, dive and run the sonar around, watching for that green light. You can sometimes pick up a faint sound before the sonar man.
I usually check sonar now and then, even with surface radar, just because.

I have sat at all stop, but usually wander around at 2/3 bell, occasionally less.
With air search radar, even from all stop, you can dive in time to avoid being shark bait.

fireftr18 05-02-19 10:49 PM

I think in real life, the boats patrolled around looking for contacts. I normally just sit my boat in one spot, up time compression and keep an eye on the stop watch for lag. I spend the waiting time being social with my family.

torpedobait 05-03-19 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireftr18 (Post 2606962)
I think in real life, the boats patrolled around looking for contacts. I normally just sit my boat in one spot, up time compression and keep an eye on the stop watch for lag. I spend the waiting time being social with my family.

I do the same, except for the social time thing. I'm alone in the house with 3 dogs during the day, and they don't require much social time with me. They sleep almost all day long.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is when waiting (saving fuel, keeping batteries charged) I put the boat at Decks Awash by setting the depth to 25-27 feet, just low enough as not to be considered "Submerged" for purposes of CO2 accumulation. Diving time is much better with that extra 10-12 feet head start should the need arise.

Wait in a good spot, even just a guess, and eventually they will come to you and reveal their lanes. Almost infallible in my experience!

Red Devil 05-07-19 04:07 AM

whatever your orders are, it matters not. I get sent to Marshall Islands, never any shipping there but go to Gilbert Islands and find quite a few.