SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   2009 SUBSIM Meet (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   2009 SUBSIM Meet in Copenhagen Announced! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148714)

ReallyDedPoet 02-27-09 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

Originally Posted by reallydedpoet
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carotio
For those of you who missed my photos from my visit to UC3 Nautilus last summer, here's a link for them:
http://carotio.awardspace.com/forum/...php?topic=54.0

Very nice :yep::up:

One of these years I will get to a SUBSIM Meeting.

From where you are you could start walking north until you hit the top. The walk south to Copenhagen :hmmm: Bring warm clothing:D Sled dogs will help too:O:

:D:D

If it was later in the year I could skate there :cool::yep:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4650/skaterrt.jpg

Te Kaha 02-27-09 02:49 PM

Cool, a subsim meeting in Europe, I'll be there!

Already looking up air fares, and my wife allows me to go :D - but only if I buy her Danish wool - know any stores there? :rotfl:

Thomen 02-27-09 03:00 PM

Mhm.. should I be worried that my wife tries to talk me into attending the meeting? :hmmm:

UnderseaLcpl 02-27-09 03:14 PM

I'll be attending for sure. It's just a matter of selecting which beach to land on.:DL

nikimcbee 02-27-09 04:27 PM

I don't think money will be an issue, but time off may be:o . but, I would have accruied some serious time off, so we'll see.:D

nikimcbee 02-27-09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Gonna do my best!

Why bother? Everybody understands Texan!

Man, it would be awesome to have you there, Steve. Let me know what flights you find, so far I am looking at $850 RT flying in to Copehnhagen. I plan to arrive a day early and rent a car and take the 3 hours drive to Kiel to see the U-995, you are welcome to join me. :salute:

wait, how early is early?

McBeck 02-27-09 05:01 PM

Its more like a 6 hrs drive ;)

Chad 02-27-09 05:25 PM

Sounds exciting :)

Sailor Steve 02-27-09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Gonna do my best!

Why bother? Everybody understands Texan!

Man, it would be awesome to have you there, Steve. Let me know what flights you find, so far I am looking at $850 RT flying in to Copehnhagen. I plan to arrive a day early and rent a car and take the 3 hours drive to Kiel to see the U-995, you are welcome to join me. :salute:

Gonna do my best!

No, wait, I already said that!

Anyway, it's true.

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBeck

Damn you, Google Maps, you lied to me. :shucks: 3:46

A day early, Jason, arriving on the morning of the 16th. My plans are still under development, I have not bought a ticket yet so we can coordinate this over the next few weeks.

Laboe, and the U-995: the last survivng Type VII U-boat in the world (worth talking about).

Thomen 02-27-09 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBeck

Damn you, Google Maps, you lied to me. :shucks: 3:46

A day early, Jason, arriving on the morning of the 16th. My plans are still under development, I have not bought a ticket yet so we can coordinate this over the next few weeks.

Laboe, and the U-995: the last survivng Type VII U-boat in the world (worth talking about).

Isn't there another type VII in Chicago? The U-995 is the last VIIC/41 as far as I remember.

Well anyways, if I should be able to make it, I'm gonna swing by Laboe for the memorial/U-995 and Bremerhaven, for U-2540. Either on my way up or back.

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 06:40 PM

Although Wolfgang Peterson kept referring to the U-505 as a Type VII all throught the Das Boot director's commentary, I'm pretty sure it is a Type IX.

Are you German, Thomen? Would it make more sense for me to fly in to Hamburg, take a car to Kiel, then on to Copenhagen?

Thomen 02-27-09 06:48 PM

Quote:

Although Wolfgang Peterson kept referring to the U-505 as a Type VII all throught the Das Boot director's commentary, I'm pretty sure it is a Type IX.

Are you German, Thomen? Would it make more sense for me to fly in to Hamburg, take a car to Kiel, then on to Copenhagen?

Yep, I am. Although I have not been in Kiel or north Germany for around 18 years. You will have to drive the distance anyways, so it does not really matter. Problem can be for the flight back, tho. You will have to get back to Hamburg. Personally, I would probably stick with Copenhagen.

EDIT:
Indeed, 505 was type IX
http://www.uboat.net/boats/u505.htm

Havent watch the commentary yet, so can't comment on what he says.

EDIT 2:
If possible, see if you can get a ticket for either to Hamburg and back through Copenhagen, or into Hamburg and Copenhagen for the flight back. That ought to be the best solution, but the Airlines really do not like stuff like that.

A Very Super Market 02-27-09 06:49 PM

Neal, I'm no German (Or Dane), but wouldn't it be better to take a boat to Copenhagen? Or a direct plane flight?

Onkel Neal 02-27-09 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomen
Quote:

Yep, I am. Although I have not been in Kiel or north Germany for around 18 years. You will have to drive the distance anyways, so it does not really matter. Problem can be for the flight back, tho. You will have to get back to Hamburg. Personally, I would probably stick with Copenhagen.

EDIT 2:
If possible, see if you can get a ticket for either to Hamburg and back through Copenhagen, or into Hamburg and Copenhagen for the flight back. That ought to be the best solution, but the Airlines really do not like stuff like that.

Yeah, I really don't hold out much hope for a DC to Hamburg/Copenhagen to DC lineup, but that would be so cool!. I think you are right, just a flight into Cop. then arrange a car to zip over to Kiel, see Das Boot, then return to Cop.

I've been waiting to see U-995 since I was 9...about 40 years! :woot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Very Super Market
Neal, I'm no German (Or Dane), but wouldn't it be better to take a boat to Copenhagen? Or a direct plane flight?

Better for me from Houston? Or better for you from...where are you again??
Or do you mean a boat from Cop. to Kiel and back?

Please be more clear, you know, I never passed Mindreading 101. :arrgh!: