SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   The Movie Thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204774)

Herr-Berbunch 05-31-13 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2065573)
For some of us that's the only way to watch a foreign film. Some people say they hate to "read" a movie, but I'd rather do that than listen to bad dubbing.

I sat down to watch Crouching Tiger the other night, after 30 seconds I realised it was all dubbed and turned it off. I have it on DVD from years ago, still in the wrapper, I'll just have to dig it out - but now it's going to wait for a bit longer.

Stealhead 05-31-13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 2065419)
Actually, the BluRay version is edited version of the Assembly Cut.

I notice with some Blurays it seems that they simply transferred the film to a higher quality and usually include the same extras that the previous DVD had when something gets changed they do not even bother to list it many times.they do that so much they do not even mention changes sometimes.

@Cybermat47 its not that the original cut of Alien 3 is bad it just has so many holes in it and the character development is just horrible after you watch it you walk away knowing that it should have been so much better.

@Herr-Berbunch if you own a Bluray you can surely change the audio to Mandarin and the subtitles to the language you want to read.You might have to do it via the set up menu or by using the pop up menus.It must just default to play dubbed.

For me it must be subtitled if it is in a different language FTW.I want to hear the emotion in the actors original language.It just does not feel right to see the words not match with a dubbed film.I was very happy to see that my Godzilla box set had both the Japanese and English version of each movie.

Red October1984 05-31-13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 2065543)
Prometheus

I really liked Prometheus. There have been a ton of negative reviews of it that I've read and I didn't think it was bad at all.

Herr-Berbunch 05-31-13 01:30 PM

@Stealhead - I know, but the disc was in a bedroom cupboard where the wife was sleeping (the bedroom, not in the cupboard), I'd chosen to watch it on-demand but it was dubbed. If there was an option to use subtitles then the spoken language would still have been in English. I'll watch it one day, and it will be original language with English subtitles. :D

Cybermat47 05-31-13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 2065654)
I really liked Prometheus. There have been a ton of negative reviews of it that I've read and I didn't think it was bad at all.

I got it recently. Brilliant movie, and I loved the ending.

WernherVonTrapp 05-31-13 02:38 PM

Hmmm, I've watched a lot of movies over the years. Don't know if it's possible for me to pick a favorite. I'll list some of the more exceptional ones, old and new.

The African Queen
Mister Roberts (The original one)
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison
The Longest Day
Cool Hand Luke
Deliverance
The Shawshank Redemption
Empire Of The Sun
The Aviator
Running Scared
Shutter Island
Michael Collins
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
The Boondock Saints
The Departed
Good Will Hunting
Inception

There's just too many to remember.:hmmm::wah:

Stealhead 05-31-13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch (Post 2065712)
@Stealhead - I know, but the disc was in a bedroom cupboard where the wife was sleeping (the bedroom, not in the cupboard), I'd chosen to watch it on-demand but it was dubbed.

That is one of the reasons why I do not really like On Demand you get the same problem in the US.I do not use Netflix or other streaming services for the same reason and they also have lower quality than a bluray will have not much but still.

Another good movie I forgot to mention is "City of God" about the favelas in Brazil in Rio De Janeiro brutal movie.I think that one is only available in Brazilian Portuguese with subs.

@Werner I like "Empire of the Sun" as well.

u crank 05-31-13 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealhead (Post 2065823)
Another good movie I forgot to mention is "City of God" about the favelas in Brazil in Rio De Janeiro brutal movie.I think that one is only available in Brazilian Portuguese with subs.

That is a good movie. Seen it a couple of times. A little disturbing but well made and a good story. :up:

Red October1984 06-01-13 12:52 AM

I watched the Chiller channel's "5 Senses of Fear" movie twice tonight. It was okay. Nothing great. It was 5 different mini stories that are loosely intertwined. Like most of the movies on the Chiller channel, it doesn't blow you away or even actually scare you.

It was a good little time-waster movie. :doh:

Eisenwurst 06-01-13 01:42 AM

For Sailor Steve, and anyone else who might be interested, here's the "trailer" for "Viva Maria".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdU2VKZpGd0

Bridgette Bardot really was a stunner, and a great actress.

Good luck trying to find it though. However there are a few snippets on youtube.

Sailor Steve 06-01-13 09:26 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eisenwurst (Post 2065937)
Good luck trying to find it though.

It's been available on DVD since 2005.
http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Maria-Bri...rds=viva+maria

Dowly 06-01-13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2065573)
For some of us that's the only way to watch a foreign film. Some people say they hate to "read" a movie, but I'd rather do that than listen to bad dubbing.

Thankfully, in Finland only cartoons and kids' movies are sometimes dubbed.
Everything else is subtitled. :yep:

Spiced_Rum 06-01-13 11:59 AM

My list of favourite films changes with time but one that I love to watch over and over again is 'Groundhog Day'. I just wish that it was longer, and had more Phil the Groundhog scenes. I am a fan of Bill Murray's work, especially enjoy Ghostbusters and The Life Aquatic.

And I will always watch a Bond movie if it is on.

kranz 06-01-13 12:20 PM

I forgot about one: Training Day

Dowly 06-01-13 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kranz (Post 2066142)
I forgot about one: Training Day

Love those kind of movies, so: Serpico :up: