SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Whats the problem with new models? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232305)

cj95 07-03-17 11:10 AM

Whats the problem with new models?

Im computer illiterate but Im just wondering why exactly there is an issue in adding new models to the game.

Is it a manner of cannot...or will not?

I have a few theories but may be wrong on all of them:

POSSIBILITIES:

1. It is physically impossible to add models. The game can only have the models it has currently and not even the DEVS can add more.

2. It is possible to add, but for "reasons" the DEV has chosen not to allow this at this time. Presumably through encryption or other methods.

3. It is possible to add, but requires a very long process.....this is hopeful because it indicates that in the future new stuff may come to light after much toil and sweat on the modders behalf.

4...other reasons?

Wiz33 07-03-17 12:11 PM

3D unit models are not moddable by user. I guess user generated 3D model may not have all the necessary data imbedded and may cause problem with the core game (damage location, smoke/fire placement, collision modeling, etc). They Dev will be adding more units in the future as they add other countries and a soviet campaign.

PL_Harpoon 07-03-17 12:47 PM

First of all, there's no limit on number of models in the game engine (Unity).
Theoretically it is also possible within the engine to allow usage of external 3d models (look at Kerbal Space Program for example).

However...

Unity does not have a native support for external model so adding it requires some work from the developers (the aforementioned KSP uses their own custom build file system for that).

It is also possible to replace current models/textures with your own if you decompile the package files. I would strongly advice against that for a couple of reasons though.
Firstly it can mess up the game.
Secondly, the devs clearly showed their willingness to work with the community. So, even if they purposefully choose not to allow 3rd party models we should respect that and not mess up with files they don't want us to mess with. Perhaps it will be added in the future, but for now I suggest we stick with things we can mod.

Onkel Neal 07-03-17 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon (Post 2497076)
First of all, there's no limit on number of models in the game engine (Unity).
Theoretically it is also possible within the engine to allow usage of external 3d models (look at Kerbal Space Program for example).

However...

Unity does not have a native support for external model so adding it requires some work from the developers (the aforementioned KSP uses their own custom build file system for that).

It is also possible to replace current models/textures with your own if you decompile the package files. I would strongly advice against that for a couple of reasons though.
Firstly it can mess up the game.
Secondly, the devs clearly showed their willingness to work with the community. So, even if they purposefully choose not to allow 3rd party models we should respect that and not mess up with files they don't want us to mess with. Perhaps it will be added in the future, but for now I suggest we stick with things we can mod.

:Kaleun_Wink: Nominated!

caine007 07-03-17 08:17 PM

Generally the model files the content creators use and the model files the game uses are different for a number of reasons and they're converted and/or packed to save space when the game is built. The process is usually one way (not least of which because otherwise people can steal the base model files for their own use)

Adding new models without the complete unbuilt game files requires specific support within the game itself.

zachanscom 07-03-17 08:23 PM

but i want high resolution models of all the subs. the victor's sonary array pod isn't round enough :yep:

cj95 07-03-17 10:48 PM

Fair 'nuff!

I don't have a problem with the DEVS designing it in such a fashion, I was just wondering what the exact issue was.

I for one am having so much fun that I'd happily pay $$$ for a DLC sub-pack full of new models from the developer.:yep:

zachanscom 07-04-17 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj95 (Post 2497228)
Fair 'nuff!

I don't have a problem with the DEVS designing it in such a fashion, I was just wondering what the exact issue was.

I for one am having so much fun that I'd happily pay $$$ for a DLC sub-pack full of new models from the developer.:yep:

same. higher poly count, more rounded corners :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

wstlndwarrior 07-04-17 01:50 PM

I thought the "devs" were from the modding community

Aktungbby 07-04-17 02:07 PM

welcome aboard!

wstlndwarrior!:Kaleun_Salute:

Capt Jack Harkness 07-04-17 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachanscom (Post 2497396)
same. higher poly count, more rounded corners :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

+1 Don't forget sharper textures and maps to put on the prettier models.

max-peck 07-04-17 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstlndwarrior (Post 2497406)
I thought the "devs" were from the modding community

No

The Devs are the two people (I think) who make up KillerFish Games

The Modders are members of SUBSIM who like to tinker and add stuff as separate MODS to the game (no disrespect intended :03:)

Luckily Killerfish Games interact with the members of SUBSIM and listen to us, adding in stuff in patches based upon our feedback :up: