SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Help! Multiple SH5 Installs (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233399)

lowbow 09-14-17 03:00 PM

Help! Multiple SH5 Installs

Hello To All Salts,
I'm looking for some help.
Does anyone know how to go about getting maybe two installs of SH5 on two different hard drives on same System ?
I have seen a post by 'BAKA', but I'm looking for a step-by-step guide as to how this could be done. Especially so that one install in no way affects the other(s).
I want to keep one for playing the game with TWoS etc, and another for trying & testing out mods.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards lowbow.

Cyborg322 09-16-17 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbow (Post 2512547)
Hello To All Salts,
Does anyone know how to go about getting maybe two installs of SH5 on two different hard drives on same System ?
I have seen a post by 'BAKA', but I'm looking for a step-by-step guide as to how this could be done. Especially so that one install in no way affects the other(s).
I want to keep one for playing the game with TWoS etc, and another for trying & testing out mods.
Regards lowbow.

Why not just disable WOS with JSGME ? and do historical mission

Most other Mods are not compatible with WOS is it worthwhile having 2 installs ?

lowbow 09-16-17 10:04 AM

Hi Cyborg322,
Thanks for your reply, but the whole idea is to ultimately have a stock game with it set up as to how I want it. The WoS is brilliant, and I'm really enjoying it, but there is some aspects I don't like.
Also I would like to try and get into modding in some shape or form and I wouldn't want to alter TWoS game I'm playing, just in case anything becomes corrupted.
My original idea of another install would be more useful.
If you come across anything please let me know.
Regards lowbow.

vdr1981 09-16-17 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbow (Post 2512960)
Hi Cyborg322,
Thanks for your reply, but the whole idea is to ultimately have a stock game with it set up as to how I want it. The WoS is brilliant, and I'm really enjoying it, but there is some aspects I don't like.

Maybe I could be of help there? :hmm2: Maybe some unofficial optional addons which would fit the game to your taste or maybe an advice how to easily accomplish this using existing optional addons and/or built in Options File Editor?:yep:
What do you dislike exactly?

lowbow 09-16-17 10:49 AM

Hi vdr1981,
First off, I'm sorry if I've mislead you. I think TWoS is brilliant and I'm enjoying it. But I'm trying to get my grandsons (next gen subbers) used to playing SH5. I have them really interested, but here is what I meant by saying "aspects I don't like". It's just too hard-core for them at the moment.
Thanks for reply. TWoS is great & I hope you keep up the good work.
Regards lowbow.

THEBERBSTER 09-16-17 10:57 AM

Hi lb
The 2 mega mods I would like to be have at the same time are TWOS and sobers mega mod.
TWOS is a Career game and sobers is a Campaign game.
The interfaces and command structures are both different to a certain degree and that I find interesting.
Peter

lowbow 09-16-17 05:54 PM

Hi vdr1981,
There is another good reason from THEBERBSTER for being able to have multiple installs of SH5 on same system.
Regards lowbow.

vdr1981 09-16-17 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbow (Post 2513088)
Hi vdr1981,
There is another good reason from THEBERBSTER for being able to have multiple installs of SH5 on same system.
Regards lowbow.

Of course...I was just asking...:up:

Kapten Nemo 09-16-17 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbow (Post 2512547)
Hello To All Salts,
Regards lowbow.

I am playing with 3 install of SH5 at the moment, SH5 with TWoS, SH5 with Wolfes from the Deep, and the other SH5 stock with JSGME.

I done it with this "SH5 Install Switch by Targor Avelany" http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=199672

We just copy and paste the stock Ubisoft/Silent Hunter5 folder to any location in same drive or other drive, and change the folder name a bit like Ubisoft/SH5 TWoS or Ubisoft/SH5 WftD if we copy/paste it to same drive, and then run the SH5 Install switch.exe to choose which SH5 we want to play.

Do not forget to manually change or rename the Documents/SH5 folder every time we change the SH5 version, SH5 always use the Documents/SH5 folder name regardless whatever version we play, so if we want to play SH5 stock version run it with Documents/SH5 folder, but if we play other version like Ubisoft/SH5 TWoS, then we must rename the Documents/SH5 folder to other name like Documents/SH5 Stock, so we get the other Documents/SH5 folder and the right save game file. In my documents folder right now I have Documents/SH5 folder, Documents/SH5 TWos folder and Documents/SH5 WftD folder. Which version we want to play just change the associated documents folder to Documents/SH5.

:Kaleun_Cheers:

THEBERBSTER 09-17-17 02:36 AM

Hi KN
If you were to use a cracked SH5.exe which I believe is what BL!TZKR!EG is referring too in his post, then surely Uplay is not involved as it is disabled.
I know nothing about programming but just thinking logically about it.
Would be interested to know if that would work.
Peter

lowbow 09-17-17 02:13 PM

3 install of SH5

Hi Kapten Nemo,
Thanks for the heads-up on how to do multi installs of SH5.
I will give it a try.
Just a question though. Are you still running your 3 installs of SH5 through Uplay Launcher ?
Regards lowbow.:Kaleun_Salute:

lowbow 09-17-17 02:15 PM

Hi Peter, (THEBERBSTER),
The SH5 version I’m using is ‘SH5 GOLD EDITION’ which is downloaded & installed from UPLAY, (but running it Offline).
I also own an original SH5 DVD that I bought when game was released, and the v1.2 Pach.
I know enough bits and pieces about programming to get me by, and I think you’re right about what BL!TZKR!EG is referring to.
There may be an issue though by using a cracked SH5.exe. From the research I’ve done so far on the subject, it seems there was a fault that prevented some progression either in missions or campaign. I don’t know if that still exists, as the info I could see was in the early days of the game before it was patched to v1.2.
May be some looking at this post will be able to let us know one way or the other.
But now reading the post #9 here by ‘Kapten Nemo’ I’m going to give that a try, (without ULAY I hope).
I’ll let you know how it turns out. Most likely here in this post.
Regards Lachie(lowbow).

THEBERBSTER 09-17-17 03:27 PM

Hi Lachie
Quote:

There may be an issue though by using a cracked SH5.exe. From the research I’ve done so far on the subject, it seems there was a fault that prevented some progression either in missions or campaign. I don’t know if that still exists, as the info I could see was in the early days of the game before it was patched to v1.2.
Your information may be accurate but it will depend on the expertise of the programmer as to how the crack exe was produced.
It would take somone with a good understanding of programming to patch the SH5.exe.

Uplay uses 3 different types of SH5.exe AFAIK.
Dvd
Steam
Download
These all have different attributes which make them unique to each version.

TDW's Generic File Patcher patches the SH5 exe as we see it happening and have to respond to it but it does not affect the game launcher by removing it from the game.
Peter

lowbow 09-18-17 02:20 PM

Hi Peter (THEBERBSTER),
I've got a couple of fresh installs of SH5 done this evening on two different drives & I'm going to see how it goes with 'SH5 Install Switch by Targor Avelany'.
It may be a day or two before I will be back to let you know results as I'm going to sickbay tomorrow.
Got one last queery, but I'll put it on Tutorial page.
Regards Lachie(lowbow).

lowbow 09-20-17 11:09 AM

Hi Cyborg322,
Thanks for the PM.
I'm putting reply here so that everyone interested can view my findings.
You're right SH5 Install switch is really no use to me as I'm running 2 installs of SH5 on 2 different drives without any problems.
Really all that has to be paid VERY PARTICULAR ATTENTION to is the SH5 folders that both installs create in USER/NAME/DOCUMENTS/.
Just a case of, after first install, say on drive 'D', go and add something to the created SH5 folder in DOCUMENTS - 'SH5(stock)' for example. This is so 2nd install will not touch it.
Now after 2nd install, say on drive 'E', this 2nd game will give you a SH5 folder in DOCUMENTS. Then add something to this folder - SH5(Mega Mod) for example.
All that you need to do is to go to whichever install you want to run and delete the extra part you typed at end of the SH5 folder in DOCUMENTS so it reverts back to just 'SH5'.
JUST REMEMBER WHATEVER INSTALL YOU WISH TO PLAY REMOVE THE EXTRA TEXT SO THAT IT JUST SHOWS 'SH5' AND LEAVE THE EXTRA TEXT ON THE OTHER 'SH5' FOLDER. WHEN YOU WANT TO RUN THE OTHER ONE JUST REVERSE THE PROCESS.
Hope this was helpful.
Regards Lachie(lowbow).:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up: