SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Hilfskreuzers (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132026)

Raptor1 03-01-08 02:17 PM

Hilfskreuzers/Auxiliary Cruisers

In the 2 times i actually met my friendly Hilfskreuzer, it was flying the Greek flag, do they fly random flags or is it always the Greek flag?

Paajtor 03-01-08 04:50 PM

Not sure...depends on what period of the war, I guess.
Maybe it's hiding under the Greek flag?

Raptor1 03-01-08 04:54 PM

Ofcourse it's hiding under the Greek flag, Nazi Germany never paid any attention to the Geneva conventions as far as i'm aware...

Just wondering if it always flies the Greek one, or does it randomly choose an Allied flag (British/Australian/American...)

I could understand if it's a static Greek flag, as the famous Atlantis flew it during her sinking...

LukeFF 03-02-08 01:14 AM

It always flies the Greek flag.

Raptor1 03-02-08 02:07 AM

Aww, that sucks, think it could be modded to fly random flags?

LukeFF 03-02-08 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1
Aww, that sucks, think it could be modded to fly random flags?

Not that I'm aware of.

elanaiba 03-02-08 03:59 AM

I think we managed to put the flag on the Hilfkreuzer in the ship texture.

So mod the texture, add-it via the cfg file in the roster, and you'll get a new version :)

Raptor1 03-02-08 04:03 AM

Yeah, i thought something along these lines was possible
but i don't know much about modding SH4... :dead:

Guess ill have to start messing around with the files

LukeFF 03-02-08 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba
I think we managed to put the flag on the Hilfkreuzer in the ship texture.

So mod the texture, add-it via the cfg file in the roster, and you'll get a new version :)

Yep, now I see it! Nice little effect there.

elanaiba 03-02-08 04:59 AM

Another thing to note is that the Hilfkreuzer sometimes adds a second (fake) funnel, identical in aspect to the real one. Real practice.

I suggest reading this before passing judgement on the Hilfkreuzers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_flag

Also, before any British subsimmers lay charges against the Germans, I suggest reading the "Master and commander" book series. Seems false flag was usual practice in those days.

Raptor1 03-02-08 05:06 AM

I think there was an article in one of the Geneva conventions (Or maybe some other convention) that made the use of false flags forbidden, wheter there was such a law, it was obviously ignored by both sides...

It shouldn't be too difficult to include different models for the variants with/without the fake funnel, right?

elanaiba 03-02-08 05:11 AM

Not sure if I understand the question?

The Hilfkreuzer IN THE GAME changes to two funnel configuration at some point, and then back and so on. All based on the .eqp file.

Raptor1 03-02-08 05:12 AM

Oh, i havn't seem them do that, or maybe i just wasn't looking :damn:

LukeFF 03-02-08 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba
Another thing to note is that the Hilfkreuzer sometimes adds a second (fake) funnel, identical in aspect to the real one. Real practice.

Nice!

linerkiller 03-03-08 01:28 AM

[quote=Raptor1]I think there was an article in one of the Geneva conventions (Or maybe some other convention) that made the use of false flags forbidden, wheter there was such a law, it was obviously ignored by both sides...
quote] Geneva convention doesnt say nothing about that. The Maritime law allows the using of a false flag during the cruise, but the real flag have to be raised before starting any fight.
You can see this pratice in the 1960-black\white movie "Under ten flags" with Van Heflin,it's also a nice and filological film:yep: