SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Restarting . . . . . . . forever (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229398)

Reece 01-22-17 11:52 PM

Restarting . . . . . . . forever

First off I lost all my icons on the screen, so I tried restarting and all the computer does is show "RESTARTING" with the revolving circle of dots.
If I turn the computer off and restart the same thing is displayed, I can't even get into the bios to boot off the BD-Drive.:wah:
This computer is driving me nuts!!:/\\!!

Well after a half hour it restarted, This has something to do with the icons disappearing, happened before but had to do a backup restore.
The icons on the desktop disappear as well as the Control panel icons, recycle bin etc, also can't start applications from any of these locations, only the original windows icon locations. I deleted the icon cache from the cmd prompt, restarted but it did not fix it.

Onkel Neal 01-23-17 06:37 AM

Windows 10?

Reece 01-23-17 07:05 AM

Whoops, forgot to mention that!!:oops: Yes Windows 10.:yep:

propbeanie 01-23-17 07:32 AM

Do you get a "file not found...", or some other kind of error message when you try to use a short-cut?

AVGWarhawk 01-23-17 04:13 PM

Bootloop.

Is this a new install of W10? Sometimes there are so many updates the W10 will load some and reboot. This will continue for some time.

Reece 01-23-17 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2460090)
Do you get a "file not found...", or some other kind of error message when you try to use a short-cut?

No, seems nothing is there except the text, even on the launch bar, Microsoft system type programs launch ok but the icons are weird, yellow generic, haven't had a close look.:hmmm:
@ AVGWarhawk, I have only had this laptop for about 3 weeks, it was new and Windows 10 was on it, I would have gotten one with Win 7 but are like hens teeth now.:doh:

Someone has pointed me here (recommended), I will give it a try::yep:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ws_repair.html

nikimcbee 01-23-17 09:50 PM

[in my best Indian accent]
Thank-you Mr. Reece for calling the subsim IT dept. Is your computer plugged in?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/0a/0a389...a99b6a5917.jpg

nikimcbee 01-23-17 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 2460038)
First off I lost all my icons on the screen,

This has something to do with the icons disappearing, .

Have you called an Orthodox priest? Sounds like you need an exorcism. Here is a new icon to get you by.

http://modeoflife.files.wordpress.co...-australia.jpg

Reece 01-24-17 02:52 AM

Well after running that repairer for 2.5 hours it didn't fix it!!:wah:

propbeanie 01-24-17 06:59 AM

It "lost" its icon library, which is something Win31 used to do - but this is more... Only the "system" kind of stuff will run? Can you use Explorer (or whatever they call it now) to drill down into and through the folders, to find an exe file to run? Like SH4.exe, and see if it goes from a direct double-click tickling?... Explorer should be on the main start menu, up by the top, "stickied"... maybe - if the system didn't lose it... Does the "Search" thingie work at the lower left? Do you have a restore disk to start all over again, if you have to? or an image on another partition?

Reece 01-24-17 07:14 AM

I didn't know all this time but it seems it could have something to do with my second external monitor, I will check that out tomorrow.:yep:

Reece 01-24-17 07:20 PM

Didn't fix it!!
I noticed that in file explorer going to any files in a folder no icons shown at all. Also I noted that 64 bit applications don't work, only 32 bit.:hmmm:

propbeanie 01-24-17 10:36 PM

Is your computer by chance in "Tablet" mode? Bottom right on the taskbar is the "Action Center" button, looks like a little square text bubble, like is used in the newspaper comics. Click on that and the Action Center opens. See if the "Tablet" button is depressed. That repair program you ran for 2.5 hours, did it "rebuild" the icon cache? You could try searching on that, and will even find a youtube video, though I don't know how much I'd trust a youtube vid... :lol:

As for the 64-bit apps not running, did you by chance happen to use "compatibility mode" on something recently, and maybe put that on something that shouldn't have it? The only reason a 64-bit OS won't run 64-bit apps is if the computer is in a 32-bit mode, like a Windows XP emulation... Do you have Windows 10 Pro, with all it's fancy stuff, like Hyper-V? Are you in a Virtual PC there?...

My shoulder is bothering me again tonight, so I can't sleep, and just happened to think, you didn't by chance happen to install any 32-bit security software did you? Like a malware scanner or anti-virus, that all your 64-bit apps are having to go through?...

Reece 01-25-17 01:24 AM

Been through the tablet mode tries previously with no luck, yes I did rebuild the icon cache, had to do it through cmd prompt.
Don't know what Hyper V is or Virtual PC and at 65yo don't want to know!!:oops::doh:
The antivirus software that was installed when I got this machine new, factory sealed, was McAfee, what that was I couldn't tell you, its trial version run out so I removed it, had the problem while it was in.:hmmm:
This computer come with this stupid Windows 10 64 Home setup on it with McAfee trial crap as well but no disk so who knows how to reinstall it, but even so I don't know if I even want to.:/\\!!
Nothing like buying a $1,500 Clayton's computer (3 weeks ago) that still won't work!!:timeout:

propbeanie 01-25-17 12:23 PM

If you've got the Home version, there is no Hyper-V thingie on it. Most of these computer manufacturer's can't afford to give you a recovery DVD, since the disks are ~so~ expensive :roll:... ahem... Anyway, if you didn't make a recovery DVD-R, and / or an OS installation disk, you probably don't have one. There's probably a restore partition on the hard drive, like a drive D, that has a restore image in it. You could try that, but each manufacturer does theirs a wee bit different, so if they gave you any "documentation" (might be a pdf on the hard drive), read up on the procedure first. That blows away all your files, and takes the computer back to day one of it's "life".

You could call the purchase point (Clayton's??) and tell them your experience, and see what they can do for you. Tell them you haven't even had a chance to make a set of backup disks yet. They might offer to let you buy a set ("For a reduced price! ~IF~ you act NOW~").